• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised I didn't see a whole bunch of FMA up there (my favorite series)....... Well not VERY surprised, but a bit. I definitely expected most of those choices though, except Spirited Away.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting replies. Surprisingly, I didn't see anything on Death Note mentioned. Anyways, my thoughts, I agree on the notion that Naruto is incredibly overrated, and the only reason why I watch it still (on television) is simply because I don't like to waste the opportunity to watch anime when we get them in Canada. I will admit though, there are some parts that do have intrigue, and I could definitely see an appeal in such incidents but for the most part I could care less.

In regards to the person who said Spirited Away was overrated, I'm tempted to burst out into a huge rant but I won't. I'll simply disagree, and ponder the thought of someone missing the real charm in arguably Miyazaki's best film to date. Anyways...

The next bunch of replies for the new question is something I really look forward to. I'm predicting someone will put up Fullmetal alchemist. I, myself may try for the very first time but unlike someone who just wants to see more of Ed & Al, I'll approach it with some sense - hopefully I can get my answer in there, so everyone can see... I'm a bit nervous to do so though but who knows? Maybe this time I'll actually write something instead of just thinking about it.

Ah, getting off-topic, I expect at least one person to bring up Fullmetal Alchemist, among others. Personally, I think BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad could get a pretty good sequel depending on how the writing is done now that the band's on the rise following the Grateful Sound Festival.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I too am surprised by Fullmetal Alchemist not being on the list, but I'm rather pleased since it's also my favorite. Not surprised with the multiple Eva, Naruto, and Bleach. I didn't have to read this to know that most responses would be those, and I wasn't even surprised with the Cowboy Bebop comment, it was bound to work its way in there. Hopefully, the person that was disappointed with Hellsing, and they do bring up valid points, will find the Hellsing Ultimate to be more to their liking, it certainly has been for me. Although, my answer to why Alucard uses guns in the first place is that most enemies are so far beneath him that he doesn't feel that they're even worthy of his real abilities. Just my guess though.

I wasn't expecting Spirited Away but I wasn't surprised either(if that makes sense). The biggest surprise was that there wasn't nearly as much DBZ as I thought there would be.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the thing about Spirited Away is that the underlying plot is not supposed to be important; so if you're one who prefers story over characterization (I'm not arguing this is a bad position to take -- I've got a friend who is generally the same way) then you are going to be taking a lot less out of Spirited Away then other people.

Man, do I agree with what Neal said about Nabari no Ou, though. The poor thing really does get left by the wayside at some points, despite it being a pretty good series.

I was suprised by that Guyver response, though. I didn't know it was so popular in the UK. Guyver never seemed like my kind of show though, and I think it would be deserving of being called overrated if it really was that popular over there.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It depends which Guyver the person described. If it's the OVA, I disagree; if it's the tv show, I'm ok with him hating it. As for the person criticizing Hellsing, it's not really meant to be taken seriously. And I imagine Seras is used as a narrative conduit between the worlds of the dead and undead. The BFG is due to the monsters being tougher than the average zombies.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z is an odd one. It's acknowledged that its not even close to being one of the best anime out there. However, it was a series many people like myself watched in our early days of watching anime, and somehow that fandom never let go for some people. If you ignore the crazy Dragon Ball fans, it hardly is brought up in a serious discussion regarding anime. Unless, of course you're going through memory lane.

Fullmetal Alchemist is also my favourite, and while I wouldn't be surprised if it made it up there. FMA, doesn't have a great deal to knock when you really think about it. The ending was the only slight downpoint of the series. If you took the time to watch through the whole thing, it's difficult to really say it wasn't an enjoyable ride where everything comes together in terms of a great storyline, great action sequences, lovable characters, fantastic art, beautiful music, and so forth.

For these reasons, we're going to see responses next week to the newly asked question, in regards to a Fullmetal Alchemist sequel.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z is an odd one. It's acknowledged that its not even close to being one of the best anime out there. However, it was a series many people like myself watched in our early days of watching anime, and somehow that fandom never let go for some people. If you ignore the crazy Dragon Ball fans, it hardly is brought up in a serious discussion regarding anime. Unless, of course you're going through memory lane.

