• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in LA, NYC, Seattle

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's enough time to make it eligible for an Oscar.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope it gets the attention it deserves at these showings. The piano score was beautiful and the spoiler[final embrace of the two main characters] was touching and effective. However I found the ending a little too positive- I think if spoiler[Makoto's future with Chiaki was left a little more uncertain] I would have been moved far more, but I'd still recommend this to any fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teuvan

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Seattle's just a little too far out of the way. But seeing as how this is my favorite anime movie, I'll actually make a point of picking up the DVD.
mythus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
sooo waiting for a bluray release. This and shinkai collection are on my list of must get bluray's. I know japan will be getting this july 25th on bluray, hope it makes it here soon!
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Its cool that its getting a theatrical release, but I really wish the DVDs would come out soon (or better yet a Bluray version). Oh well, I guess the wait will be worth it. Smile
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what made them decide to give LA and Seattle the sub version while NY gets the dub version. Anyways, this just means that we're coming closer to a DVD and hopefully bluray release that I can't wait for.
halo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for Blu-ray! I already have the R3 Korean DVD so the dub would have to be damn good to make me re-buy it on DVD.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Would it be to much to ask for an Oscar nomination and and a possible increase in showings? (Columbus, Ohio, please?) I'd love to see this on the big screen.

Can't wait for the eventual DVD release, too.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited and definitely planning to attend. I was hoping to hear more since the first announcement.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
While I did really like this movie, and plan on buying the DVD once it comes out, I just don't see it as an Oscar winner. Not amazing by any means, but still a good movie that I enjoy watching multiple times. Near the end it went in a direction it didn't really need to go. While it was slightly awkward, it didn't hurt my enjoyment of it any.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
i hate this y cant i be in nyc or la it look like a good movie Anime cry
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure this film is eligible for an Oscar now. Is it? I attended a screening of it at the NY International Children's Festival, this time last year. Did that screening ruin it's eligibility? Or does screening it in English this year change that?

I would like to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time receive an Oscar NOMINATION. I don't expect it to win anything, but a nomination draws worthwhile attention. I'd feel satisfied knowing that one more person might give this film a shot because they heard it was getting an Oscar nomination. Now, if they like it, that'd be great. If they hated it, well, at least they saw it.

I'm looking forward to the NYC showing. Having seen it twice now, in Japanese, I'm interested in seeing the English version.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Bob: If it hasn't been released on dvd or broadcast on tv in Japan, I think it's eligible.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat May 03, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I wonder what made them decide to give LA and Seattle the sub version while NY gets the dub version. Anyways, this just means that we're coming closer to a DVD and hopefully bluray release that I can't wait for.

Maybe because Seattle and LA have a larger demographic of Japanese people? But anyway, I'll be at the Seattle showing.

Cool
rti9

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Searched for the Oscar rules:

Rule Three
The Awards Year and Deadlines

3. A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2006, with the following further conditions:

a) the film may not be exhibited publicly in any other medium for a three-month period following the commencement of its initial theatrical engagement, and

b) after the three-month period, the film may play in non-theatrical forms provided they are outside the U.S. (No film that is shown inside the U.S. in any nontheatrical form prior to its qualifying Los Angeles run shall be eligible for Academy Awards.)

Although these are specifically for the 80th edition, I doubt they keep changing it year after year.

That said, I've got to ask: why does an Oscar matter?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2