• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga, Anime Planned for Sega's World Destruction RPG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Um... can we say "buy on first sighting?"

This news makes me happier than I have been in a VERY long time when it comes to RPGs and/or anime.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is just me, but the power to destory the world seems a bit much for a video game. Now I don't know much about the game, but since Chrono Trigger was mentioned, I'll keep an eye on this series.

Though I wish a remake of Dragon Quest I would be made or a remake of Final Fantasy I would be made for Nintendo Dual Screen.
Efscope

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Really makes me wish I had a DS..........
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I never knew that this was in the works. The combination of Mitsuda's music, Tanaka's character design, not to mention Kato's story-telling makes this an instant buy for me.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
If this is for the DS, hopefully we can expect it releasing in NA 3-4 months after the Japanese release, as long as they plan on releasing it here at all. This game certainly sounds promising. It would be the first game to make me pick up my DS again since I stopped playing Mario Party.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I never knew that this was in the works. The combination of Mitsuda's music, Tanaka's character design, not to mention Kato's story-telling makes this an instant buy for me.

Same here. I'm very disappointed that Mitsuda won't score the anime as well. He deserves to work on anime once in a while, to get recognition outside of the VGM community.

But really...I think that it's more than a little misleading to say (as every single press release regarding this game has) that it's from a team that made Xenogears, because the key team behind Xenogears, story writers Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga, are not involved. Kato's contributions to the game were important, but not as significant as some might think.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Normally I don't care much for RPGs and their associated spinoffs. Judging from the amount of parenthesised hyperlinks in this article however, I'll admit this project has enough talent working on it to make me change my ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
...or a remake of Final Fantasy I would be made for Nintendo Dual Screen.

This is why I am glad I have a PSP as well. The remake was wonderfully done and presented. Plus they remade FF2. I like the PSP remakes more than the GBA remakes (Dawn of Souls, which I do also own).

Admittingly, I have not heard of this game, but to say my interest is not piqued would be a lie.

There are so many games where saving the world and being the hero is the objective, to play on the otherside, where the goal is to end the world, will certainly be a nice twist.

I love RPG's, yet there are so few on the DS. I really only have the remade Final Fantasty 3 and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. I'm probably gonna get The World Ends With You, shortly. I've got to finish Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII before I can even begin playing that, though.

Irregardless of all of that, I do hope this game makes it to America. I will buy it if and when it does.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, talk about turning an old cliche on it's head. I have to say that I'm probably looking forward to the game more than the anime though. I've heard that the game is being advertised like crazy in Japan and the anime kinda screams "marketing tool". I dunno maybe it will still be good but the game is the main attraction here to me. Masato Kato has a hell of a resume. According to IGN who has a more detailed report here on the game for those who are interested: It will be turn based which I prefer. It will use sprites at least for the characters instead of 3D which I again prefer. I'm really looking forward to it a lot.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
All this talent together at once.Enjoy,it doesn't happen often.I'm still crazy for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears as well as Sega.It's definitely another game for my collection.It's also an honor to have Production I.G. working towards the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1