• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gosick Vol. 1 (novel)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop screwed up the name, it's VICTORICA. Someone tell them that.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic, hopefully we can get some good word of mouth going on this series. It certainly deserves it.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
wow this sounds interesting, will order it next week when i get my paycheck in
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Huh. This is a novel correct? Why does the "art" even get a rating here? It looks like there's only one picture to base it off of. I mean unlike manga, I think it's rather unfair if this was counted in the overall score. That aside, the concept of gothic lolita girl + murder mystery interests me.
springrequiem

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Huh. This is a novel correct? Why does the "art" even get a rating here? It looks like there's only one picture to base it off of. I mean unlike manga, I think it's rather unfair if this was counted in the overall score. That aside, the concept of gothic lolita girl + murder mystery interests me.

Since it was a light novel, there are actually several illustrated pages within the book itself, afaik; the score isn't just based on the cover art. It didn't change the overall score, though, still B.

I was surprised that they didn't use the Japanese cover illustration, though (at least... I think that's it). Personally I find that illustration gorgeous and much more interesting than just Victorique's upper body.

Well, they probably had some reason. Maybe that would make too many people think it's a manga and not a novel? Though they put "the novel" on there beneath the title logo... there aren't any other incarnations of Gosick, right? So why add that, just to prevent misconceptions? Eh, still look forward to picking this up. As long as the story itself is good, the packaging isn't a big deal. Plus I've been waiting for it since I heard about it a while back.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
springrequiem wrote:
It didn't change the overall score, though, still B.

You didn't write this review.
springrequiem

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant that looking at the breakdown, the art got a C+ but the story already got a B.

Though I guess the impression of the art could've changed the story score, I just assumed. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1