• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
So she chose to commit suicide in Japan? That's sad.

I hope that the family will find her body soon so that they can have closure.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope they find her soon. This is really sad.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, reading that article I thought for a second that she had decided to simply drop her life here and start over in Japan, but with the suicide note my guess is that she decided she wanted to visit Japan and certain places before she took her life. A really sad story, I hope that she found something in Japan she felt was worth living for before she carried out her plan.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
That's so sad! I hope they find her soon, safe and sound.
The family will be in my prayers.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope they find her, alive. Hopefully working on some farm somewhere in the northern part of the island. Hopefully she is somewhere that even the people who have taken her in don't know she is supposed to be missing. I also hope she didn't get in trouble with some sort of gang element and get exported and/or extorted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but the probability of finding her alive might be slim, if she has disappeared and no one has seen her. I'm not saying she's dead though, but with the cases I've heard about with people disappearing, they usually don't have good endings. However I do certainly hope that I am wrong, and they do find her.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
sound like a good place to disappear at i wish i have to cash to go to japan one way
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So she chose to commit suicide in Japan? That's sad.

Suicides are a bit of a sad trend in Japan. Heck, there are suicide get-togethers and groups. Did she know any Japanese? If so, did she hook up with any suicide groups or whatnot?

I will admit though, this isn't the first time I've heard the notion of an otaku traveling to Japan to off themselves, although this is the first time I've heard of someone actually going through with it, or coming close to doing so.
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
it must have crushed her, a hardcore anime fan who went to study japanese language and culture because of anime, to be failing at japanese language and culture.

Lesson learned: don't let anime be your life. let it be your hobby.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
This is sad to read.
I hope they find her before it's too late because she seriously needs help :\
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this would provide some clues in time, but if she tried to commit suicide in a Japanese fashion, she might want to use methods taught in these two books:

The Complete Manual of Suicide
The Complete Manual of Disappearance

Her families might find these two books useful for they have listed "popular" (ironic word to use here...) suicide sites and might provide some clues of her whereabouts. The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service has listed some hot spots as well. Hope she can be found before it's too late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I can see the Japanese tourism industry embracing this trend.
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Dormcat: Good idea, but I don't think she went to Japan to die "in Japanese fashion." Hokkaido is the last place where cherry blossoms bloom in spring, so I'd go to look for her near large sakura groves and viewing sites.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I was just talking to some people about this a week ago. It was on the news a bit back, considering I live in CT that's not suprising, but I don't remember them mentioning she liked anime.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I hate to say it, but the probability of finding her alive might be slim, if she has disappeared and no one has seen her. I'm not saying she's dead though, but with the cases I've heard about with people disappearing, they usually don't have good endings. However I do certainly hope that I am wrong, and they do find her.

I agree with you, however as much as I myself hate to say this, I doubt the family is going to find her any time soon. Not telling anyone where she is going, leaving with little cash, failing classes and only staying for an anime club and not even giving any person any indication where she is going are all bad signs.

I do honestly hope her family or good samaritan finds her alive and well, but that unfortunely is the best case senario. Second best is that she simply wanted to get away for a while and only wrote the letter because she was angery. The worst case senario is that she is unfortunely deceased.

There is a lesson in this story; don't let anime become your life, let anime simply be a hobby. Or else a case similar to this story will happen. Anime was never made to become a obession,anime was made to become a hobby.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10