• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KISS Singer Simmons Cameos in Detroit Metal City Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
I can only think of this link. Oh, and this.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
I want this movie stateside NOW.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Gene Simmon = Demon God of Rock N Roll.

How very, very fitting!
trunkster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
So that's why Simmons was in Japan during Celebrity Apprentice.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
y cant movies like that come out here
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Typecasting.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha! Now that's just awesome. Cool You'd definitely think that a character named "The Demon God of Rock and Roll" to be played by either Gene Simmons or Jack Black. I'dve taken either one. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Gene Simmons is one who appreciates the Japanese, their culture, and the fans. I remember seeing him on an NHK talkshow once when he was in Japan promoting his solo album Asshole. He would be talking to the female host telling her how she was beautiful, and how they should get together and have Japanese babies. Still, one like him puts out what people will want from a person like him, especially with a cameo in something that has references to him and KISS.
jay saenz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I was watching a show at the BIOgraphy Channel about him and he looks like a pathetic old man, who sold himself for money.

"Hip Hop singers are today´s rock stars" when i heard that i was about to throw up, then he said that "music is nothing else than business", so he only cares about the money and milk his fandom.

Rock music used to be something more than a business, when it was played by artistS and not BY clowns and models. It´s ok to make a living out of music, but sell yourself to what its fashionable, its just pathetic. I felt sorry for Kiss fans.

I agree that he is evil, a materialist pathetic jew who is trying to cash on his fame. Therefore he is not an artist, because he doesn´t love music. Worst thing is that he brags about being clean and have a perfect loving family, while he is selling that sex, drugs and rock and roll to his zombie fans. I prefer Hendrix or Lennon, they belived in their music, they enjoyed the fame and money, of course, but above all, they loved music.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It was John Lennon who maintained the reason most guys get into rock & roll is for chicks. He said the groupies are so desperate for a piece of fame, they'll sleep with the guy who cleans up after the elephants at the circus (Tom Snyder interview)
Lennon was no more noble. At least Simmons has always been very up front about his opinions. Yes, he is very bloated & egotistical, but he has enough brains, most people just dismiss it as typical of him & let it go.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
I agree that he is evil, a materialist pathetic jew who is trying to cash on his fame.

Next time you decide to have a laughably over the top teen tantrum, do you think you could leave out the anti-semitism?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
jay: Trust me. If he didn't care about the art, he wouldn't be in the business this long. And you don't have to be a Jew to be materialistic. Look at Rupert Murdoch and Bill Gates.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Ha ha! Now that's just awesome. Cool You'd definitely think that a character named "The Demon God of Rock and Roll" to be played by either Gene Simmons or Jack Black. I'dve taken either one. Wink

Really? Shocked

Jack Black strikes me more as "The Chubby God of a few great movies but also a lot of crap". I agree though. I can't think of anyone more suited to the role than Gene Simmons.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Jack Black strikes me more as "The Chubby God of a few great movies but also a lot of crap". I agree though. I can't think of anyone more suited to the role than Gene Simmons.

Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant and maybe Steven Tyler.

But Gene Simmons works well too!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
If you've read or seen any of the manga it's being based on, then you'd realize EXACTLY why it had to be him, and no one else.

the entire fictional band is basically a parody of KISS, and the main character is Gene Simmons, well... if Gene Simmons was in real life a wimpy little squirt who only wanted to play acoustic guitar and sing ballads Smile.

The manga isn't really a parody of rock music in general, but the specific, materialistic crowd euphoria type concert culture-ism ness of KISS style fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2