• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Secret of Blue Earth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
A fellow Amazing Agent Luna fan?! Excellent Cool
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
Ouch...at least based on the earlier review, Project Blue Earth sounded like the best thing since sliced bread to me. Then again, I'm a total sucker for campy television, especially of the sci-fi variety. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
Kind of torpedos the old wives myth that "cold weather breeds colds", but it is true that working in AC buildings and then going out into the oven outside stresses one's immune system that might already be stressed by a virus causing one to succume. A cool bath, or shower does help to douse a fever in lou of any AC in such heat.
Hope you get better soon Bamboo.
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
Hello! Cool

I am glad to see the positive review of The Wallflower. I have the manga and I am glad to be getting the anime. I really like the dub cast especially Hannah Alcorn as Sunako.

I hope that you get better Bamboo.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 am Reply with quote
Technically I would Place Project Blue Earth closer Johnny Quest than Scooby Doo, the show is meant to evoke classic 50's sci-fi and the Gerry Anderson supermarionation shows (Stingray, Thunderbirds, Capt. Scarlet), but to each his/her own.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Project Blue Earth seemed to coma across as a cross between Thunderbirds and Dan Dare. If you have no idea what those are, then you probably won't enjoy it. If you do, then I can confirm that yes, they do have both hypersonic spacecraft AND magnetic-tape-based data storage.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
I love the Boxcar Children. That was an awesome book series Smile
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
And your favorite book would be. . .

Just wonderin'.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Zicam, but I've had excellent luck with Cold-Eeze drops in reducing the duration/severity of a cold. (After a few days, there's the notable sides effect of a lasting sweet taste after finishing a drop, plus some crazy-bad cotton mouth.)

Just watched Wallflower vol.2, and laughed my lil' head off. I kinda like the goth-loli girls... but that's proably becuase I take my anime in fairly small doses, so I'm only up to mild annoyance at the end of the disc, then get some time to reset before the next.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
Any chance of Project Blue Earth being connected to Nadia in any way? I haven't seen any of Blue Earth but from the way the characters look they look slightly comparable.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Just wonderin'.

Is this directed at me?
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

Just wonderin'.

Is this directed at me?

I think it was directed at Bamboo, who mentioned that the Shelf Obsessed person had "her favorite book" :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Did they leave something out of the enhanced version of Angel Sanctuary?

I bought this from CPM ages ago & watched it a couple times with my daughter who had to be 11 or 12 & we both managed to follow the plot just fine. It doesn't spell everything out, but that's what something gave us brains for. This would also be long before Viz released the manga as I recall. I was reading the manga, but gave it up because I was reading too many other stories. I always figured I'd go back someday, but there's tons of others. Now my daughter's into yaoi, she's annoyed at how certain members of the yaoi community go on like this gal's stuff is gold, but Angel Sanctuary is another that sort of skirts yaoi. One can read some stuff into it (yes, Rosiel's servant is very devoted to him. Yes, Kira is faithful to Setsuna. Where I stopped, there weren't any real yaoi couples going). The biggest problem is Setsuna is very much an unsympathetic hero. He's too much of a pain to ever really feel sorry for him, but there are some nice peripheral characters. Depending on the price (& I think it was as cheap as $10 from CPM. I believe mine was a 2-pak with something else), it's not a bad anime if you like support cast. I seem to recall an interesting interview with Crispin Freeman also.
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo's "favorite book" = The Art of War or maybe the English Dictionary? Surprised

Just joking around. Really, for a Saikano fan, I would bet it was The Five People You Meet in Heaven ...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Project Blue is meant to be campy and silly. If you go into it expecting anything serious, you're missing the point. Then again, not everyone's a huge fan of campy, silly, old-fashioned SciFi the way I am. This is a love-it-or-hate-it series, for sure.

Don't bother with the Angel Sanctuary OVA; save your money and invest in the manga instead. The anime was basically an advertisement for it, and doesn't cover things any near as well as the manga does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2