• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-02]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
How I would end Bleach in 600 words or less: Everyone except Yoruichi and Rangiku die. And then they head to the beach to rub oil on each other.

Sounds pretty good to me.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
For me, I think there is a community, but it has increasingly become one I am not so comfortable being associated with. I haven't even been into anime for all that long (like 6 years) but in that time things really have changed, or maybe its more a sign of my getting older Anime hyper! I think I relate in fandom most with the people I associate with on Livejournal, and my rl friends, but often at cons I will not feel so much out of place as feeling that I have a different mentality than the other people there.

I went into the local anime store the other day after not going for some time (I've starting mostly buying online), and I just noticed how strange some fellow fans really can be, and I kinda shook my head. Anime hyper! I dunno. I find that when I meet someone I click with in fandom its all roses, but there are alot of people in fandom that I just get alot of no vibes from Anime hyper!

I think I also tend to find alot of fans i come across as kinda pushy? Like they try to tell me things I already know or ask questions, and I kinda just smile and nod. Those I guess are the more vocal ones Anime hyper!
lazylii

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
your workplace is relatively tidy. i like your drinking glass
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
A bottle of booze, some action figures on the desk, and a political based web page (specifically what looks to be an anti-Hillary web page) on the computer. That does seem more accurate. Though in all fairness I think you should send photos of your probably mammoth dvd movie collection and Vader figures to Bamboo for shelf life. I know it's supposed to be for anime/manga pics but I think given the probable size your dvd collection is we can make an exception. Nice choice of Gin btw.

With the big summer con season fast approaching I am hopeful to finally hear some word of the future of many of Geneon's titles. I'm sure between AX and Otakon alone there will have to be some kind of news about it. I think if the studios didn't at least bring some sort of news about the titles in limbo they'd risk pitch forks and burning torches.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I find any type of system of "fan" to be utter bs. No where in the deftion of fan does it say those who purcahse material, and I have no problem with anyone who chooses not too. Unless they act like a complete fool about it: Screaming it from the heavens and tree tops. Or those who act like you're foolish for buying.

I could understand saying that you care more about anime if you buy, but it doesn't make you any less a fan if you don't..

/end rant

LOL @ the new desk pic.

As for rewriting an anime ending i'll do grave of the fireflies spoiler[Seita would live through the ending, and we'd see him grow older and remebering his family and previous life. I'd like to see him maybe Oprah/Night it and walk through where he suffered and show his kids so they remember, but not with hate or malice, but with the same tone the movie ended with- without placing blame.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
For example, there's a local anime store I frequent; I go there to buy, and to converse with the store owner, who is a very nice man who can carry on a very normal conversation despite his occupation.

Uh... WTF? I don't run an anime store but that seems like the most ridiculous statement. I think this is why some fans come off as elitist (others come off as elitist because they are). There's a lot of people that are (or were) into anime as a hobby (as the one respondent said) and even some bit of escapist fantasy. (see: Otaku no Video) There are too many people now for whom it is mindless time killing entertainment. Now, I'm not saying all (or even most) anime is "high art", but there are many people who used to at least think it was a cut above. (probably mainly because we only GOT the good stuff back when) But yeah, having a bunch of teeny-boppers throwing out the "-chans" and "-samas" and screaming about Pocky kinda kills the illusion. And when the people watching anime as the latest fad look at the kind of people who were the only anime fans 10 years ago as if they're "trekkies" (which isn't ENTIRELY wrong) you can see why people start questioning someone's "level of fandom".

(I would also point out that that is a point of discussion in Otaku no Video, so it's probably just a defining characteristic of otaku, if you want to pretend it's not a defining characteristic of people in general)
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
u printed my email lulz i trickd u dumazz

u have now been 2x pwned by the masta

guess that makes it three times. Rolling Eyes

i find myself out of touch with a lot of anime fans i meet. whenever i bring up anything new, most of them have no idea what i'm talking about. then they will bring up a series. from like 2006 (the common one seems to be Elfen Lied), and i end up tuning them out. i know that's elitist, but come on! how can you be an anime fan, not even know what Code Geass is?
Inanis Machina

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Interesting week. I enjoyed the fox pic.

In regards to feeling a sense of community with other anime fans, it really depends for me. I tend to feel some camaraderie with anime fans my age, but lately the more conventions I go to, the less I feel like a part of the anime community. Generally, I'm quite irked by the whole crazed obsessive high school demographic who seem to dominate the fandom, or at least the cons with their high pitched squees, random groping and generally annoying behaviour.

