• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-23]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
VGcats is funny now and then.

i'm surprised that no one mentioned Black Lagoon needed a sequel, i thought it was pretty much a general consensus around here. i would also like to see a Gunbuster/Diebuster sequel. spoiler[both OAV's ended at the point, and they never really explained where the enemies came from]
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
humm i usually watch 2 eps to decide if something is worth my time, unless its been pimped really hard to me by friend in which case i will give it more of a chance. But i have stopped watching after a single episode because a series failed to give me anything I wanted to see. I've left a series after 12 eps at the most. If i can sit through the first 10, then I'll usually sit through the rest, unless its a long shonen series, in which case I might give up if it loses my interest (like bleach did after 60 something eps).
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Order of the Stick is the best D&D based webcomic. Couldn't tell you what the best anime based webcomic would be...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
How many episodes? Usually half the episodes of a normal 26 episode show will tip me off. I would say all, but then you label me a leech destroying the industry.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I think on questions of the week like this one. Zac should put a tally of what everyone who wrote wanted to have a sequel of, including the letters that he didn't post in his editorial. Just a smiple list with a score. Granted this wouldn't work or make sense with a lot of the questions that have been asked, but on ones like this I think it would be interesting.

Bad idea or good?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The first ep is generally all you need to tell how good the staff are, and whether they're phoning it in. It'll also usually give you a pretty good idea of the thematic content and narrative style.

If neither of those look like they'll be to my taste, I'll drop it; I might pick it up again if someone tells me I've misunderstood something [say, it's really an ott parody rather than ham-fisted seriousness], but generally I don't. There's lots more cartoons out there.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm partial to Questionable Content myself, but I will confess that I've been reading Piro et al. for a good 6 years now,
simmererdown

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc, I think that is a good idea but might be to time consuming for Zac.

Also good answerfan question for this week!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I think on questions of the week like this one. Zac should put a tally of what everyone who wrote wanted to have a sequel of, including the letters that he didn't post in his editorial. Just a smiple list with a score. Granted this wouldn't work or make sense with a lot of the questions that have been asked, but on ones like this I think it would be interesting.

Bad idea or good?

If I had interns who screened column-specific email I'd be happy to provide this.

Unfortunately it's just me so there's no way in hell I'd have time for something like this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I've never laughed once at Achewood and Perry Bible Fellowship is hit or miss at best. Penny Arcade is far more consistantly funny than either of them. I would reccomend Wonderella for some real laughs.

I wouldn't disagree with the notion of Fullmetal Alchemist deserving a sequel, but as I said last week, there's a huge difference between deserving a sequel and needing one. FMA is entirely finished. It can't get any more finished, especially after that movie. It's a complete product. More of it is unnecessary.

As far as how many episodes it takes for me before I give up the ghost on a program, it depends on various factors. Funny Zac should bring up LoGH, because though the first few episodes didn't impress me, I found myself fully engaged by the sixth episode and never stopped until the 110th, final episode. It really grabbed me after a while. But I've grown more patient after years of fandom. Four years ago, I wouldn't have waited as long for it to get as good as it did. I think you sort of lose perspective to new viewers after a while.

I usually give about three episodes, unless I'm feeling particularly forgiving or the show has very good word of mouth, then I might give a couple more. Once I'm halfway in, though, I finish, no matter how awful. It's mostly to add a production to my list.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri May 23, 2008 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Hellsing Ultimate the product of Japanese companies' recognition of a rabid American fanbase? I can't say that Berserk is as popular but I get the feeling it would do well. From what I understand though Kentarou Miura gave a lot of himself to the anime and who knows if he has the energy to do that again. Maybe when the manga finishes?
Brand

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, what is so different about the Japanese production of DVDs that makes them so much more expensive? I can't imagine producing the physical product being that much more expensive there then it is here in the U.S.

As someone who spent $30+ Dollars on VHS tapes that might only have one (1) episode, I almost never complain about the prices of anime DVDs. My only exception to that is Bandai Visuals' Honneamise titles, dear god who thought that would be a good idea? There are a few titles I want from them but it's just going to have to wait until I can find a good deal on them.

But I don't feel all that bad about a $30 4 ep DVDs. Shows like Lost aired on tv and so a lot of revenue was made with advertisements, so the DVDs can be cheap. Where anime DVDs don't have that luxury. Even when they are shown on tv I highly doubt the revenue is all that great, it's just a great chance to promo the product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just my opinion, but I thought that Eureka Seven had one of the most clear-cut, nicely-wrapped-almost-everything-up endings I've come across. I was certainly left with no doubt at all that spoiler[Renton and Eureka would make it back to Bellforest in due time]; it's kind of implied by the mood of the series as a whole. It's for this reason that I'm very apprehensive about the quality of the recently-announced upcoming movie, though the "alternate timeline" rumors have assuaged me somewhat. I can't say I'm a fan of the FMA contributor's suggestion; even if the movie didn't leave things exactly as I would have liked, it had a very definite air of finality. And as for FLCL...come on. You don't mess with 6 episodes of perfection. Razz

One series I'm surprised didn't make it in there was Big O, considering how fantastically ambiguous and unrevealing its ending was. Then again, I'm rather conflicted over it myself. I know that what ended the series really wasn't meant as an ending in the first place, and I know that it raises a hell of a lot more questions than it answers...but a huge part of me absolutely loves it for those same reasons. It allows you to play the most fantastic mind games and come up with crazily convoluted theories, and no one's able to say that you're wrong. I feel like the very ambiguity of the ending is a significant part of what makes the series my personal favorite.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
...that there are only about 4 good webcomics in sum total

WRONG!

http://www.qwantz.com/
http://katebeaton.com/Site/Welcome.html

gg no re
zhir

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Ever read Dresden Codak Zac? It has great art, and very intelligent writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7