• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oshii Oversees Opening, Ending for NHK Documentaries

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mgz

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
wow , the music is EPIC.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I want to see this documentary. The concept is fascinating. Having Oshii and others involved makes it even more interesting.

The Dubai piece alone would be fascinating. It's one of the richest countries in the world. The construction they're doing is simply amazing. I saw a documentary on the Discovery or History channel about it. They are building islands as well as the tallest building in the world. It's amazing. Then again, considering how high gas prices are and how these are some of the people who have reaped the benefits of oil crises over the years, I wonder if we shouldn't be a bit miffed at such decadence.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
If this ever gets picked up in the US/UK regions, there is a better than 95% chance the opening and music will be stripped out.

In the US market especially, there is absolutely zero use for opening titles in docus. A very quick title card is all that is wanted.

A docu-drama like Deadliest Catch can get away with a longer intro piece but not a serious docu.

Anyway, it seems to me that NHK has always had bad luck getting their docus sold over here. Many of them end up cut into clips and reworked into other projects. Very few get broadcast whole and NHK is not bold about putting their name on things the way BBC is, so even when NHK does get something through the gauntlet (Discovery Networks, PBS, A&E, History, etc) and on the air, the audience never realizes NHK made it.

Of course they are hardly alone. Even dreadnoughts like Horizon suffer the same sort treatment in the US market. It is just so easy to take content to an edit bay, gut the music and graphics and narration and redo all of it for whichever regime is in charge this week at Discovery networks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1