I used to somewhat feel a part of the community but with this shift in the fan community that has given the loud brand-title (naruto, Bleach, etc) immature fan the spotlight, I find myself going to less conventions and spending more time just watching anime on my own and discussing it on occasion with the few real life friends I have which share my interests in anime, rather than expose myself to a larger community that increasingly irks and annoys me.

Also Zac, Merriam-Webster proves you wrong by stating that Journalistically is a word, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journalistically , specifically an adverb for journalistic.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:
u printed my email lulz i trickd u dumazz

u have now been 2x pwned by the masta

guess that makes it three times. Rolling Eyes

i find myself out of touch with a lot of anime fans i meet. whenever i bring up anything new, most of them have no idea what i'm talking about. then they will bring up a series. from like 2006 (the common one seems to be Elfen Lied), and i end up tuning them out. i know that's elitist, but come on! how can you be an anime fan, not even know what Code Geass is?

Don't tune them out, make them aware of the newer stuff! Smile That's what I have to do with my anime-watching friends, who would be quite lost without me (although one of them is a dub-only fan, so -- much to my frustration -- I can't get him interested in newer series).

But seriously Zac, straight Bombay Sapphire? I'll stick to Jose Cuervo myself Razz Also, from past remarks I was under the impression that you were more of a Jack Daniel's man.

Anyway, speaking of summer movies, I think I'll go see Iron Man now Very Happy.
stopher87

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
I yearn for the days of my youth where my friends and I would watch anime on tv and be enthralled at the site of Slayers and DBZ. Where have those days gone? I was the only one not to grow out of that phase. My old friends don't even remember the titles of the shows that they used to enjoy so much. The people I talk to now can't keep up with me and always give me strange looks. I am alone in a dark chasm from which I fear there is no escape. Where is the anime club I once had. Jk sorry to go all emo on you.

Btw 600 words! What is this an essay. You know you are inviting people to send you their fan fiction right?

Last edited by stopher87 on Fri May 02, 2008 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
I doubt Zac's a Shia Labeouf fan, so I imagine he got that poster as swag. Not sure if he's into Iron Man, either; I kind of imagine his favorite Marvel character as Silver Surfer or Gambit.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was also a 35 year old man with a Bluetooth headset there, and I can attest that he most certainly was not a student.

I think maybe 1/4 of the members of my university's anime club are either grad students/faculty/or employees. They're really nice, cool people, totally not like the annoying younger fans.
The Bluetooth headset would get annoying though...especially if he used it during the showings.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
James Olsen I applaud you.

You hit it right on the head. I too feel your pain. I remember the days when you met another fan it was special. You made a connection with another human being that had that same niche interest you did. And the best part about it is that you could converse for hours with that individual. You would exchange information and learn something new and exciting. It could have been about a funny OAV like Prefectural Earth Defense Force or even something about a new Ghibli film. You networked with people. You truly felt that sense of community.

But those days are far and few between. The internet is the ultimate double edged sword in this regard. While I think it's wonderful that information is all at our finger tips, fansubs of shows that were difficult to obtain i.e. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Rose of Versailles etc., and that Best Buy is flooded with DVDs....it's lost a bit of that magic.

I don't blame the "modern fandom" so much. It's just that times have changed. Now when you meet someone into anime it depends what kind of fan you meet. Is it someone who was apart of that era of VHS fansubs? Is it someone who were the trailblazers of the early eighties showcasing shows like Starbalzers and Robotech? Or is it the group who started watching Toonami after school with shows like Pokemon, Gundam Wing, and Dragonball Z?

Granted no group is superior over another. However, for the older fans it gets harder and harder to make that connection like we did just even ten years ago. Most of us have started websites, run the conventions, or just left the fandom entirely.

So remember James Olsen and others like him...don't let it get to you when some narutard chastises you for not liking "the most popular show EVAH!" There are still plenty of us around. It just takes a little of that old otaku zeal to make that connection. One day, that magic can be captured again. I look forward to that day. Untill then, I'll be doing my best to show some of the newer fans what made this genre of entertainment so special to us.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Zac - you really let the bulls loose in the china shop with that new Answerfan question. Expect a lot of Death Note replies where certain characters who died don't die and certain characters who didn't to die. Also, Evangelion answers which entirely miss the point of the entire series to satisfy their internet tough guy attitude. There'll be so many ressurections, you'll think it was Judgement Day, and so many hook-ups you'd think it was Mardi Gras.

I look forward to laughing at the predictable lack of creativity or originality on the parts of many anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
I think Funimation is being a little quiet too. They are sitting on some good licenses but they are releasing stuff like Black Blood Brothers. Its probly not a money problem since they have many major money-making (M.M.M.M.) releases out. They must still be debating their releasing strategies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5