• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey's Manga-Inspired X-Men, Wolverine Images Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Those are really nice, I love the Iceman sketch and the Wolverine sketch and the all of the rest of the sketches.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
why is there Totoro in X-Men?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kushiel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
I love me some pretty boys, but Wolverine bishounen-style? Ugh. My childhood, it cries. Kitty Pryde does well in the style though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Hunh. Entirely different style from the Marvel Mangaverse experiment they did a couple of years back.

I can't agree on Kitty Pryde. She's been my favorite comic book character for a couple of decades now, and that's one of the least appealing renditions of her that I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
I've never been big on American superhero comics (though I used to love some of the animated incarnations), but the art here is pretty good. Bishounen Wolverine is kinda hard to swallow, but bishounen Nightcrawler? HOT. Also Beast just looks waaay too derivitive of Totoro for my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
(Sung to the tune of totoro, totoro)

Beastu-kun, beastu-kun, beastu-kun, beastu-kun...

I quite like the beast looking like a totoro.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Is it REALLY BAD if I think these designs are TOTALLY HOT?

A bishify bishify bishify usually pisses me off, but... Nightcrawlerrrrr...

It doesn't look totally mangaish, still looks like that hack "fusion" style, but it's better than a lot of other attempt IMO. Also, Wolverine REALLY needs some facial hair. I know they were going for the bish look, but seriously, facial hair and bish are NOT mutually exclusive. Wolverine is already kind of ... attractive? in his own way, not that I'm a fan or anything.
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
...I really like Dave Roman and Raina Telgemaier but the only one of these designs that looks cool is Nightcrawler.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not bad overall, but yeah, the Totoro-beast just looks dumb.

Wolverine is rendered pretty well, but you need the stubble. Very important, that stubble.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Lol, I just want to hug Totoro-Beast.

And Nightcrawler... hoo-boy. He's always been my favorite, but this version just blew all the other versions out of the water. Wink

His tail looks a bit strange though. Like it's not actually a part of him. It looks robotic instead of demonic.
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I only like the designs for Iceman and Nightcrawler... Everything else kinda bothers me.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I find this OEL manga thing hilarious. It's just cliches and stereotypes. This stuff is no more manga than actual X-Men and Marvel comics. That they're actually calling the Wolverine book shonen is a joke. Aside from some older audiences books, Wolverine has always been shonen, targeted at teen boys. Whoop tee doo. You're using a Japanese name. Newsflash people! Using a Japanese name instead of speaking in English doesn't make something any better or worse.

Hell, where were manga fans back in the late 90s when Joe Madureira was drawing the regular X-men books in 'manga style'. Then we had Pat Lee on Wolverine / Punisher which was supposed to be in 'manga style'. (Though personally I think Pat Lee is a hack and a con man as much as I liked him then. Whoo. The stories about his shady business deals.)

Oh and then we had actual mangaka working on X-men books. We had Kia Asamiya on Uncanny X-men. Unfortunately he got teamed with the horrible writing of Chuck Austin.

Then we have my favorite. Wolverine: Snikt! by Tsutomu Nihei. I forget if it was just before or after I read that that I got into his manga Blame!. He quickly became a favorite comics / manga artist. So.. why can't this 'manga' Wolverine look as good as that Wolverine by an actual mangaka?

Please. Runways or Spider-man Loves Mary Jane are better manga influenced books than these superficial looking attempts are. Those are good books that manga fans should already be reading. Why try a forced attention grab like this?

And yeah, Beast looks way too much like Totoro. Geez. He's even got three triangles. And cat ears on Kitty? Really? Are you going to be that blunt and cliche? How unoriginal can you get? What's next? Sentinels looking like the robots from Castle in the Sky?

Really, is this the way to attract manga fans? Is this what manga fans want? Shoddy knock offs of popular series and cat ear cliches? Really, I thought better of other manga fans. Maybe I shouldn't.

Last edited by The Xenos on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tolone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
PRETTY BOY WOLVERINE WHY DO YOU EXIST
pat_payne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hunh. Entirely different style from the Marvel Mangaverse experiment they did a couple of years back.

I can't agree on Kitty Pryde. She's been my favorite comic book character for a couple of decades now, and that's one of the least appealing renditions of her that I've ever seen.

One thing that I found borderline creepy about her presentation in this one, is that it looks like the cap she wears is actually phased into her skull/head at times to simulate ears. And why the cat motif, other than to have the obvious "her name's 'Kitty' so lets make her a nekomusume-moe" idea?
pat_payne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Also Beast just looks waaay too derivitive of Totoro for my tastes.

Derivative? I'm waiting for the law firm of Watanabe, Watanabe, Watanabe, Crane and Watanabe to lodge a complaint on behalf of Studio Ghibli.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2