• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Releases Results for First Quarter of 2008

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
US$6.4 million.

Hopefully they continue to lose more and more, 4Kids is such a horriable anime company. What they did to One Piece, is unexcusable.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Zzzzzzz.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
US$6.4 million.

Hopefully they continue to lose more and more, 4Kids is such a horriable anime company. What they did to One Piece, is unexcusable.

Errrm, not to split hairs, but it was the Japanese that made 4kids edit One Piece. 4kids didn't do it willy nilly. You'd be surprised how much creative control the Japanese licensors have over their properties.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
US$6.4 million.

Errrm, not to split hairs, but it was the Japanese that made 4kids edit One Piece. 4kids didn't do it willy nilly. You'd be surprised how much creative control the Japanese licensors have over their properties.
You mean like the control they had over Pokemon? Laughing
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
US$6.4 million.

Uh... what? And where are you getting this info?

If that was the case, why did the edits suddenly and drastically change their style the moment Funimation started handling the dub and broadcast?

4Kids may not be the devil incarnate like some think, but they did botch One Piece a lot. From what I understand from hearing about the new Funimation version, the CN sometimes demands things for the broadcast version, but 4Kids went way beyond anything CN required. Not to mention CN didn't exactly force them to release only the editted version on DVD.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
As far as I was aware the Japanese owners only approved things that 4Kids did. Although in Funimation's case they made them use certain names (Mantora for instance if I recall correctly).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
4Kids is such a horriable anime company.

Which hopefully they will deliver on the statement that they will no longer be licensing anime. Which Dinosaur King really already broke, but at least it's a kids anime which they do better with. I really don't think Pokemon could have been handled better any other way. Unless the goal was to be less successful. Chaotic is a dutch game originally I believe. As long as they stick to stuff that is actually for kids, I really have no problem with 4Kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I hope they lose more.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there are better companies that could do a better edit job on anime aimed at kids than they do. How many anime has dropped out since Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon?

That seems to be the only source of success, because Shaman King and Tokyo Mew Mew didn't get to have a fighting chance.

Naruto isn't edited too badly but it's doing great.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Uh... what? And where are you getting this info?

If that was the case, why did the edits suddenly and drastically change their style the moment Funimation started handling the dub and broadcast?

4Kids may not be the devil incarnate like some think, but they did botch One Piece a lot. From what I understand from hearing about the new Funimation version, the CN sometimes demands things for the broadcast version, but 4Kids went way beyond anything CN required. Not to mention CN didn't exactly force them to release only the editted version on DVD.

I know it wasn't me but I've said the same before and I got my info from 3 different sources all of whom work in the anime industry. 4kids did make several mistakes themselves with One Piece don't get me wrong. But a goof half of the problems and mistakes were made by Toei who told 4kid to make many changes. Too often fans here only can see 2 inches in front of their face and forget there are many other factors for edits beyond the company releasing it here decided to make a certain change. Just because a change is made it does not mean it was the choice of the American company releasing the particular series.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
US$6.4 million.

So because of one show you hope they go under and all those people, many whom were just doing their jobs as was dictated to them, will lose their jobs? How nice of you. Given the current state of the anime industry I don't hope for the demise of any companies, including 4 kids, because more instability is not what is needed right now.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard that side of the story before. As far as I understand, TOEI helped pick some of the voice actors, but I'm not sure how much they were involved in the rest of 4Kids' dubbing process.

Though, it doesn't really matter now. I don't understand why some fans still obsess over 4Kids' dub on One Piece. Yes, it was bad, but now we have newly dubbed, uncut episodes, so now the 4Kids dub is nothing more than a bad memory.

Besides, as far as their current anime titles go, 4Kids isn't really that bad. Dinosaur King has a pretty good dub; it's probably their best in years. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX's dub isn't that great, but that's ending soon, and hopefully they'll do a decent job on Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
On one-piece; Toei and 4kids are as bad as eachother.

Toei can (unfortunately) getaway with it 'cause they can ride the DBZ gravytrain more or less indefinitely (see DBGT DVDs at the top of JP charts for that one) and as such they can do every dick move in the book and still be able to turn a profit at the end of the year.

Sorry for the OT but it kinda urks me when Toei insist that Sailor Moon is licenced and yet I can't buy it.

On topic: Do you guys figgure that the YU-GI-OH fad is over and that's what's causing that loss?
Mind you, the last season of GX was a poorly rushed mindjob so...
IronManExtremis

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
As far as I was aware the Japanese owners only approved things that 4Kids did. Although in Funimation's case they made them use certain names (Mantora for instance if I recall correctly).

Frequently, the Japanese owners will dictate who they want for the US voice talent. Often times, they'll even tell the US companies to replace a voice actor with one that the Japanese would feel is better for the part. There's a LOT of push and pull going on behind the scenes.

In One Piece's case, it was Toei wanting to make sure the show was marketable as a TV show, and subsequently, they ended-up enforcing heavy demands on 4kids. Other times, one of the stipulations for getting a license is that it might need to garner a certain viewership on TV.

Greg Ayres (and the various anime industry peeps who appear at his panels) tend to go over this in his Fansub/Bootleg panel that he's had at various cons.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
I dunno, that only seems to highlight Toei being a pest. The other studios seem to be fine with leting the Americans do the americaning of the deal and only puting thier feet in the potato salid when asked by the americans.
nekedo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are better companies that could do a better edit job on anime aimed at kids than they do. How many anime has dropped out since Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon?

That seems to be the only source of success, because Shaman King and Tokyo Mew Mew didn't get to have a fighting chance.

Naruto isn't edited too badly but it's doing great.

Agreed on Shaman King. The poor thing was DOA.

...I may be missing something, but are you insinuating Naruto is owned by 4Kids?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2