• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shogakukan Considers Ending Weekly Young Sunday Mag

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
Nooooooooo... Noooooooooo....

What will my life be worth without Kurosagi...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
Looks like times are changing, good and bad in Japan.
Bushwack

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Kind of makes you wonder how they got Birdy the Mighty made into an
Anime... I guess the readership of the magazine has just declined over the years. So if they do shutdown how many of the titles find a new "home".
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
All I care about in this mag are Inio Asano's series. But I'm sure Punpun is close to being over anyway.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Times change people, we've seen changes in the last couple of years, better or worse.

Last year Geneon closed, (2007)

A year before that, Viz Media upped the prices of manga for the first time in a long while, (2006)

This year,

Adv has had to eliminate some licenses (2008)

A new magizine replaced another with the name "Pique", I think it was Anime Insider, but I am not 100 % sure (2008)

The anime industry is losing more and more money because of illegal downloads, fansubs and lack of people purchasing dvds and such. (2008)

Lets face the facts people, the econmy is not doing well. If more people would open their eyes and make a heartfelt attempt to help out anyway they could, over time maybe the economy would get better. I.e. buy dvds, buy manga, don't dowload or use "torrents".

I wouldn't be surprized if more companies had to close down like Geneon, because like I said, times are changing, both good and bad.
DPX

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Times change people, we've seen changes in the last couple of years, better or worse.

A year before that, Viz Media upped the prices of manga for the first time in a long while, (2006)

This year,

Adv has had to eliminate some licenses (2008)

A new magizine replaced another with the name "Pique", I think it was Anime Insider, but I am not 100 % sure (2008)

The anime industry is losing more and more money because of illegal downloads, fansubs and lack of people purchasing dvds and such. (2008)

Lets face the facts people, the econmy is not doing well. If more people would open their eyes and make a heartfelt attempt to help out anyway they could, over time maybe the economy would get better. I.e. buy dvds, buy manga, don't dowload or use "torrents".

I wouldn't be surprized if more companies had to close down like Geneon, because like I said, times are changing, both good and bad.

What do you mean "good and bad", nothing you listed was good at all! Sad

As for the bolded part, the magazine that was replaced was Newtype USA, I cried myself to sleep when I first heard of it.
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

[...]

Geneon itself never closed. It was Geneon USA that had the major screw up and indefinably ceased operations. But that may or may not be for much longer. There are rumors floating around out there that Geneon USA is actually making a attempt of getting back on their feet, or at least shell out their newer licensing rights more so then they were doing now.

And as for Viz upping the price of Manga, I wouldn't call the price range of $7.99 - $9.99 that big of a blow to your pocket. After all considering way back when, Viz was selling manga for like $15.00 a pop. Unless I missed something...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Storm Princess wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

[...]

Geneon itself never closed. It was Geneon USA that had the major screw up and indefinably ceased operations. But that may or may not be for much longer. There are rumors floating around out there that Geneon USA is actually making a attempt of getting back on their feet, or at least shell out their newer licensing rights more so then they were doing now.

And as for Viz upping the price of Manga, I wouldn't call the price range of $7.99 - $9.99 that big of a blow to your pocket. After all considering way back when, Viz was selling manga for like $15.00 a pop. Unless I missed something...

Quote:
Geneon itself never closed.]It was Geneon USA that had the major screw up and indefinably ceased operations.

I was intially talking about Geneon Usa, but you make a great point though.

Quote:
But that may or may not be for much longer. There are rumors floating around out there that Geneon USA is

Though I did check out the link below, that site is nothing but rumors and spectulation. To belive Geneon will be restarted based off rumors and specualtion is foolhardy. For all we know, that guy could be making the entire story up.

actually making a attempt of getting back on their feet, or at least shell out their newer licensing rights more so then they were doing now.

To answer DPX,if you want good news, some shows have having brand new seasons and ova's. But as for actual companies, they are in big trouble. During the Adv incident, I was almost sure Adv would be forced to close down the North American branch, similar to Geneon.

This is why companies need to license series that WILL make revenue. Customers do come first, but if the company licences shows that few people would actually buy, then that company is screwed and will be taken off the market completely.

Be glad Viz Media, Funimation and even Adv are still around, because with the bad economy, they may not be able to make enough money to make revenue.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
To be frank ADV at times seems to fly in the face of the consumers.

I mean at this point, only a nieve fool would expect Keroro Gunso to come out here via ADV.

When companies mermaid thier shows, no one wins.
Maybe the japanese but who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1