• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-04-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh Nice one this. Nina goes to Japan and meets Asian Guy. Laughing

As amusing as that might be seeing Nina interact with him, I'd feel like it would be ennobling the time that he spent here.

Still, it was nice to say that, even though the rest of us may have our own disagreements with each other from time to time, we could all agree on one thing: that guy was a jerk. I would specifically look at his profile to see where else he was making a fool of himself at the time.

The strange thing will be if some of us start to miss him. Maybe it's some kind of freaky Stockholm Syndrome thing going on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Imagine how much worse this debate would be if Asian Guy wasn't banned.

We do not mention he who shall not be named. Twisted Evil
misosoupwitheggplant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I really have to laugh at how sad and true this comic is.

Two years ago, I had a friend who insisted on watching Full Moon, Fushigi Yugi, Tokyo Mew Mew, Mermaid Melody, etc. subs on youtube and never did anything to support them. She also downloaded the games online, as well as many other games for the DS and the GBA. Called the Japanese versions crap, calling the Chinese version as 'far superior.' Haven't heard from her since sixth grade.

I try to get most of my movies on Netflix, or just buying the dvds and manga. If I must use the internet, I try to buy the dvds as soon as possible, even if there are no dvds in America yet. Hasn't that slug heard of some things like Anime Gamers? Right Stuff? FYI? Sometimes Hot Topic? He could at least buy the merchandise. -Shows off her 'emo' Death note bag, her Haruhi headband, her Kakashi doll, and her Kon plush.-
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely hilarious, almost everyone at the anime club I used to lead only watched fansubs on (fill in anime streaming site here).

Definitely should include Asian Guy at some point.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

As amusing as that might be seeing Nina interact with him, I'd feel like it would be ennobling the time that he spent here.

Still, it was nice to say that, even though the rest of us may have our own disagreements with each other from time to time, we could all agree on one thing: that guy was a jerk. I would specifically look at his profile to see where else he was making a fool of himself at the time.

The strange thing will be if some of us start to miss him. Maybe it's some kind of freaky Stockholm Syndrome thing going on.
I understand your feelings here, but still it would be a good parody of that extreme from the other one shown in this issue. I don't know about anyone else, but I visualised Asian Guy to look like the stereotypical Japanese nationalist of WW2, just by his extreme views in his posting, problem with him was he didn't know when to take his foot off the accelerator and just coast for a while. If he isn't Japanese, he sure worships them like he is. Some mothers do have 'em.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
I've heard of Asian Guy (just from people complaining about him), but I unfortunately (or fortunately?) did not see any of his posts, so I wouldn't be able to parody him. Unless there are any hilarious examples on threads that haven't been deleted that someone could link me to. I can't promise anything of course, but I'm always searching for more comedic ammo... >.<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
8JF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
All of the remaining posts for Asian Guy are here.
His website link from his profile is here.

If you ask around I'm sure someone has screen caps of his adventures on ANN.
504NOSON

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
First off,How can he follow the Cartoon Network airings of the show,when there almost 100 episodes behind the Japanese broadcast and as far as DVD releases go,they've only released like the 1st 2 seasons,so if he's been following fansubs on Youtube,than,if he were to "watch them on cable" than He'd be watching the same episodes over again. Second,ANN constantly rag's on fansubs and fansubbers but still watches them and even use to list them. Regardless of if Spice and Wolf has not been licensed America,IT'S STILL FANSUBBED!!! Now,yes,I do agree with the depiction of the standard noob Anime fan who claims to hate dub. I Myself was arguing face to face with one last week. The poor fool claimed to "not want to watch that American dub sh*t" and "only watch the Japanese version,fansubbed or raw" and the idiot can't speak a single word of Japanese,heck,he could barely speak English. But that's about all agree with in this "comic" strip.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Nina could be thrown into one of those "Anime dimonsion" that Asian Guy mentioned. Laughing Laughing

8JF wrote:
His website link from his profile is here.

Asian Guy wrote:
Note : We are not accepting member or customer of those who nuke Japanese for a very good reason

WTH Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON wrote:
First off,How can he follow the Cartoon Network airings of the show,when there almost 100 episodes behind the Japanese broadcast and as far as DVD releases go,they've only released like the 1st 2 seasons,so if he's been following fansubs on Youtube,than,if he were to "watch them on cable" than He'd be watching the same episodes over again. Second,ANN constantly rag's on fansubs and fansubbers but still watches them and even use to list them. Regardless of if Spice and Wolf has not been licensed America,IT'S STILL FANSUBBED!!! Now,yes,I do agree with the depiction of the standard noob Anime fan who claims to hate dub. I Myself was arguing face to face with one last week. The poor fool claimed to "not want to watch that American dub sh*t" and "only watch the Japanese version,fansubbed or raw" and the idiot can't speak a single word of Japanese,heck,he could barely speak English. But that's about all agree with in this "comic" strip.

WARNING SRS BZNS AHEAD

O RLY?
YA RLY!

Sorry but box set 6 is available and 7 and 8 have set release dates: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/7lcrfxhKJz=vuzOiN6/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

Regarding fansubs:
I can understand what you're saying but from what I've seen ANN staff hold the ideals that most of the "ethical" fansub groups hold that is that they will not sub and put up for download something that has already been licensed in North America and they will not profit from their work. They exist to allow North American/English speaking fans to preview or watch the series as it airs in Japan and whole heartedly want those who are watching their fansubs to support the creators via payment. Thus there's no excuse in there about "liek teh omfg, dey are (dis many episodes) behind (fill in long ass Shonen Jump series here)." Yes it sucks but the releases are coming fairly quickly.

I'm sorry if this message sounds obnoxious I just thought most of this information has been staring anime fans down for a while now.
yukikanou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I just do not understand why people call the Japanese sub versions superior and they don't even know Japanese...or won't even try to learn!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9