• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Plans Hunter X Hunter Release in DVD Season Boxes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
So VIZ didn't license the OVA's that continue the story where the TV Series of Hunter x Hunter left off... kinda sucks, but cool that they licensed the series.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
where is my damn shana novels!!!
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Wow I couldn't have predicted this one. Hunter x Hunter is a fantastic series and would have never thought this would ever get licensed! I look forward to the box sets!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Are they going to release the entire season 1 in one box at one time or are they going to be like Funmation and release half of a season like One Piece? Just wondering. . .

I'm happy to hear that Hunter x Hunter is getting released, but I'm kinda bummed about Hikaru no Go and Full Moon not doing so well. Talk about shows where you need to see the entire series. . . Oh well, at least fans can (hopefully) read the endings in the manga releases.
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
YES HUNTER X HUNTER OMG YEEEESSSSS
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Just curious... will these have new and improved opening sequences to replace the Japanese ones (which'll likely be found as extras)?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
My BF's gonna be stoked... he's had me watching out for a legal release of this for a couple years now. Here's hoping they do bigger boxsets than 13 episodes at a time (although HxH is at least shortish enough that 13 ep sets wouldn't be too bad.)
Effect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Great news. Hunter x Hunter is a great series, one of my favorites I might add. Wish they were releasing the OVAs as well but no reason think they might not later on.

Actually I'm not surprised they weren't licensed at the moment since I'm sure they are separate entities since they weren't apart of the normal and original broadcast. For those that don't know the Hunter x Hunter OVAs (which is simply OVA, Greed Island, and G I Final (as in Greed Island Final)) are a continuation of the series story. It got to a point where the anime had caught up to the manga so instead of creating fillers (which the story doesn't really leave room for outside of expanding fights and events in certain ways) they simply ended the TV series in the middle/towards the end of the York Shin arc. The first OVA finishes that off and the entire Greed Island arc is split between the last two OVAs. The Ant Arc hasn't been animated yet. It's really long though and that manga is still in it. I really hope it is since the author is finally back to writing and that was part of the story was just getting crazy.
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
On another note outside of my fangirly squealing... I am upset that the Hikaru no Go DVDs are on hold. I mean, they are so close to the end of that series! I hope it doesn't get canceled.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Releasing Hunter X Hunter on DVD, now that's a great plan. They've got my order. I never thought I'd see the day it was released officially in the western world.
Hopefully the OVAs will get licensed once the series starts selling well which, if there is any justice in the universe, it will do.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quite the rarity for a 10 year old series to be suddenly picked up. Although I can't say I didn't see it coming since it was mentioned in an article a little while back that it was among the shows Viz was pitching to broadcasters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm more interested in Oishinbo being licensed which is a total surprise [especially as it's still going after all these years!] as I used to watch the anime religiously when it was on JSTV in the UK [before they switched satellites from the old BSkyB satellite to another one and started charging an obscene amount if you wanted to watch it! Anime cry]
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's great to see that the HxH anime finally got licensed after all these years. I wonder what are the odds that it will be shown on Cartoon network sometime in the future.
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
That's a surprise indeed. I have dreamed about this moment so many times, and now it's hapenning. Definitely good news.

Last news we had we heard that Viz was trying to pull the anime in the air, and till today we still haven't heard anything yet. i wonder if it was denied.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
wow awesome Very Happy! I'm so in on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3