• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann to Sci-Fi?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Before I get into this: TAKE THIS WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT. This should not be viewed as anything conclusive in and of itself, and there are a lot of question marks that need to be resolved, but it's worth bringing up so that people can start asking Bandai questions and try to get to the bottom of this.

Sci-Fi usually posts their entire broadcast schedule one to two months in advance, though sometimes you need to use some manual URL manipulation to find it. I was doing this to take a look at their July Ani-Monday schedule when I stumbled across the listing for July 28, 2008. Here is a screencap for the lazy:

Note 11:00 and 11:30 pm. Presumably the first two episodes of Gurren Lagann.

Now, reasons why this is still suspect:

1) The Gurren license only JUST changed hands, at least as far as we're aware. It's entirely possible that this was based on an old broadcast deal or something.

2) The show's dub is not going to be even remotely close to ready by July for a broadcast run. I suppose it's possible that it could air subbed, but it would certainly be unusual.

3) Note what is supposedly airing right after Gurren: Black Jack. That's a 2 hour movie that they only have scheduled for an hour, and if you look at the schedule for July 21, you will see that Black Jack is ALSO scheduled to be aired that night. So that whole block on July 28 is kind of suspect.

4) Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday deal is with Starz Media, which grants it access to Manga Entertainment's full library. As far as we know so far, Manga was not involved in either ADV's or Bandai's planned releases of the series, which means one of two things will have had to have happened for this to be true. Either Sci-Fi and Starz have reworked the deal in such a way that Sci-Fi can now acquire other distributors' properties for broadcast or, alternatively, Manga is/was somehow involved in distributing the series for either ADV or Bandai.

Sooooo....yeah, this does seem to raise an awful lot of questions. Very Happy
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
This is quite some news. Even the possibility that it may/was going to air is pretty huge. Then again it is a premier series but still! I can only hope that Sci-Fi really is airing it, that way more people will have exposure, etc.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty suspect since the Bandai Ent dub probably isn't done yet. And I don't remember Sci-Fi airing any subbed anime, recently.

Edit- I checked that link, now it just says "Anime Movie" from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
This is pretty suspect since the Bandai Ent dub probably isn't done yet. And I don't remember Sci-Fi airing any subbed anime, recently.

Edit- I checked that link, now it just says "Anime Movie" from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

Well, Sci-Fi has aired Blood: The Last Vampire before, which is a sub/dub mix (and actually they're airing it again in July, apparently). Not really great precedent, but precedent nonetheless.

And are you sure you clicked the July 28 link and not the July 21 link? I just cleared my cache and the July 28 link is still showing Gurren.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I kinda hope it doesn't end up on Sci-fi. Their handling of anime is so lame. I mean, I watch their Friday night line-up and they don't even run commercials for the anime, and if they do, it's some generic and stupid "ani-monday" commercial, rather than hyping the actual anime being shown. They clearly don't care about the shows, and just try to throw "anime" at people because they know the kids like it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I kinda hope it doesn't end up on Sci-fi. Their handling of anime is so lame. I mean, I watch their Friday night line-up and they don't even run commercials for the anime, and if they do, it's some generic and stupid "ani-monday" commercial, rather than hyping the actual anime being shown. They clearly don't care about the shows, and just try to throw "anime" at people because they know the kids like it.

By that argument, Adult Swim cares about anime even less, since they generally don't offer even a generic "action Saturdays" promo (and before anyone asks, I find the "[as] hates anime" sentiment to be so much hot air). I do agree that I'd rather not see the show on Sci-Fi, but for another reason entirely: time edits. Sci-Fi has repeatedly edited the anime series it's aired because of time constraints imposed by advertising; I know some people who had seen Noein before who kept track of any number of small scenes that had been left out. These edits came despite the fact that Sci-Fi keeps series opening/ending sequences intact (though there's advertising overlaid over the ending credits), when those could much more easily be removed. While [as] does cut short OPs/EDs for time, the last time in my memory they edited the actual content of an episode for time (i.e., the final episode of Eureka Seven), they swiftly acknowledged that it was a mistake and showed the episode in its complete form the next week. I know which network I'd want it to appear on.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By that argument, Adult Swim cares about anime even less, since they generally don't offer even a generic "action Saturdays" promo (and before anyone asks, I find the "[as] hates anime" sentiment to be so much hot air).

