• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Suikoden Demon Century

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Swear to God that looks like Gene Starwind.

It seems so bad. I don't mean badass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
A ripoff of Kenshin to say the least, I'd probably rather not watch it either.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Swear to God that looks like Gene Starwind.

It seems so bad. I don't mean badass.

Wow, I thought so as well. I will admit, even though I've played Sulikoden for numerous years now, this is a first time I've heard of an anime.

The only shame is that I'll probably never be able to see this series, with the very small exception of the internet. I swear Justin, how do you even find information about these shows?

This is why I enjoy reading Buried Garbage, I am learning about anime titles I've never heard about, haven't seen in years or out of plain currosity.

You've done a fantastic job Justin.
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
This is the first time I could almost feel the Justin's hate in his article. Usually he seems to be mildly annoyed or frustrated with the garbage, but this time... hate...
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
A ripoff of Kenshin to say the least, I'd probably rather not watch it either.

Well, except this predates Kenshin.

Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad of a show. Not great by any means and probably not even good either, but not bad. It had a few good ideas and someone who's familiar with Outlaws of the Marsh might have a bit more fun spotting the characters.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Inevitably they find Koryukai henchmen picking on children and destroying their flowers.

LOL, I think that line alone says a lot.

As always, thanks for giving us heads-up on what to avoid like the plague, Justin.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Voice actors sound like they're trying extra hard to sound goofy and funny, but it all comes off as amateurish and stupid; the sort of talent on display here is roughly on par with the time my elementary school teachers and principal decided to wear purple garbage bags and pretend to be the California Raisins.

And of course, everybody grunts outlandishly, as if simultaneously farting and throwing chi.

I didn't notice this before, but that is a really hilarious statement. So why did your teachers and principal pretend to be California Raisins?

The video games are far much better, with the exception of the strategy game they made for Playstation two.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
This is the first time I could almost feel the Justin's hate in his article. Usually he seems to be mildly annoyed or frustrated with the garbage, but this time... hate...

I agree. With his other Buried Garbage articles you can feel a sense of how ridiculous the subject matter in question is, like getting together with your friends and just joking about how outrageous scenes are and carrying on. Suikoden apparently can't even have that done, which is probably a credit to how bad it really is. It'd be something that I'd want to see either at a convention, borrowed from a friend, or possibly rented - even at a dollar or so from Amazon or Half, I don't think I'd want to sink that much money into something that I wouldn't be able to get rid of again. This coming from someone who recently bought DOG SOLDIER: Shadows of the Past on an untranslated laser disc.

Though, I was kinda surprised about the video game tie-in. I was thinking about it when I saw the title on the main page (Like the video game?). I wonder how common it is for RPGs to get anime-tie ins? The majority of video game based anime I know are all fighting games (because it is much easier to add the ridiculous character cameos) but if a product were able to be projected enough, I'd think RPGs, especially Japanese ones with their more linear storylines, would make for good shows. I'm aware of anime based on Xenosaga, Dragon Quest VI, Final Fantasies V and VII, Star Ocean: The Scond Story and a very loose Chrono Trigger OAV (and now Suikoden) - are there any I'm missing? It seems like the fighting game ones out number the RPGs but maybe it was the rush of all of them in a relatively short time-span versus the RPGs tending to be spread out over time.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Suikoden isn't the only offender in the name-that-is-also-part-of-a-famous-video-game-but-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-video-game crime. You also have Ehrgeiz. Wink

Maybe in the future, we might see a review on Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden or even Samurai Shodown.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Suikoden apparently can't even have that done, which is probably a credit to how bad it really is.

True. Sometimes writing reviews feels like avenging my soul.

SalarymanJoe wrote:
I'm aware of anime based on Xenosaga, Dragon Quest VI, Final Fantasies V and VII, Star Ocean: The Scond Story and a very loose Chrono Trigger OAV (and now Suikoden) - are there any I'm missing?

Wild Arms. Ys I & II. Panzer Dragoon. Tales of Eternia. Fire Emblem. Arc the Lad. Dragon Slayer. Wizardry. Twisted Evil

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
So why did your teachers and principal pretend to be California Raisins?

I'm not sure there was a reason. I was five, and while I wasn't a normal 5-year-old by any stretch, I wasn't able to figure out what would inspire grown women to wear garbage bags. That would take far more psychological evaluation than most adults are capable of.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Maybe I just read it wrong, but I thought that this anime WASN'T based off of the Suikoden (Gensosuikoden) RPG franchise. I thought it was a standalone entity based off of the same legend.

Am I grossly mistaken?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
So why did your teachers and principal pretend to be California Raisins?

Quote:
I'm not sure there was a reason. I was five, and while I wasn't a normal 5-year-old by any stretch, I wasn't able to figure out what would inspire grown women to wear garbage bags. That would take far more psychological evaluation than most adults are capable of.

Thank you for answering my question. I wasn't sure if this question would ever be answered, but thank you none the less. My guess is that the teacher thought the kids would eat more healthier if they saw a raisin telling them to eat healthy.

Look at this way Justin, at least you probably weren't the kid who ate glue, paper or playdough. I remember going to camp once and having to share a cabin with a jock, kid who would eat almost anything and his father who was a bit strange.
Hasukawa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
This OAV is so incredibly bad, but incredibly funny to watch in English. the voice actors and the script was just outrageous. The English dub version has brought me many great one liners that I have used for many years now. It's almost as fun (in a bad way) as watching the English dub of Dragon Slayer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show.
Of course I usually watch stuff like this & Fist of the North Star with my daughter & we heckle the screen, so that probably made it much more enjoyable.
Sutibaru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I enjoyed this show.
Of course I usually watch stuff like this & Fist of the North Star with my daughter & we heckle the screen, so that probably made it much more enjoyable.

Hey, FOTNS is a great series. Not like most of the garbage seen here.
If it was, then why would there be movies coming out 20 years later? >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5