• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Central 2008 - Funimation Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation is certainly the unquestionable powerhouse since the Geneon debacle, but I guess they were always on top. Although I question if some of these shows will move off the shelf.

Also, how good, and I mean really here, can DBZ look in Blu-ray? Can it not only look as good as the source?

Quote:
The set, it was announced, will feature an unusual bonus feature: a pair of panties emblazoned with the word “GOD.”

To bad that most of the people buying this series are guys! Razz
Though I guess that's the point.

One thing I like is how they are are not going the sub-only route like many others. Thing is some of there licensing choices seem like a waste here, so I am concerned that they will lose to much money and have to do sub-only's in the future. I watch both by the way, but will only buy sub only if I know I will like it. In other words, I would have much less experimental buying. This isn't the mid ninities anymore, I actually like my dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
regarding the recent meltdown of Geneon and what former Geneon licenses, if any, Funimation might be pursuing. While Sheehan artfully dodged specifics in his answer, it was clear both from his optimistic tone and the big new license he later revealed (their sixth in as many days) that the company is confident in the future of the R1 anime industry and their place in it.

So basically either Funimation situtution hasn't changed or they want to do the "waiting game"
Quote:

The set, it was announced, will feature an unusual bonus feature: a pair of panties emblazoned with the word “GOD.”

That is really disturbing. I don't what the hell Funimation is doing there. I know Shuffle's audience is mostly guys, but that is still freaking creepy.

Another question, what ever happend to Funimation acquiring the rights for Love Hina? Normal male fans don't give a crap about some pretty boy generic shojo series, I would think Funimation would have talked about other interesting shows and events.

If Funimation wasn't the company that licensed Dragon Ball, Full Metal Alchemist and Case Closed, I'd be very pissed with them now.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Quote:

To bad that most of the people buying this series are guys! Razz
Though I guess that's the point.
Your talking about a title that is nothing but loli-moe otaku fodder, so the pantie is like the gravy in "Gravy Train". Like the dogs. they will literally lap this up.

Quote:
One thing I like is how they are are not going the sub-only route like many others. Thing is some of there licensing choices seem like a waste here, so I am concerned that they will lose to much money and have to do sub-only's in the future. I watch both by the way, but will only buy sub only if I know I will like it. In other words, I would have much less experimental buying. This isn't the mid ninities anymore, I actually like my dubs.
Same here. It seems that the other companies are so paranoid about fighting the fansubbers that they are completely ignoring the one group who 99% of the time paid for their hybrid products, leaning on the lame excuse "it's a niche title" forgetting that apart from Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, they are mostly all "niche products". Throwing out the baby with the bathwater Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue May 20, 2008 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear the rest of Case Closed will be released in full season boxsets. Anime smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
Glad to hear the rest of Case Closed will be released in full season boxsets. Anime smile

That is true, maybe that series will get the ending the series deserves.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Are they USED panties, and are they the appropriate size for a five-year-old girl?

Wow. Someday, America might be half as perverted as Japan.

Anyone figure out that announcement?
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
DargonXTC wrote:
Also, how good, and I mean really here, can DBZ look in Blu-ray? Can it not only look as good as the source?

The show's been remastered, and Sheehan claimed it looks spectacular in hi-def, but there was no trailer or anything to prove that point.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Another question, what ever happend to Funimation acquiring the rights for Love Hina? Normal male fans don't give a crap about some pretty boy generic shojo series, I would think Funimation would have talked about other interesting shows and events.

Love Hina did come up in the Q&A....I believe delays in releasing it were due to a delay in getting the proper materials from the Japanese licensor or something to that effect. Someone asked if they planned to give the show a new dub, and the answer was no (which is a shame because the old dub is, um, not good).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
... with the first 2-in-1 release featuring Dead Zone and World's Strongest bowing before month's end.

That should be edited since that will be the second Blu-ray Disc release for Dragonball Z; and all of the DBZ BDs have been double features (including the upcoming Bardocks/Trunks release).

Anyway seven new licenses from Funi and I'm not interested in any of them. Getting Shigurui will hopefully lead to Funi or another company getting Kemonozume. The Shuffle panties+box release is extremely creepy but my hate for the show remains unchanged. Laughing Makes me wonder if they'll go a step further and get Kodomo no Jikan... Razz

jgreen wrote:
DargonXTC wrote:

The show's been remastered, and Sheehan claimed it looks spectacular in hi-def, but there was no trailer or anything to prove that point.

Remastering something just to crop it to widescreen was a brilliant idea. Rolling Eyes
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. The coming winter sees the release of the all-ages Save Me! Lollipop (based on Michiyo Kikuta's shojo manga, published in English by Del Rey), the more action-oriented KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple, and the single-season boxset of the Gunslinger Girl sequel Il Treatino.

Am I reading that right,is Funamation planing to forgo individual volumes and give us all of season two of 'Gunslinger Girl' at once,sweet. First Bandai plans to give us all 13 episoides of 'Rocket Girls' as a single set now this, I think the coming year will be very good for some of us.

Last edited by Fabe on Tue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Your talking about a title that is nothing but loli-moe otaku fodder, so the pantie is like the gravy in "Gravy Train". Like the dogs. they will literally lap this up.

Well when you put it that way, this image comes to mind. lapping<---Not explicit, but wouldn't click if at work.
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
That is really disturbing. I don't what the hell Funimation is doing there. I know Shuffle's audience is mostly guys, but that is still freaking creepy.

It's not like they are the first. ADV did something like this with the first volume of Najica.

You know, they aren't used or anything, but I am wondering if they are of a high enough quality for a girl to actually wear. I know women can be quite picky about their knickers.

jgreen wrote:
Love Hina did come up in the Q&A....I believe delays in releasing it were due to a delay in getting the proper materials from the Japanese licensor or something to that effect.

At least it sounds like they still plan to release it. Though it is sad it will not be getting a new dub. That is a good example of one that could use it.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Getting Shigurui will hopefully lead to Funi or another company getting Kemonozume.

Hear, hear.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Getting Shigurui will hopefully lead to Funi or another company getting Kemonozume.

Hear, hear.

And Mononoke. And Kaiba. And... well, y'all get the idea.

Even if Shigurui is the only upcoming release of theirs I give a damn about, I really hope that FUNi's upcoming series -- particularly those in the season set format -- do very well. It would certainly invite them to experiment more and release some of the aforementioned underappreciated series and others that are likely to otherwise be neglected by North American companies.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Still nothing new about Darker than Black? How disappointing. Oh well, I guess the release date for Romeo x Juliet will have to appease me for now (even if it is a year off).

Also, the real disturbing thing about Shuffle is that it was a success.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
DargonXTC wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Love Hina did come up in the Q&A....I believe delays in releasing it were due to a delay in getting the proper materials from the Japanese licensor or something to that effect. Someone asked if they planned to give the show a new dub, and the answer was no (which is a shame because the old dub is, um, not good).

Thank you for answering that question and I completely agree with you. Keitaro's dub was okay, Su's dub was above average, Motoko's dub fitted the charcter, Kitsune dub was great, Naru's dub was alright and Shinobu's dub was squecky and forgetable.

Shame Funimation didn't re-dub Love Hina.
e-imi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Also, the real disturbing thing about Shuffle is that it was a success.
I'm actually quite glad to hear that Shuffle! was a success.

I wouldn't mind a Shuffle! t-shirt instead though, at least someone would be able to see it. Razz Although, the panties are better then nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2