• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Fans Give Eagle Award to Death Note Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that figures, as this show is surprizing popular. At least the award isn't for Naruto I suppose.
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is one of those few shows that deserves all the fandom and praise it gets. More power to it!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
Death Note is one of those few shows that deserves all the fandom and praise it gets. More power to it!

Depsite the fact Death Note has caused countless kids and teenagers to do actions they would normally not do? Or the fact that this show basically states "Forget kindness or compassion, hurt those who have wronged you".

Sounds like a real award winning series here.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Depsite the fact Death Note has caused countless kids and teenagers to do actions they would normally not do? Or the fact that this show basically states "Forget kindness or compassion, hurt those who have wronged you".

Actions like what? Are you inferring that they've raped/murdered/pillaged? The worst is that kids get duplicate Death Notes and write in them to scare their friends (which parents and police drastically overreact to).

Kira doesn't kill those who wronged him. He kills criminals who wrong the world. I'm not saying this in support of him. Just correcting you on the facts.

Just because you might not like it or believe it to be morally reprehensible doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the praise it recieves.
tealovertoma

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
abynormal wrote:

Heh, so manga can actually force kids to do things these days? Or are these kids you talk off to young to even read the manga?

Have you even read the manga or seen the show? Ohba's stance is clearly that of against the death penalty. If anything she's proven how easily people can be persuaded - loads of people I know were rooting for Light and felt like he was doing the right thing, despite being against the death penalty (hypocrites, I know).

Just because the story is from the stance of the bad guy doesn't mean that the series tells you "Forget kindness or compassion, hurt those who have wronged you" - Light is obviously shown as the bad guy time and time again, even killing his own father (indirectly).

Ohba's opened up an important debate and wrote an incredibly intelligent story, if a few kids are too stupid to realize the border between fiction and reality the manga is not to blame.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is a really awesome story!!!

I've not read the manga yet, but the anime and live action movies were really good. I plan on reading the manga soon, when I get time.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

It sounds like you never finished it, but the theme of the series is the temptations of power. Light gets power and his intentions are good: he wants to punish criminals and make the world a better place. But as time goes on, he does forget kindness and compassion, and instead of trying to make the world a better place, he becomes obsessed with trying to keep his power. Even though he should be the best person for the job, he becomes corrupted just like anyone else would.

That, and the series is some of the most intelligently written fiction I've seen in the last several years.
Hegemonic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting, I mean people's comments, I never regarded Light as a hero at all, nor have I found myself rooting for him, but I took it for what it was, a very interesting manga that was especially refreshing.

I believe it deserves the praise it got.

This discussion reminds me of the whole "violent games make you do the things that happen in the game". You know stuff like steal cars and shoot uh...never mind" thing is as with manga and anime it is the same with video games, you have to have a propensity for such actions, that is to say...an inclination to such acts, because frankly if it was never there, no matter how many times a GTA game you play or a sports game that won't necessarily mean that you'll become hooked to sports if you weren't already or had some inclination to it, same with GTA...but I don't think I need to elaborate on that one... ^^;

Oh yeah, since this is my first post I have to say something like: English is my second language...Spanish is my first...so...I read the rules! I know, no need to pat me in the back...I already did that to myself...patting myself on the back, that is...*sudden realization*...oh wait...that doesn't feel right...darn it! I shot myself on the foot! Wink just kidding about the last part, not about my languages.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I can't even describe the lulz I'm feeling out of this comment.

Death Note didn't "cause" anyone to do anything. Kids do stupid things all the time; That is your opinion towards the series, no doubt; but Er...Harry Potter is a best selling book and people think that it it warps kids mind by teaching them witchcraft.

A fictional series is a fictional series; tealovertoma pretty much hit the nail on the head.
subaru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
Quote:

Actions like what? Are you inferring that they've raped/murdered/pillaged? The worst is that kids get duplicate Death Notes and write in them to scare their friends (which parents and police drastically overreact to).

Kira doesn't kill those who wronged him. He kills criminals who wrong the world. I'm not saying this in support of him. Just correcting you on the facts.

Just because you might not like it or believe it to be morally reprehensible doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the praise it recieves.

I think the incident that we are refering to here, is the murdering case where the criminal left a note next to the corpse saying " Watashi was Kira desu"........ I cant remember where it happened......... but it was mentioned in ANN b4.

Don't get me wrong though, I do agree that Death Note deserved the award. It is one of the best story that I've read recently......... other than 20th Century Boys.

The comic itself didn't "teach" people to get rid of people you don't like. It just raised the topic of what justice really is. It gives room for readers to think, but at the same time, It sends an absolutely political correct message to its readers by the end of the story. The main character Light has always been protrayed as a little bit of a bad guy. Every story would have a bad guy and good guy. The bad guy will always do bad things. It's not the fault of the comic and the creator that reader interpreted the story differently and copy what the bad guy is doing in the book. It's not like the book teach its readers HOW to kill people. Writing names down in a note book OBVIOUSLY will not kill anyone in real life.

Just think about it. If someone copy what the evil witch in Snow White did......... give an apple to someone he/ she doesn't like..... and hoping the apple will kill his/ her enemy. Would anyone blame Snow White the story............ or blame the stupidity of the criminal.
[/spoiler]
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the incident that we are refering to here, is the murdering case where the criminal left a note next to the corpse saying " Watashi was Kira desu"........ I can't remember where it happened......... but it was mentioned in ANN b4.

Didn't it turn out to be a corpse taken from a local college used as a prank?
tealovertoma

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
Quote:
I think the incident that we are refering to here, is the murdering case where the criminal left a note next to the corpse saying " Watashi was Kira desu"........ I can't remember where it happened......... but it was mentioned in ANN b4.

Yeah, it happened in Belgium and it was just a prank. Also, they wrote "des", without the u Laughing
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
Quote:

O_O What? I didn't know that....

xD Wow...people are sure screwed up...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1