• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 04-30-08

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Woo! First comment!

The sad thing is, letters like that do happen. Do people really thing manga/anime writers will just make any idea some random stranger gives them into an anime/manga?
JNOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty funny! I think that it's hilarious that some teenagers think they can write a better plot than most adults, yet they fill the plot with all the stereotypes of anime and write with no correct grammar.

Poor Nina...so naive. Rolling Eyes

videomaster21XX wrote:
Woo! First comment!

Actually, I probably started typing it out around 2-3 minutes before hand. Oh well - I guess you win.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Great comic, once again! I like how these are hitting close to home while being hilarious and fun at the same time. Wink

JNOtaku wrote:
I think that it's hilarious that some teenagers think they can write a better plot than most adults, yet they fill the plot with all the stereotypes of anime and write with no correct grammar.

It's because of all these places like FF.Net and YouTube that make people think they can turn into great writers/movie directors within just a few seconds. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm all for expressing creativity, but you see where these things sometimes lead... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zerokiryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Nina's face in the last panel...Priceless. Laughing
BladeDragoonZETA

I read five words ("I have an awesome idea") and INSTANTLY knew how this would go

Zac would be proud of Kevin...

Last edited by BladeDragoonZETA on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

I wonder if anyone has ever PayPal-ed Zac?
Patches

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I went to college with a guy who had aspirations like this. He had a Sailor Moon/Ranma crossover fanfic that he was so damn proud of and would talk about to anyone he could corner. And some original series he made that he was determined to go to Japan and force someone to make it into an anime.

The sad thing is, he seemed to genuinely think this was possible.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Letters like that do happen, and all I do is laugh when I read them. The naivete of some fans amuses me greatly. Laughing To think that they could get their ideas made into actual series is laughable. Most of the ideas submitted are ripoffs of existing series that use so many cliches that it's almost ironic. These kids write in thinking that they could be the next Masashi Kishimoto, but they are sadly mistaken. I mean, for kami's sake, they don't freaking spellcheck their work before they submit it!

Some advice to wannabe creators: spellcheck is your best friend. Use it! Also, learn how to use proper grammar, and don't abuse the capslock button or use alternating caps. That shows a great level of immaturity, and honestly, it's annoying to read.

Quote:
If so, I'm off to start an anime blog that seems more important than it really is....

Delusions of grandeur, my friend. Laughing [/quote]

Last edited by TsukasaElkKite on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little slow on the uptake, but what's up with the PayPal-ing here? Is the poor deluded fool trying to bribe Nina? Does ANN (and/or other writers on pop culture) get a lot of kids just throwing money at them when they send in their Naruto -- or apparently in this case, Captain Planet -- ripoffs?

If so, I'm off to start an anime blog that seems more important than it really is....
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part is "sky powers". Because wind isn't a cool enough element, apparently.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well the only thing I can say is that whoever wrote the letter is a moron... While I do go though a lot of ideas like that (anime inspire me a lot... and I admit it, I'm a fanfic writer), I don't ask someone for their contact info (even though I have connections... distant connections but connection none the less)... I'm a fanfic write who's trying bloom into an actual writer. I'm actually working on a novel, while it sort of borrows from anime, plot wise (plus the occasional mention of an anime here and there, mostly stemming from one character), it also had a distinctly American flavor, like how it uses High School politics, regular politics (IE: a character's father died in Iraq), sex and a big healthily dose of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (look it up... really). While I've worked out my plot, in fact the novel is done, I just have to fix a few mistakes here and there and get rid of some things and add somethings. That kid who wrote that letter needs to know what it's like in the real world before he gets anywhere...If you want to be a writer or comic artist that's fine... but don't make an idiot out yourself by asking someone to make an anime...
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
-- or apparently in this case, Captain Planet --

Haha you've just brought back some fond memories that I have of that show from my childhood. Laughing Captain Planet ninjas fighting demons may not be original but sounds like it has the potential top be a very entertaining show if done right. I say it's better to give the kid a false sense of hope so they can learn the hard way. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
If ya guys wanna know one of the few success stories of an anime fan-cum-fanfic writer turned professional fiction author, there's Ryk Spoor.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
videomaster21XX wrote:
Do people really think manga/anime writers will just make any idea some random stranger gives them into an anime/manga?

I would say yes, but the phrase "Do people really think" is tripping me up. Believe? Yes. Think? No.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ever PayPal-ed Zac?

Even if they did, one would have to wonder if Zac even would have the author's adress and such. Hopefully that did not come out rudely, but in all seriousness, who would be crazy enough to send ACTUAL money.

I also wonder if the comic this week is a implied/actual parody of Answerman? Even so, this was an excellent comic. But what really makes me inwardly laugh is I am sure Zac has received weirder letters than fans wishing to create there own series.

At my job I hear very stange converstations. Granted I work for customer service, but generally one wouldn't expect to hear a customer tell a cashier that he poured fruitloops down his pants. True story, but a long one at that.

Anyway, thanks for the great comic Robin, fantastic work recently. Last week with Mopie and cinimon buns and now a spoof of Answerman, very nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5