Fullmetal Alchemist is also my favourite, and while I wouldn't be surprised if it made it up there. FMA, doesn't have a great deal to knock when you really think about it. The ending was the only slight downpoint of the series. If you took the time to watch through the whole thing, it's difficult to really say it wasn't an enjoyable ride where everything comes together in terms of a great storyline, great action sequences, lovable characters, fantastic art, beautiful music, and so forth.

For these reasons, we're going to see responses next week to the newly asked question, in regards to a Fullmetal Alchemist sequel.

I have to agree with you on both DBZ and FMA. Although, I am actually mostly satisfied with the ending for Fullmetal Alchemist, so I personally don't see a need for a sequel, but yeah we're going to see them.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I correctly predicted the onslaught of Naruto and Evangelion responses for this week's question. I now predict that next week's will be a whole lot of people saying Berserk! The problem with making a second series for that of course is that well, there's no good stopping point for THAT either.

"Overrated" is probably one of the biggest red-flag terms of anime fandom. You call a show "overrated" and by golly, that's a call to take up arms and come to the aid of the show you like! But really, when you think about it, "overrated" is not the same as "bad." It really just means "not as good as everyone says it is."

For example: Cowboy Bebop's a good show. Good music, animation, characters, you name it. But it's not the single greatest anime series in the history of all anime ever, nor is it perfect in every way, shape, and form. And yet people often proclaim it to be that, as is commonplace for many popular shows; Fullmetal Alchemist's another good example. In that sense, one could correctly state that Cowboy Bebop is overrated. Heck, you could say it is vastly overrated.

The result is that you inevitably get into some sort of Internet shouting match with the superfans who will respond "oh yeah, well I liked it, so you're a great big dummy!" Not exactly productive, and if you think about it, responses like the one above generally help prove the point that the merit of [insert anime title here] is being a bit overvalued by fans in the general sense.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Full_Metal1923 wrote:

I have to agree with you on both DBZ and FMA. Although, I am actually mostly satisfied with the ending for Fullmetal Alchemist, so I personally don't see a need for a sequel, but yeah we're going to see them.

Yeah, I don't mind the ending either. In fact, I enjoyed all of the little tie-ins to post-WW1 - pre-WW2 history. And, even if the movie wasn't there. I'd leave it exactly where it was with the huge cliffhanger. Either one worked well for me, but going any further is incredibly risky, and I don't see the point in it unless a small film is made to go into Ed & Al's involvement in the events leading to World War 2 but honestly, that would likely come off forced the way I see it.

Considering that, perhaps I shouldn't put in an answer Laughing Don't know if that's logic or fear speaking but I believe we're on the same page regarding Fullmetal Alchemist.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
AWO: Replace Berserk with Gantz and I'll agree.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
flourescent orange jumpsuit = stealth

That's a win folks.

I don't know about the Spirited Away one. From what I can tell it is a movie either you love or hate. Or at least that is the way most comments seem to point. Personally I enjoyed the movie very much. I don't understand why people rag on the story so much, I do hope they realize that much of it is told through visualizations though. Sometimes I think people just like to rag on it because it won awards, and therefore it must be too mundane and for the masses to be any good. Something that Japanophile's really can't get behind and give a thumbs up too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?
I'd easily put Fullmetal Alchemist ahead of Cowboy Bebop but aside from that, it's difficult to differientiate a clear opponent. That said, it's all a matter of opinion anyways. Some people don't appeal to Cowboy Bebop the same way as other series. Which is unfortunate of course that they're missing out on the big picture.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:

It seems like 90% of the time when I see something about DBZ posted, it's when someone is using a DBZ comparision to mock some other show, usually in a manner that reflects poorly on DBZ as well. So yah, it's somewhat of an odd choice. The reasoning he gave for including its high sales, but I don't consider high sales alone a good indication of a series being overated. Not as long as you are ignoring things like demographics and the time period and manner of the series' release.
zhir

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
I'd easily put Fullmetal Alchemist ahead of Cowboy Bebop but aside from that, it's difficult to differientiate a clear opponent. That said, it's all a matter of opinion anyways. Some people don't appeal to Cowboy Bebop the same way as other series. Which is unfortunate of course that they're missing out on the big picture.

I think he meant in the same category. I think it's fair to say that there is no better noir/jazz/anime fusion anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7