• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I just thought of something that could be cool (helpful)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:50 pm Reply with quote
a voting system for each title. so that people will get an idea of what other people think of it.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:17 pm Reply with quote
My impulse response would be "no" because:

1) That information is available in many, many other places (like the ANN review section! =)

2) The realm of user voting/comments/etc in the database is a bit messy and, imo, unnecessary. There's always the fourm if you're in the mood to talk about different series.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Eventually I intend to do something like that. But the problem with ratings is that they're not a very good tool to know what you would find good. It's well know that tastes differ. If 90% of people hate a certain anime but you'd be among the 10% that love it, a rating system would never allow you to find out about it. However in a good review, even if the reviewer doesn't like the anime, s/he will describe it well enough that you'd know if it would fit with your tastes.

Also, another bad point against rating systems is that they inevitably degenerate into popularity contests. And I deeply HATE popularity contests.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:29 pm Reply with quote
speaking of l33t things to add:

i always wanted to add links to the best fan sites for various series. :)

but then we'd be invading anipike's turf.

so it's not really a good idea. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, come on. It's not like anipike has the absolute monopoly on anime links. Other sites act as anime portals, it's just that anipike has so incredibly MANY links that it has become the de facto standard. Although... it hasn't been updated in several months. Maybe it *would* be a good idea to open up a portal service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1