• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-04-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What about the middle-ish route? Not buying DVDs, but using Netflix methodically to quickly burn through series? Depending on the plan, you might only end up spending a very minimal amount per disc. Anyone have more info on how well this helps? I was thinking of doing this. Hell, even then you could possibly do a DVD rip and money would have still gone somewhere to help.

I have a Netflix account. As long as you have enough time to watch the DVDs fairly soon after you get them, it's very, very much worth it. Particularly for someone like me who rarely watches fansubs, but feels uneasy about buying something she hasn't seen. Normally by the time you get through the first two volumes or so you'll know if you want to buy the show or if you'd rather just continue renting it, too.

That being said, for some older shows (the two I noticed were Full Metal Panic and Neon Genesis Evangelion), some of the discs are missing, and it looks like they don't have any plans of replacing them. If you were *only* planning on renting the discs, and not buying them...well, that's a big pain. So it's not perfect sadly, but it's still a good way to preview something that's already come out in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Serafuku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
TheBigN wrote:
I'd like to think that what happens in the comic is the exception rather than the rule. Razz

Then you'd be sticking your head in the sand. xP
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Imagine how much worse this debate would be if Asian Guy wasn't banned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What about the middle-ish route? Not buying DVDs, but using Netflix methodically to quickly burn through series? Depending on the plan, you might only end up spending a very minimal amount per disc. Anyone have more info on how well this helps? I was thinking of doing this. Hell, even then you could possibly do a DVD rip and money would have still gone somewhere to help.
If nothing else, you encourage the renter to stock more anime titles by renting them in the first place, so some money goes back into the system. The problem isn't so much the amount you put back in, it's the need for something to be going back in. If the companies making anime see no return, they die. The more return, the more product and the better the product they can turn out.

A lot of people complain about moe and harem series but that's one of the things the Japanese market can turn a good profit on. The more mainstream (for us) series often require good sales overseas to be worthwhile productions.

Again, I'm not going to rant at downloaders. Heck, I think the Japanese should have instituted a legal, cheap downloading service as soon as they saw there was a market for it. If that had happened, I doubt we'd be seeing many, if any, problems right now. However, at this point, DVD sales really are one of the biggest ways the productions pay for themselves.
yukikanou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
It's funny because it's true, sadly. Very Happy

I agree!

Quote:
I have a Netflix account. As long as you have enough time to watch the DVDs fairly soon after you get them, it's very, very much worth it. Particularly for someone like me who rarely watches fansubs, but feels uneasy about buying something she hasn't seen. Normally by the time you get through the first two volumes or so you'll know if you want to buy the show or if you'd rather just continue renting it, too.

How about going to Right Stuf International and getting their deals? Just an idea. =)
parakiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
very cute Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Well for starters a dvd rip is still illegal. It's still the illegal copying of copyrighted material. I mean how do you think fansubs come to be? A great many from R2 rips.

That aside Netflix is a godsend. I have their 4 dvds at a time unlimited rentals plan. I can get one shipment every week so that's 16 dvds a month. At just $20 bucks a dvd that would cost $320 bucks before tax. All for the price of 1 dvd plus tax. Not to mention all their unlimited plans come with unlimited "Play Now" movies. So if a certain movie or anime series is on their Play Now list you get your rentals and can Play Now as many titles as you want bringing that total of 16 up even more.

I wonder if Nina has a netflix account?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
So was I the only Dragon Quest fan disappointed to be led into the comic with the slime bit and then find it was being used to describe a crazed fan? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
A little king slime happy turned a little king slime sad?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Good comic strip as always. I still don't understand why dub haters will go for an unprofessionally subtitled version of something over the official. Especially when the official version still lets you hear the original voices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Good comic strip as always. I still don't understand why dub haters will go for an unprofessionally subtitled version of something over the official. Especially when the official version still lets you hear the original voices.

Because they're weird...?

But then, I pay for all of my anime.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

This is going to sound catty and/or rude, but I purely mean it in jest:

Considering your avatar is from an anime season that's never been licensed, I can't imagine you pay for all of your anime. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

This is going to sound catty and/or rude, but I purely mean it in jest:

Considering your avatar is from an anime season that's never been licensed, I can't imagine you pay for all of your anime. Wink

Very Happy

Photobucket!
Mmsven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
x1onexwo1fx wrote:
I really regret having to watch fansubs, but I don't have cable to watch Anime on TV, nor am I old enough to make my own money to buy DVDs. However, once I can, I plan on buying complete box sets of the Anime that I really love. I hope I'm not the only fansub-watcher that actually plans on spending money. I also hope that this little post of mine sheds some light on those fansub-watcher-haters.

I'm 15 and making $350 every 2 weeks, and also still in school. How old are you? Most people under 14 can't write as well as you do. Your post isn't shedding any light on my skin.

I also have to pay a larger amount for anime since I live in Canada, where anime prices are even higher in most cases.

The "don't have a job" excuse is weak, along with every other excuse fansub-watchers come up with.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Imagine how much worse this debate would be if Asian Guy wasn't banned.
Oh Nice one this. Nina goes to Japan and meets Asian Guy. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9