• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-09]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
What's funny is that Detective Conan's audience in Japan is huge-- consistently gets some of anime's highest ratings, its movies make #1 at the box office, its creator is Japan's richest mangaka, and its actual view demographic solidly ranges from age 8 to 40.

I guess the rift in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is wider than Funi thought.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the Simpsons Japanese dub took the Shin-chan route and rewrote the jokes that made references to American popular culture. Then again, there may be more Japanese that are familiar with American culture than there are Americans familiar with Japan.

That clip from the Ninja Turtles Anime is hilarious. Laughing

As for next question of the week, I already see a lot of people sending in rants about *insert long running and massively popular shounen series here*. Either that or Death Note.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Case Closed is a excellent series, no doubt. I really do belive Case Closed would have made some success in Adult Swim had they given Case Closed a decent slot.

At least Case Closed had a consistant plot and was NEVER to violent like some shonen series.

There isn't much I can say about this matter but, I really do hope Case Closed makes another appearence on Adult Swim in a few years.

Nice picture of the rabbits Zac, though I would like to see some dogs next week. I love dogs, plain and simple.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I predict one of the answer to next week answerfans will be Naruto. Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
why are there no Japanese versions of American cartoons.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Most overrated anime: Probably FMA. Its good, but its not the be all and end all. I liked it, but for me it wasnt as epic as it seemed to be for others.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Ironically, I idd send a message about Naruto. But I'd like to belive I've given enough detail to support my option.

You hit the mark yet again Viga_of_Stars, you definitly got some cool points going on.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I definitely have a sinking feeling that Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Deathnote are going to be the front runners of next week's question.

I haven't really had one that I thought was overrated, just basically, if I liked it, I liked it. If I don't, then I don't plain and simple.
1stAgent

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
I don't know who sent in the question, but I guess I win the "worst dub ever" bet. I've been saying Cardcaptors for years, even after the 4Kids One Piece. Heck, I thought the Eyeshield 21 dub was worse than One Piece until Crispin Freeman nailed Shin's voice.

And dormcat beat me to the PPGZ pic. That series single-handedly put to rest the "Japanese do everything better" mentality.

My vote for most overrated is InuYasha, but I'm sure someone will articulate why better than I can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stopher87

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
From Alex Bower:
Grave of the Fireflies: The bomb pops in mid-air and puppies and rainbows fly out. Everyone comes back to life and dances around with sparklers and American flags.

OMG yes. I don't think that I have ever been more depressed when that movie was over. Please God let the little girl just have one more bit of candy!
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
Quote:
From Alex Bower:
Grave of the Fireflies: The bomb pops in mid-air and puppies and rainbows fly out. Everyone comes back to life and dances around with sparklers and American flags.

OMG yes. I don't think that I have ever been more depressed when that movie was over. Please God let the little girl just have one more bit of candy!

Like that, huh?

I was gonna go further, but I thought it served its purpose.

Kudos for Zac for indulging in my offensive-a** answers. Thanks for helping me bring civilized society to its decline. Very Happy
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:

What's that other anime next to PPGZ?

And I believe Adult Swim lost the license to Case Closed by now, just like with WHR and Outlaw Star (the latter is pretty obvious, though).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I wonder if the Simpsons Japanese dub took the Shin-chan route and rewrote the jokes that made references to American popular culture. Then again, there may be more Japanese that are familiar with American culture than there are Americans familiar with Japan.

The punchline of that ad is Bart bemoaning the tiny size of his ice cream; I guess that's playing off the flabbergasting differences in American and Japanese servings.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know. Detective Conan is an interesting show. I watched it back when it briefly aired on YTV. It was definitely mildly enjoyable. It is rather repetitive though.

Viga_of_stars wrote:

I kinda don't think so. Or if people do send it in, it won't really be accurate. For something to be overrated I'd say the fairly vast majority of people need to think highly of it. For every kid who thinks Naruto is "teh best thing evar!!!1!" there is probably at least one person if not more who think it's terrible. Of course there are plenty of people in the middle as well. In the end I don't really think enough people think Naruto is good to qualify as overrated.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

A little excessive pimping: keep an eye on the site for an exciting announcement soon.

Speaking of pimping, shouldn't you be telling us to save anime by seeing Speed Racer?

Quote:

A variety of reasons, really. First, the show was too childish for Adult Swim and too violent for Toonami. Ultimately it's a show about a smart kid solving crimes a'la Encyclopedia Brown, but the crimes are usually bizarrely violent, so they chose to put the series on Adult Swim where the audience would likely tune out rather than face the wrath of concerned parents calling in to complain that their kid was just watching a show where a boy detective solves the case of the decapitated housewife.

Let's be honest, though. Americans(Westerners) also have a different cultural mindset for crime shows from the Japanese. We go for Dirty Harry/Lethal Weapon/Die Hard/24-style law enforcement, while the Japanese go for detective stories. That doesn't mean our psycho cop cliches do horribly in Japan, though. [Hell, Satoshi Kon recently talked about "Live Free or Die Hard", "Shoot-em-up", and "Revolver" in some of his blog entries.] But they clearly have the patience to sit through mysteries, while we'll only watch those things if the emphasis is on the severity of the killings, and not on the detective-work. [See Se7en.]

RE: TMNT Japan clip. I know for a fact that Eastman is into anime, so I'd imagine he'd be pleased.

Oh, and the worst dub is the Macek Harlock.

Quote:

The Batman anime doesn't count?

GTO: I hope Eva and FLCL make the list myself.

Quote:
The bomb pops in mid-air and puppies and rainbows fly out. Everyone comes back to life and dances around with sparklers and American flags.

It's their ghosts, dammit!

Last edited by GATSU on Fri May 09, 2008 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10