• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in LA, NYC, Seattle

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
rti: It doesn't matter in itself, but the Academy being able to acknowledge animation which isn't just for children would be nice. Beowulf is as good as it got so far.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
It would be interesting if the Academy Awards included animated movies (independent of being American or Japanese) in the nominees for Best Motion Picture of the Year. That would probably be the acknowledgement you speak of.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
It would be interesting if the Academy Awards included animated movies (independent of being American or Japanese) in the nominees for Best Motion Picture of the Year. That would probably be the acknowledgement you speak of.

This used to be the policy before there was a separate Best Animated category, but I think it was the fact that Beauty and the Beast wound up gaining a nomination for Best Picture that made the Academy decide to shunt animated works off to the side. Guess they couldn't have a cartoon competing against their directorial masterworks. Rolling Eyes
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Especially when many of said directoral masterworks have been snore-inducing crap (at least in my humble opinion.)

Much as I'd love to see more anime love at the Oscars, I don't think it will happen any time soon. (Unless GATSU becomes a member of the accademy, which seems unlikely given their system for membership.)

I wish the southern part of Georgia got more love when it comes to anime in theaters. Crying or Very sad Even when we do get a movie, it's in Atlanta. It's about a 3 hour drive for me to get to Atlanta and the polution there always makes me sick. (Literally, I always get a sore throat and migranes.)
rti9

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This used to be the policy before there was a separate Best Animated category, but I think it was the fact that Beauty and the Beast wound up gaining a nomination for Best Picture that made the Academy decide to shunt animated works off to the side. Guess they couldn't have a cartoon competing against their directorial masterworks. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Top Gun! I would have never known. Text from Wikipedia:

The Academy Awards, or Oscars, which are the oldest awards given to achievements in film, included the Best Animated Feature category for the first time for the 2001 film year. Beauty and the Beast (1991) remains the only animated film ever to be nominated for Best Picture.

People in the animation industry and fans expressed hope that the prestige from this award and the resulting boost to the box office would encourage the increased production of animated features. Some members and fans however criticize the award, saying it is only intended to prevent animated films from having a chance of winning Best Picture. Official Academy Award regulations state that any movie nominated for this category can still be nominated for Best Picture. Nevertheless, psychological effects may prevent nominations or serve to suppress protests of an animated film's lack of a Best Picture nomination, much like the Oscars for Best Foreign Language film and Best Documentary Feature.

Perhaps animation and live-action face each other in a more... "frequent fashion" in the Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay categories only.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Crap! Even if it's eligible, there might not be enough animated films this year for the Academy to instate the category this year. Crying or Very sad

Edit: Well, lemme check. Last year, it was 8 minimum. So if we get Tokikake, Wall-E, Horton, Madagascar 2, Space Chimps, Kung Fu Panda, Clone Wars, Fly Me to the Moon, and Igor, we should be alright.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Last year, it was 8 minimum.

The problem is that we don't know if they will qualify at all. Ever since the award was created, only once there were five nominees disputing it. This kinda makes me understand why animated features don't compete on the Best Picture of the Year award. From wikipedia:

* 2001 (74th) Shrek - DreamWorks SKG - Aron Warner
o Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius - Paramount Pictures - Steve Oedekerk, John A. Davis
o Monsters, Inc. - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Pete Docter, John Lasseter

* 2002 (75th) Spirited Away - Toho (Japan) / Walt Disney Pictures (USA) - Hayao Miyazaki
o Ice Age - 20th Century Fox - Chris Wedge
o Lilo & Stitch - Walt Disney Pictures - Chris Sanders
o Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - DreamWorks SKG - Jeffrey Katzenberg, Mireille Soria
o Treasure Planet - Walt Disney Pictures - Ron Clements

* 2003 (76th) Finding Nemo Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Andrew Stanton
o Brother Bear - Walt Disney Picture - Aaron Blaise, Robert Walker
o The Triplets of Belleville - Diaphana Films (France) / Sony Pictures Classics (USA) - Sylvain Chomet

* 2004 (77th) The Incredibles - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Brad Bird
o Shark Tale - DreamWorks SKG - Bill Damaschke
o Shrek 2 - DreamWorks SKG - Andrew Adamson

* 2005 (78th) Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - DreamWorks SKG & Aardman Animations - Nick Park, Steve Box
o Howl's Moving Castle - Toho (Japan) / Walt Disney Pictures (USA) - Hayao Miyazaki
o Corpse Bride - Warner Bros. - Mike Johnson, Tim Burton

* 2006 (79th) Happy Feet - Warner Bros. (USA) / Village Roadshow Pictures (Australia) - George Miller
o Cars - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - John Lasseter
o Monster House - Columbia Pictures - Gil Kenan

* 2007 (80th) Ratatouille - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Brad Bird
o Persepolis - Sony Pictures Classics - Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Paronnaud
o Surf's Up - Columbia Pictures - Lydia Bottegoni, Chris Buck
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, last year's nominations would've gone up to FIVE instead of THREE. Luc Besson's Arthur film was suddenly made ineligible because it was found to not have a high enough percentage of animated content versus live-action content.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not looking/hoping for Oscar wins. Just the increased recognition and [hopefully] promotion that comes with a nomination.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
To be eligible for the next Oscars, a foreign film vying for the Best Animated Feature Award must had been screened in the origin country in 2007 or 2008, and it needs to be commercially screened for a week in at least LA or NYC in 2008.

ANN has The Girl Who Leapt through Time Vintage: 2006-07-15,
so no, it's no longer eligible for the next Academy Awards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2