• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jojo's license pulled because of Muslim sensibilities?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Article here (japanese): http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080522-00000038-mai-soci

Brief summary: Due to a scene in the anime involving the dropping of the Koran, the company has stopped all distribution of the series in arab countries after some protests.

I guess this is the reason why Super techno arts stopped the american distribution as well. Although the article only talks about distribution in Arab countries.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt there's any connection. Jojo's hardly a new series, so its license may have expired or they may have just decided it wasn't selling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I highly doubt there's any connection. Jojo's hardly a new series, so its license may have expired or they may have just decided it wasn't selling.

But read your own article on the subject.... it sounds a lot more like something suddenly happened than any of your examples.

Quote:

AnimeOnDVD.com points out that the website of the distributor Super Techno Arts has been taken down, and AnimeNation confirmed with Super Techno Arts that the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime is no longer being distributed in America due to an unspecified "issue" in Japan. Between 2003 and 2004, Super Techno Arts released six volumes of this OAV adaptation of Hirohiko Araki's manga.

unspecified "issue" <- sounds like the news I pointed out to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1