• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Dominates American Graphic Novel Sales in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
im surprised vampire knight was that well recieved. I'm also surprised that fruits basket didn't do better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brand

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
At the point it seems Viz as almost all the "A" list titles ("A" list for Popularity, not quality). I mean after Fruits Basket what does Tokyopop have? There is a lot of good titles from other companies but does anyone one else have a mega title?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I would say that the spot Fruits Basket ended up at isn't as bad as it could have been, though I would agree it could have done better. With the popularity of Naruto trying to edge out Fruits Basket, it's a battle to the finish line here, since Fruits Basket will be on its way out soon.
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It's not VK there that's suprising its the lack of bleach, is Naruto so much more popular?
VK involves high melodrama and fan service art, what's not to love Razz
For all that I love Fruba, Takaya's art just never stuck as nice as Hino's
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm surprised that Fruba is at No. 3, as this volume was mostly filler and naval gazing, so it's lucky it's even on the list at all.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
chicks love Vampire Knight.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well I'm surprised that Fruba is at No. 3, as this volume was mostly filler and naval gazing, so it's lucky it's even on the list at all.

I'm sorry?
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm sorry?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Uh... I'm sorry, too. I guess...

Seriously, WTF? Did I just bump into a passing meme?

Well, anyway... I think part of the reason Viz is so big is that they've built a brand around Shonen Jump and, to a lesser extent, Shoujo Beat. Not all their stuff runs in the anthologies, of course, but they advertise nearly everything that they publish there. I think that's the thing, actually- publicity. The other publishers release good titles, but they rely on word of mouth to sell books instead of actually promoting their stuff. Nothing sells when noone knows it exists.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm sorry?

Pirkaf wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm sorry?
There's no need to be sorry guys. You didn't write it that way. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Well, I think everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but you know that you will be in for it when you say something about the favorite series of quite a few users on this forum Wink
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I would say that the spot Fruits Basket ended up at isn't as bad as it could have been, though I would agree it could have done better. With the popularity of Naruto trying to edge out Fruits Basket, it's a battle to the finish line here, since Fruits Basket will be on its way out soon.

When you say on its way out you mean that Fruit Basket won't be in the fray after that?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Vuwazy wrote:
When you say on its way out you mean that Fruit Basket won't be in the fray after that?

When Fruits Basket finishes it's American run I think it's going to be very hard for the series to stay on top in sales for future references. Currently the 19th volume is out, and there is only four more volumes to be released. Naruto is still going strong (sarcastically speaking) in Japan, so more than likely it will continue to dominate the sales charts.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
Naruto will stick around for a while. Won't say anything about that.

Fruit Basket. Hope it finishes big when all of the American release are complete. Its Japanese run, I have been told probably a year ago or sometime long ago, that it had finished. It's been a few years since I saw the anime. I've been remembering it from time to time and will probably start to consider seeing it again one day. Thinking back about it, it had stuff I appreciated. I wish I could know what happens after at the point where the anime ended at. I have also been told how the manga has a good ending. Would you encourage reading it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Well, I think everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but you know that you will be in for it when you say something about the favorite series of quite a few users on this forum Wink
Being a parent, I'm use to children throwing their toys out of their pram, besides you can call me what you like as long as you don't call me late for food, or drinks. I'm as much a Fruba fan as the rest, but sometimes you just have to call a spade a shovel, and this spade is shoveling filler whilst the governor is fingering his navel. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1