• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Funky Town

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
That Shelf Obsessed collection makes me sick on the inside from jealousy. If I didn't buy a single thing, including food, for the next three years I wouldn't be able to afford that collection.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My beloved Avalanche have made it past the Minnesota Wild, and are now duking it out against the Red Wings. I'm pretty sure my blood pressure goes up a bit every game.

I think I've burst a few blood vessels within the past week myself.

That was a nice collection. I'm jealous.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Forget the DVDs, I want those SHELVES! Look, they don't even sag in the middle! What the heck can they possibly be made of?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Fourthed ... nice collection. Definitely tipped me on moving to custom/built-in shelving (*sigh* being able to show SIDES of boxes and move stuff without hopping dividers.)

Naruto isn't that bad to collect, my guess is Bleach would be Viz's worst (followed closely by Death Note, even if only on the principle of no season/series box announced yet.)

Miscellaneous and the title get cut-off for me at the top, but that could just be a ploy to distract from the tinyr typo near the end of the first sentance in the second paragraph for the title.

BTW - Not sure when Lucky Star 1 will show up for review (or if it will be the LE,) but a word of warning to anyone who generally buys their anime in a store and wants to maintain any shred of social dignity in public: of the six sides to the box, Bandai stuck the UPC on the only one you really would just as soon those not following/understanding of our hobby look at. Buy it online ... or at least make sure to stand in line behind Richard J.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
damm those are nice shelves....

if i ever own my own house, i'm gonna spend some serious money on good sturdy shelves....

Ikea is going to be my favorite store....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Quote:
My beloved Avalanche have made it past the Minnesota Wild, and are now duking it out against the Red Wings. I'm pretty sure my blood pressure goes up a bit every game.

I think I've burst a few blood vessels within the past week myself.

That was a nice collection. I'm jealous.

Those were my Wild that lost. Heck, if I sent my shelves in to Shelf Obsessed, you'd see a Wild jersey hanging right next to the shelves (my DVD shelves are set up in a closet using modular shelving, they take up too much room anywhere else). I honestly wasn't surprised though, when it was announced just days before the playoffs that we were going to be out some key players, I knew it was just going to go downhill from there.

Either way, I didn't see the Wild or the Red Wings as having what it took this year to take the cup, so I figured round 1 or 2 would end their season. If they improve in the offseason though then they should be pretty strong next year.

Back on topic though, it seems that the lack of titles in the articles lately that interest me mirrors the lack of releases in general lately that interest me. It seems every now and then I hit these lulls where nothing coming out catches my eye. Then I hit a point where there's too darn much for me to buy that interests me, which I'm still recovering from as there are still at least 2 series I need to catch up on that have been fully released for some time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
What, no Ergo Proxy or .hack//Roots? Smile

Actually a very nice collection, and I love the engineering of those shelves. Having the support behind the shelves is a great idea. The one thing that plagues my collection are the vertical support boards that divide the shelves. I either have gaps, or to fill in the gaps, my collection isn't 100% alphabetical.

Hooray for Kanon! Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
That Shelf Obsessed collection makes me sick on the inside from jealousy. If I didn't buy a single thing, including food, for the next three years I wouldn't be able to afford that collection.

I'm sure a collection like that, which is on par with mine when completely laid out, takes years to acquire. Unless you got a lot, and I mean a lot (especially considering the amount of art box sets featured here), of cash to throw out all at once. So more then likely that collection took a nice long while to acquire. That's one of the joys of collecting though, when after a while you can look at your collection and just marvel at it's size (and cry inside as well when you think about how you could have had that nice 4 door sedan instead lol).
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
Holy crap with dressing on the side! I have yet to understand how people can actually afford collections that large.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Back on topic though, it seems that the lack of titles in the articles lately that interest me mirrors the lack of releases in general lately that interest me. It seems every now and then I hit these lulls where nothing coming out catches my eye. Then I hit a point where there's too darn much for me to buy that interests me, which I'm still recovering from as there are still at least 2 series I need to catch up on that have been fully released for some time.

I've felt the same way recently, at least about what is being reviewed. I've still got plenty of titles that I am in the process of acquiring/interested in starting, though. I wish I could have one of those lulls, for the sake of my wallet -- although I don't forsee it happening soon.

As for this collection, it's certainly one of the biggest that's been featured in a while, and a seriously nice one at that. I've probably got enough DVDs to fill out...just over one level on his shelves Razz.

On the bright side, I have the tin box for season one of GitS and he doesn't! My pride is totally restored.

bglassbrook wrote:
(followed closely by Death Note, even if only on the principle of no season/series box announced yet.)

Yeah, this irritates me as well; however, I managed to solve the problem by picking up the box that Madman released. Silly Viz needs to release their own, though.

Last edited by Big Hed on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
What Psycho says is true since my collection is also more than I could afford in one year. I have also spent between $5000-$6500 a year on anime DVDs over the last 5 years and about $2000-$3000 a year before that. There is a good chance that Lynn has spent more a year than that though since almost everything I own was bought from TRSI at preorder w/ membership prices or below with studio sales and her w/ box ratio being higher than mine. It's funny how much our collections resemble each others as they get larger.

She has me beat in box sets and special editions since I'll only order these if there is extra disc content or really nice packaging. Lynn's art box ratio is incredibly high and her thinpak ratio is also a little lower than mine. There are a number of boxes (like Saiyuki Gunlock, Basilisk, My-Hime. various ADV, Gundam Seed, GITS 2nd Gig, Speed Grapher) that never had the original collectors box released with the complete collection, which leads me to believe that her new/individual volume ratio is very high.

It is funny to note that a good amount of her thinpak/Legends/etc. are the same ones that I decided to pick up after the cheaper release (like Princess Tutu, Figure 17, Kaze no Yojimbo, Betterman, S-Cry-Ed, Argentosoma, Initial D) since neither of us have too many thinpak/Legends. These are all series that I didn't give much attention when they were first released but later heard good things about.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
Forget the DVDs, I want those SHELVES! Look, they don't even sag in the middle! What the heck can they possibly be made of?

Going by the second pic, looks like the back of each shelf doubles as bracing. Custom-made, I guess.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
HOLY *BLEEP!* I WANT THAT COLLECTION!
Keonyn wrote:
Those were my Wild that lost. Heck, if I sent my shelves in to Shelf Obsessed, you'd see a Wild jersey hanging right next to the shelves (my DVD shelves are set up in a closet using modular shelving, they take up too much room anywhere else). I honestly wasn't surprised though, when it was announced just days before the playoffs that we were going to be out some key players, I knew it was just going to go downhill from there.

Either way, I didn't see the Wild or the Red Wings as having what it took this year to take the cup, so I figured round 1 or 2 would end their season. If they improve in the offseason though then they should be pretty strong next year.

I was so pissed that we lost! Sad We're usually so good during the regular season!

[EDIT: Do not double-post. Use the Edit button to add to your post if it's the last in the thread.~Zalis]
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
I’ve been collecting for a couple of years now and my collection isn’t even a fraction as large compared to that (probably has something to do with being a minor with no job experience, woe be me); it barely takes up a small shelf.
Mirri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Lynn gets bonus points for putting her collection in alphabetical order. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

I also sometimes change the order to be arranged by publisher, or sometimes by studio, or origin/character design.

I like moving things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3