• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic-Con Int'l to Host Bleach's Kubo in San Diego

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I was really hopping he'd be at Comic-Con. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with AX and the LACC this year.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
I wish I could go to that Comic-Con, Tite Kubo is such an excellent manga and anime creator.

I love Bleach as well, I will only read the Viz Media shonen jump edition of Bleach and will only watch Bleach in English.

To be able to get his authograph would be great.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
I wish I could go and meet him... then I'd scream:

WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER!!! STOP IT WITH THE MAID IN DISTRESS SETTING!

Also, I love the fact that Chad is part-mexican :3
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:

WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER!!! STOP IT WITH THE MAID IN DISTRESS SETTING!

w00t!
Hiispanic pride! xD [there's not much of spanish people in anime anywayz xP]

Grrr.I wish I can go.
But I live on the other side of the darn U.S
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Who the hey are you?
A fan.
Mr Kubo has been PRETTY successful doing what he does. Lots of people like what he does.
Isn't ALL manga (comics, in fact) the SAME story again & again?
Isn't shonen "Gather your team, go wail on the baddie"? I'm pretty sure Bleach follows this basic mode. Every single Z Fighter was GOku's rival at some point, weren't they?
It's just how the genre goes.
How many times did Ikki show up to save Shun's cute little rear?

I love it when individual fans think they know better than the authors. We all have things we dislike about any story, but guess what? THe thing you dislike may be exactly what the guy in the seat next to you at con reads the thing for. Ever read fan fics? Those are fans thinking they're improving on a story idea/plot/character. Bulma should have stuck with Yamcha. Krillin should have killed Vegeta. The dragonballs shouldn't be able to wish everyone back from the dead all the time. whatever.
Every story has someone who thinks it should have happened an alternate way instead of how it happened.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Who the hey are you?
A fan.
Mr Kubo has been PRETTY successful doing what he does. Lots of people like what he does.
Isn't ALL manga (comics, in fact) the SAME story again & again?
Isn't shonen "Gather your team, go wail on the baddie"? I'm pretty sure Bleach follows this basic mode. Every single Z Fighter was GOku's rival at some point, weren't they?
It's just how the genre goes.
How many times did Ikki show up to save Shun's cute little rear?

I love it when individual fans think they know better than the authors. We all have things we dislike about any story, but guess what? THe thing you dislike may be exactly what the guy in the seat next to you at con reads the thing for. Ever read fan fics? Those are fans thinking they're improving on a story idea/plot/character. Bulma should have stuck with Yamcha. Krillin should have killed Vegeta. The dragonballs shouldn't be able to wish everyone back from the dead all the time. whatever.
Every story has someone who thinks it should have happened an alternate way instead of how it happened.

And there's also fans who think that nobody but them are right about some sarcastic comment on the internet Rolling Eyes

I stopped reading Bleach because I got bored of reading the same stuff, but I liked a lot before that and had thought that this may be different from the rest of the stuff out there, when I saw that it wasn't, I felt dissapointed and started reading something else.

Also, if you think that ALL manga is the same stuff over and over again, then you should start reading something different, there are quite a number of original works, that keep things fresh and interesting.
noobles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I can remember watching Bleach and enjoying it so much that I thought to myself "I wish this never ends" - seeing the state of its story now, I wish they ended it with the Soul Society arc.
And I've seen plenty of people who thought it went downhill after the SS arc - and while I have no doubt there are people who genuinely still enjoy Bleach - when you've been following something for quite sometime and are a fan, when it finally starts to deteriorate you tend to be in denial about it or just lower your standards.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing him there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:

w00t!
Hiispanic pride! xD [there's not much of spanish people in anime anywayz xP]

Pedro: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!" Laughing
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
noobles wrote:
I can remember watching Bleach and enjoying it so much that I thought to myself "I wish this never ends" - seeing the state of its story now, I wish they ended it with the Soul Society arc.
And I've seen plenty of people who thought it went downhill after the SS arc - and while I have no doubt there are people who genuinely still enjoy Bleach - when you've been following something for quite sometime and are a fan, when it finally starts to deteriorate you tend to be in denial about it or just lower your standards.

Or maybe, the whole concept of good and bad or what's "deteriorating quality" when compared with earlier stages of a work in progress is completely subjective, and not solely accountable to the whims of any individual or group of fans. IMHO, Bleach has done nothing but outshine itself the longer the manga runs on. I can not for the life of me figure out why people say it should have stopped after the SS arc. I know a majority of the people I've talked to who have said this are referring to the anime (as it seems you are, correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm sure there are those out there that are referring to the Arrancar arc as well. And if you're going to talk about failing expectations, take a nice long look at Naruto episodes 136-220. Yeah, that's what I thought...
As someone once told me, "to each his own."
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The post about Chad in Bleach and there being a lack of Hispanics in anime was a good post. I do like anime that has minorities. Another popular one for minorities is Jet in Cowboy Bebop. Popular anime featuring someone that's Black.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
sweet! ill be there :))
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Viz keeps on talking about celebrating Shonen Jump's fifth year, but they seem to be forgetting that 2008 is the magazine's sixth year. There's no room for confusion here, either.
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Viz keeps on talking about celebrating Shonen Jump's fifth year, but they seem to be forgetting that 2008 is the magazine's sixth year. There's no room for confusion here, either.

It is their fifth anniversary, not fifth year that they are touting so I believe they are correct.

And yea I am excited about meeting him in person. I hope he can do sketches rather than simply sign an autograph. I also look forward to hearing him speak at the panels and maybe I will catch the movie showing at the Comic-Con theater.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
^ Damn, beaten.

The original magazine is also celebrating its 40th anniversary. It was first released in 1968.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2