• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, April 2–8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Um, why is Horo the cover for Lupin?
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Good question.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Spice & Wolf is #4!!! Please be over 6-7k sales so a sequel will more than likely happen!
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok what am I missing here? Why is Dragonball GT constantly at the top of DVD sales in Japan for the past few months? Is it some re-release extravaganza or something? Confused
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Ok what am I missing here? Why is Dragonball GT constantly at the top of DVD sales in Japan for the past few months? Is it some re-release extravaganza or something? Confused
Looking on Amazon.co.jp I see Dragon Ball GT DVDs with 2008 release dates, so that seems to be the case.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
The reason that DBGT DVDs (and, in previous months/years, DB and DBZ DVDs) consistently go to the top of the charts is because these are actually the first releases of the series on DVD, besides the special edition, out of print Dragonbox Sets from a few years back. So for anyone who didn't pick those up when they were released (or just didn't have that much money lying around to buy huge chunks of the series at once), this is the first opportunity to own them on DVD in Japan.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
The reason that DBGT DVDs (and, in previous months/years, DB and DBZ DVDs) consistently go to the top of the charts is because these are actually the first releases of the series on DVD, besides the special edition, out of print Dragonbox Sets from a few years back. So for anyone who didn't pick those up when they were released (or just didn't have that much money lying around to buy huge chunks of the series at once), this is the first opportunity to own them on DVD in Japan.

Makes sense. Thanks.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Originally, only the 13 theatrical Dragon Ball Z movies and the OVA were available for home viewing in Japan. VHS tapes of the series were never released in the 90s.

So to see DBZ on the forefront of sales doesn't surprise me one bit.

Cool
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, its wierd to think that only now are Japanese Drangonball fans getting a chance to own DVD singles of the various series. I was wondering myself.

Also, I second Westlo on Spice and Wolf. I just watched it last week, and I'm ready for a second season Very Happy (I think there's a fairly good chance it sold over 6k-7k units, since it's only coming 4th below big titles like DBGT and Lupin).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1