• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Host Anime Innovation Tokyo Works Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Really? A Japanese government agency is actually supporting CR? What sort of message does that send? Why do we even bother respecting IP rights? Something is very amiss here.

-Tofu
Jams

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
People in the west are getting to watch things that would normally not get lisenced. I see this as a good thing.
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I see this as a potentially good thing. If CR can go legit, it may help the US anime market. The anime dubbers/distributors can also see what is being viewed and make good judgments on what to license. The other advantage is that it could possibly make more anime available here in the states that we may not see.

I know I'm currently torn on CR. A friend of mine recommended a series to see, which Geneon hold the distribution rights too. But who knows when or if it will be released. She sent me the link to it, but it was through CR. I'm curious as to the series, but wish there was a legitimate way to watch it.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Pitargo Nats wrote:
The anime dubbers/distributors can also see what is being viewed and make good judgments on what to license.

I'm not downplaying the upside of digital distribution in general, but to the 'dubbers/distributors' you allude to I can't see them finding too much to like about this (re: 3rd party digital distribution).

Unauthorized sub distributions (fansubs) are already a pretty shaky indicator of mainstream commercial (official DVD) success, simply making digital distribution 'official' wouldn't seem to portend any great change in forecasting DVD interest. Along the same line of reasoning, neither would a simple change of 'unofficial', to 'official' fansubs, mean any kind of drastic upswing in DVD sales.

Beyond that, if your a NA DVD licensor, and the Japanese licensee presents you with a property they've already officially licensed (for digital distribution) in the region, there's not a chance in heck your paying close to what you paid before for (previous) exclusive rights.
babbo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Beyond that, if your a NA DVD licensor, and the Japanese licensee presents you with a property they've already officially licensed (for digital distribution) in the region, there's not a chance in heck your paying close to what you paid before for (previous) exclusive rights.

That's the part that always mindboggled me when GDH first announced druaga and blaisreitter on CR and what not. Are they expecting to make up for that loss if one of them (druaga if anything) gets picked stateside? Or do they not expect them to be picked up and that's the only reason?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
even though i don't like their ethics, i gotta commend this site for turning into something somewhat useful. there's something nice about getting new anime day and date with professional translations. i hope more companies sign on.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
What really gets to me is that CR doesn't even do the translations for any of the shows - including the two current legit GDH shows, where the translations and subtitle creation are credited to GDH/BOST. So we don't even know if CR can actually translate or not, let alone professionally. This begs the question of why they seem to get the goods, while the legitimite people seems to kept getting shafted. I guess that big fat bank account just helps so much here. Rolling Eyes

Tofusensei is right, what kind of message are they sending to people?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1