• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Host Madhouse Studio Co-Founder Maruyama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Masao Maruyama is this incredibly awesome guest that Otakon gets every year, and every year practically nobody shows up to his panels. This is no isolated incident: barring the rare instances where a convention gets as a guest the author of a manga that happens to be immensely popular at the moment, anime fans only seem interested in Japanese guests if they're voice actors or musical acts.

Personally, I would like to see more guests of the caliber of Masao Maruyama at more conventions. But that won't happen until more people start showing even remote levels of interest in them. So if you're reading this, are planning on attending Otakon, and are interested in any one of the many shows listed here, please make a conscious decision to attend Masao Maruyama's events at Otakon at the expense of whatever is scheduled opposite him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
I go see Masao Maruyama every year he is at Otakon (I was almost late for my own panel one year because his was before mine). The dude is awesome and has some of the best stories from the last 30 years or so of anime making. If anyone has any sort of interest in the behind the scenes going on in anime creation, his is an awesome panel to go see.

I also like him, because he will walk around the convention it's self checking everyone out. I see him in the dealers room almost every year he's there.

Though sadly he was in one one of the larger panel rooms and last time they put him in a much smaller one and that one wasn't even full. Go see him people! He's like Japanese grandpa of awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never knew such an awesome person was there. Well I'm hitting up that panel now!
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
I wish I could go myself to see him as I'm a huge fan of Madhouse's productions... [I never knew he was involved with the creation of Devil Hunter Yohko!]
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr Maruyama is one of the Grand Old Men of the industry, and for several years he's been willing to put in a good word for us with everyone who will listen. And that's a fair number of people -- his recommendation carries weight. He understands and supports our mission, he loves fans, and he feels that it's important for creative talent to come meet their audiences. And he's *always* relevant, year after year, because he's so involved in so many projects.

And on top of all that, he's just a lot of fun, personally. I'm very proud that we've become friends over the years, and not just because he's an asset to Otakon, or helps us make other connections.

He actually sent us a video, just for Otakon attendees, last year. He apologized for missing the con, and briefly talked about some of the projects on tap, then gave a quick sneak-peek into the studio proper. Not many guests would do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1