• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Negima! GN 17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
After four years, this manga is still one of my favorite series. Great idea though, this arc really is interesting.

Negima is one of those that could take several years to complete, but I am no hurry.
Grico

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this really was a great volume, the series has had me hooked for awhile now. It will be interesting to see where it goes post-festival and if we go back to more school drama as opposed to the more shonen-y tournaments and fighting that defined the current arc.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I found it really interesting that one of the biggest issues you had was the narrative style. Maybe it's just in comparison to other manga that you read, but my background is mostly in fantasy novels which destroy Negima in split narratives and even in number of characters.

Personally, I've never found Negima hard to follow. Breaking for a chapter to follow Asuna's battle and then another for Chisame isn't hard to follow, in fact Negima makes it extremely easy because it is a manga, you have pictures of the characters right there.. But also maybe that's related that I've never had any difficulty telling the characters apart, even since volume one. That's another thing that I think Negima happened to do very well, for the sheer number of characters compared to other manga the character design is very well thought out to be able to differentiate visually between everyone.

I don't know, just my opinion but perhaps you're judging the reading and visual comprehension level for the view too far down the grade scale, or maybe I'm judging it too far up. At least thank you for reviewing it though, Negima is a series that deserves more readers.
driverstart

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the fact that the artwork and diagloue is quite crammed in there, but I like that. Normally, a manga volume takes me around 20 minutes to finish and that bothers me, but, with Negima, a regular volume takes me forty minutes or less to finish which makes it much more enjoyable because it actually took me a while to finish and makes me feel like I got my money's worth out of the volume.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I really think Ken Akamatsu wants to do a shonen-type action series next. It's screaming off of these pages.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I really think Ken Akamatsu wants to do a shonen-type action series next. It's screaming off of these pages.

Next? He's doing one right now. Cool
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Also, this is probably a matter of personal taste, but I think the "crowded and busy" pages are a feature, not a bug. Negima seems to be one of the few series that accomplishes the feat of portraying that "a lot" is going on and then placing the characters into the surrounding confusion. This is especially evident to me as we get to the pages where the student body is repelling Chao's forces.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Next? He's doing one right now. Cool

I've been reading Negima since volume two, about four years ago. At that time I had just completed Love Hina. Truthfully, I hope Ken Akamatsu does another story similar to Love Hina, but not like Al Love you.

Al Love You was all right, but no where near as good as Love Hina and Negima. I realize some people may think I am one of those creepy fans because of some of the fanservice, but I am not. I will follow Ken Akamatsu as long as he keeps writing manga. Like Bleach and when I have a chance to recountine Case Closed, I don't mind collecting for several more years.

Negima is a one of a kind series in some way. In some aspects, Negima is even better than Bleach, but likewise as well. For me, Bleach had its peak of excitement during Ichigo going bankai for the first time and Negima after volume one.
ishmael

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:

Personally, I've never found Negima hard to follow. Breaking for a chapter to follow Asuna's battle and then another for Chisame isn't hard to follow, in fact Negima makes it extremely easy because it is a manga, you have pictures of the characters right there.. But also maybe that's related that I've never had any difficulty telling the characters apart, even since volume one. That's another thing that I think Negima happened to do very well, for the sheer number of characters compared to other manga the character design is very well thought out to be able to differentiate visually between everyone.

I also had never trouble with the number of characters. I just wish the table with all the students would appear in all volumes, though, for sometimes they shift using first and last names, and some are a mouthful, so certain secondary characters I need to use the board.

Otherwise, I thought the budokai tournament to be a bit of a drag, even though IMO it's way better than a lot of shonen battles, since each character has a very distinctive style - magic, martial arts, superscience... It was just too long. But the part after that is really one of the best of the series - Chao's trap and Negi's plans work great.

Is it just me though or people are really naive? CGI? Really? Laughing If the title were not a comedy, that part would have killed it! Laughing
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Negima, combining major moral dilemmas and spoiler[jellyfish tentacle rape] in the same volume.

ishmael wrote:
Is it just me though or people are really naive? CGI? Really? Laughing If the title were not a comedy, that part would have killed it! Laughing

Remember, it's a real world setting; most people have no reason to believe magic exists. How else would some like you or me explain such a physically impossible event?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
because Mahora Academy has students capable of building sentient androids, oversits massive underground caverns and complexes, and is centered around a tree the size of the Chrysler Building.

I'd imagine the student body has a low threshold for suspension of disbelief.
ishmael

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Remember, it's a real world setting; most people have no reason to believe magic exists. How else would some like you or me explain such a physically impossible event?

I know, but if I were confronted with an event like this, I'd revise my position about a lot of things... And as far as I know, I live in the real world.

But I'm really being picky here, given the tone of the series, and some magical pseudo-explanations, it's really ok.
Seriesta

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
It's the details in the manga which makes me focus on a scene longer. It's not like some mangas I read which has crappy backgrounds that anyone can draw.

Ken Akamatsu's works always leave me wanting for more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1