• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Color Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
testor: She's not a celebrity.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Alba is a hollywood stool-rag...but I guess these days that's what passes for a celebrity. To be fair most "Big Japanese Stars" are stool-rags too.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Jesus christ, stop derailing the thread with this inane garbage.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Anyway... back to Goku and the crew...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nonsense

testorschoice wrote:
Logic

GATSU wrote:
Nonsense

testorschoice wrote:
Logic

Girls, girls, you're both very pretty.

Now, back to the matter at hand. I think it's unfair to use the excuse of relatively unknown actors as a strike against a movie. There are plenty of newcomers who have then exploded onto the film scene. As long as they can act, that's all that matters. And don't even try to say "but they can't act!!!!" based on a still.

Besides, something tells me that a lot of fans would bitch just as much if they used a well-known actor for Goku.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
If they used a well-known guy unsuited for the part, like, say, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut, I'd complain.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

LOL! Dude, you do realize that this thread is about a single picture in a magazine, that was identical to a picture posted yesterday, but this time in color?

It's like saying a Samuel Beckett play is staged cheaply and looks crummy. Yes, and that's possibly a flaw, but it's Beckett, dude. It's kinda his thing...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Zac wrote:

LOL! Dude, you do realize that this thread is about a single picture in a magazine, that was identical to a picture posted yesterday, but this time in color?

I don't recall Jessica Alba being in the photo. And I think he was talking about the arguments with skinny Japanese idol pic shown on the ANN article.

I have to say, I do like the photo; Rossum looks extremely pretty as Bulma.

o.o side note; I read that the producer is trying to rely little on stunt doubles and making the actors do their own stunts for the most part. I don't mind that at all.
RIObsessed

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
This movie will be shit.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
It just struck me why Goku and Piccolo aren't Asian - they're both aliens.

That must be the casting's idea of showing them as foreign.

Good call on their part. It makes perfect sense to me.

It would make much more sense if they started on the Z-era where their mythological deviations ("Demon King", "Monkey King", etc.,) get completely shafted for a more scientific explanation of their roots. But alas, it seems like their completely ignoring any of the slight Saiyuki referencing for a more epic sci-fi route much like the Z series. Imagine the impact it took on Japanese readers and viewers to find out that the character they so loved and cherished (slightly deriving from a Chinese fairy tale, mind you) actually turned out to be an alien from another planet. While I liked the twist, I like to view as Toriyama's way of saying that mythological and scientific explanations of foreigners/aliens are one in the same (well in the Dragon Ball universe at least).

Asian casting or not aside, While Chatwin's hair styling is as close to Son Goku in the manga/anime, just his general appearance looks to be too dramatic. I thought Goku was cheerful and carefree. But hey, if his acting is anything like Goku is suppose to be in the series, than all the more power to them. I'll somewhat remain hopeful. The way I see it, this movie can go both ways.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does that not look like Emma Rossum? Her face looks different.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
I read somewhere that the Director didn't make Justin whatshisface wear a wig, because his hair is already spikey like Gokus, so he claims.

I request that director's eyes get checked. And revoke his driver's license till he gets his eyes checked as well for that test.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
double post demons.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
I read somewhere that the Director didn't make Justin whatshisface wear a wig, because his hair is already spikey like Gokus, so he claims.

I request that director's eyes get checked. And revoke his driver's license till he gets his eyes checked as well for that test.

Do you really need a wig, though? Grow it out, rub a little Crisco in, you should be fine...
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Do you really need a wig, though? Grow it out, rub a little Crisco in, you should be fine...

Yeah, but it's not OVAH 9000!!!!!!!11 type of hair....more like a really bad New Wave type of hairstyle. I know the budget was bad, but was it that bad to not kill for an el-cheapo wig from the local costume shop?

Also, I hear the movie took a great liberty over the original material. spoiler[Goku is not some sheltered peasant hick in some remote area of the world whom doesn't know about girls and believes in some heebee jeebee magic psuedo-science crap about the Dragonballs housing his grandfathers spirit.] He actually is educated and has his own tailor.

Great, that's going to kill all my jokes about Super Sayian forms stopping at 4 because Goku couldn't count any higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3