They run commercials with clips of the various shows that will be on next week. Sometimes at least. They especially hype new shows.

Quote:
I do agree that I'd rather not see the show on Sci-Fi, but for another reason entirely: time edits. Sci-Fi has repeatedly edited the anime series it's aired because of time constraints imposed by advertising;

You know, I think that US networks that air anime should figure out a way to run them without any edits. For example, running them back to back, so that they don't necessarilly match up at the arbitrary 30 minute marks (but add up to three hours minus comercials when they're done), and then filling the gaps with things like the Shinigami Cup Golden segments, or Tachikoma Days shorts.
jettomanznt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
By that argument, Adult Swim cares about anime even less, since they generally don't offer even a generic "action Saturdays" promo (and before anyone asks, I find the "[as] hates anime" sentiment to be so much hot air).

They run commercials with clips of the various shows that will be on next week. Sometimes at least. They especially hype new shows.

Quote:
I do agree that I'd rather not see the show on Sci-Fi, but for another reason entirely: time edits. Sci-Fi has repeatedly edited the anime series it's aired because of time constraints imposed by advertising;

You know, I think that US networks that air anime should figure out a way to run them without any edits. For example, running them back to back, so that they don't necessarilly match up at the arbitrary 30 minute marks (but add up to three hours minus comercials when they're done), and then filling the gaps with things like the Shinigami Cup Golden segments, or Tachikoma Days shorts.
i agree.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

They haven't run an actual commercial with anime clips in it for many many months (the last time they did was for Death Note in January, and those commercials didn't even have the show's correct air time). They did however used to do "Saturday/Sunday preview" bumps that had clips of premieres. Those also stopped about a month or so ago.

As for "especially hyping new shows," for Code Geass they ran ONE 15 second bump the week that it debuted announcing its arrival. In Death Note's case, it at least got a 30 second commercial....5 weeks after it debuted. Blood+ got a 30 second commercial that appeared literally the night before it debuted. That's "hype?"
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

They haven't run an actual commercial with anime clips in it for many many months (the last time they did was for Death Note in January, and those commercials didn't even have the show's correct air time). They did however used to do "Saturday/Sunday preview" bumps that had clips of premieres. Those also stopped about a month or so ago.

As for "especially hyping new shows," for Code Geass they ran ONE 15 second bump the week that it debuted announcing its arrival. In Death Note's case, it at least got a 30 second commercial....5 weeks after it debuted. Blood+ got a 30 second commercial that appeared literally the night before it debuted. That's "hype?"

Well, what can they do? They probably couldn't advertise on main CN, that's a different audience. And the people who are die-hard Adult Swim fans are generally on the net and know what's coming up.
wizardz199

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I dont think that a show that has only been liscensed recently will be so quickly released onto a cable channel. However, I cannot say that since Code Geas has not been liscened for that long. And I think that its not too recent to be released on Sci-fi. But I doubt that Gurren Lagann would be on t.v. so soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
akichan911

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
There is a series for BlackJack, too, as well as a movie. According to iTunes (which sells mutiple episodes of the series) an episode is about 48-56 minutes in length, perfect for that timeslot.
xia83

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Some of the forums I really frequent were discussing the same thing. Sci-fi vs AS

The way I see it, I was kind of hoping that AS would have gotten it. Not because I think SCI-FI would do a bad job at it, but because to most normal people, AS is where the anime is. I dont know anyone who knows about Ani-Monday. And surprisingly alot of people think the same, which is rare because so many anime fans just dont want their show to blow up and get those kind of fans.

We will see. I'm hoping it blows up, since anime on t.v in general needs that next big thing.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
You all do realize this is fake don't you. It pritty obvious since sci fi channels schedual only shows the current and the next months show listings and there are a lot of tba in the anime box so unless you have some amazing skills with computers im will to say that this is fake.-Not to mention startrek the next generation isn't shown on sci fi
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Well, what can they do? They probably couldn't advertise on main CN, that's a different audience. And the people who are die-hard Adult Swim fans are generally on the net and know what's coming up.

Then why do they advertise their toilet-humor shows while Bleach/Death Note is running? I sure am not in that audience, and while there is some crossover I know many other people besides me hate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2