• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Funky Town

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Once your collection reaches a certain size, you pretty much have to put it in alphabetical order (or some other easy to search order) or you would never be able to find anything. My collection is only maybe half that big, but I even keep an index for it on my computer because it's just easier to keep track of that way.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
It's funny how much our collections resemble each others as they get larger.

I think the larger collections resemble each other because they're usually owned by the 'Collects EVERYTHING' people.
lp_harley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Just to let yall know I am a guy.

Thanks
Lynn
lp_harley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:
That Shelf Obsessed collection makes me sick on the inside from jealousy. If I didn't buy a single thing, including food, for the next three years I wouldn't be able to afford that collection.

I'm sure a collection like that, which is on par with mine when completely laid out, takes years to acquire. Unless you got a lot, and I mean a lot (especially considering the amount of art box sets featured here), of cash to throw out all at once. So more then likely that collection took a nice long while to acquire. That's one of the joys of collecting though, when after a while you can look at your collection and just marvel at it's size (and cry inside as well when you think about how you could have had that nice 4 door sedan instead lol).

Ergo Proxy .hack//Roots and Fate/Stay Night are on the way from ebay selles as I type.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm jealous of the collection, and I'm not trying to start any type of fight or say anything negative.

But down in the Sailor Moon section....right after SuperS is that what I think it is?

I wish I could lay my collection out. Considering if I had saved the money I probably could have bouht a new car or two, would love to see it.

Maybe in a few years...i'll be able to get shelves. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bob-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Wow. Impressive

I wish I had shelves like that to hold my DVD collection (165 titles / 632 Discs) as well as my manga collection (No clue how big).

Unfortunately, living at home has me living out of tubs. So much of my collection is packed away until I move back out sometime in the near future (Hopefully)
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I said this but, there's something they're actually reviewing in this shelf life that I want! I want to buy Naruto Season Box Set, but I don't have enough money to buy it... too bad.

About that collection they showed this time, incredible. I'm certianly never going to have that amount of DVDs for sure and thank God for that. I do own Cardcaptor Sakura (But it's in VHS Format), Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1 & 2, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Winds, Spirited Away, and Howl’s Moving Castle. On an interesting note, I did manage to find some volumes of the manga Nausicaa at a book sale the library. Two volumes originally 17.95 a piece cost grand total of 50 cents. An awesome find for an awesome series and movie.
lp_harley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Maybe in a few years...i'll be able to get shelves. Wink

Both sets of shelves only cost me about $160 to build out of white pine. The trim and stain another $25 to $30 when I get around to finishing them.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The brand of fantasy that they weave into these stories are simultaneously ridiculous and fascinating, and I can't help but be taken in by them.

The Kanon reviews are, I suppose, as positive as I could have hoped. Since it was one of the first bona fide Moe shows I watched I perhaps enjoyed it a little more, not realising that it was using several genre clichés, but it sounds like the reviewer hasn't remained untouched by it.

There's only one or two things I like/want to see that aren't already in Lynn's collection. The empty space in the second photo looks as if it yearns to be filled. Interesting how .hack has been put at the end of the alphabet, along with the Miyazaki and Shinkai films.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jhuntin1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
lp_harley wrote:
Both sets of shelves only cost me about $160 to build out of white pine. The trim and stain another $25 to $30 when I get around to finishing them.

My collection is similar in size and contents to yours, but I bow to your shelves. My collection is in 3 separate shelving units. About how many DVDs make it up, if I may ask.

I am also near obsessive-compulsive about keeping my collection alphabetized and in order. I use the DVD Aficionado website for my collection; I'd love to see if anyone else does, too. For example, to see mine it is http://jhuntington.dvdaf.com
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The Kanon reviews are, I suppose, as positive as I could have hoped. Since it was one of the first bona fide Moe shows I watched I perhaps enjoyed it a little more, not realising that it was using several genre clichés, but it sounds like the reviewer hasn't remained untouched by it.

It's important to keep in mind that the early "crying game" visual novels such as One and Kanon were the original sources for many of the things that are considered moé "genre clichés" today. By seeing Kanon first, you will be in a good position to appreciate that other series have borrowed from it rather than the other way around.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
lp_harley wrote:
Just to let yall know I am a guy.

Thanks
Lynn

Y'know, somehow I knew that just looking at the DVDs/display you have... is weird that I can usually tell a person' gender looking at photos of their DVDs?

Awesome shelves, by the way... I'd love to have a nice single-file display, but space contraints have me choosing double-depth shelving in favor of more DVDs against the same wallspace. Ah well...
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
No Fruits Basket? Or did I miss it?
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

Y'know, somehow I knew that just looking at the DVDs/display you have... is weird that I can usually tell a person' gender looking at photos of their DVDs?

Awesome shelves, by the way... I'd love to have a nice single-file display, but space contraints have me choosing double-depth shelving in favor of more DVDs against the same wallspace. Ah well...

I agree, very nice shelving arrangement.
I too had to double up mine cause of lack of wall space, and mine takes a sizable amount as is.

The best thing about collections of this size is to see peoples expression when they first see them. It's often funny. Though i do have figures with mine as well. No comments needed SakechanBD (Bamboo).

I am looking forward to Kanon'06 being fully released, and this review makes me wish they'd hurry it up already.
lp_harley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
mokuhazushi wrote:
No Fruits Basket? Or did I miss it?

4 down next to Full Metal Alchemist.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm sure a collection like that, which is on par with mine when completely laid out, takes years to acquire. Unless you got a lot, and I mean a lot (especially considering the amount of art box sets featured here), of cash to throw out all at once. So more then likely that collection took a nice long while to acquire. That's one of the joys of collecting though, when after a while you can look at your collection and just marvel at it's size (and cry inside as well when you think about how you could have had that nice 4 door sedan instead lol).

TJ_Kat wrote:
Once your collection reaches a certain size, you pretty much have to put it in alphabetical order (or some other easy to search order) or you would never be able to find anything. My collection is only maybe half that big, but I even keep an index for it on my computer because it's just easier to keep track of that way.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
It's funny how much our collections resemble each others as they get larger.

I think the larger collections resemble each other because they're usually owned by the 'Collects EVERYTHING' people.

Agreed on all three points, but there's no reason to make "Collects [almost] EVERYTHING" sound like a bad thing (only been collecting for a few years now, and in ernest for just over two ... some of those out-of-print titles are just darn hard to find legit copies.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3