• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Haripota Hogwarts Cram School

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Toto came out before Gurren Lagann was even conceived.
Osada Yuuko's been drawing in that art style for years now without ever quite managing a big hit; I genuinely like Toto, which is a fun adventure book, but I'd agree Osada isn't as confident a writer with long form as he is with short stories. Toto is deliberately designed to be episodic and keep the story a bit more managable.
Frankly, for his amazing art alone, the series deserves a full letter grade higher than the other titles reviewed this month...
malik_chan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Personally, I roll with the "Bleach is an album by Nirvana" theory, since I like to imagine Kubo-sensei being a badass rocker dude who picks names just because he likes 'em. Wink

Plus I swear I saw that reasoning in an interview somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

Well, I did hear that Tite Kubo said Ichigo likes Mike Ness from Social Distortion, so your imagination could be very close to how Kubo is in real life! Anime hyper
Treetastic

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Personally, I roll with the "Bleach is an album by Nirvana" theory, since I like to imagine Kubo-sensei being a badass rocker dude who picks names just because he likes 'em. Wink

Plus I swear I saw that reasoning in an interview somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

Well, I did hear that Tite Kubo said Ichigo likes Mike Ness from Social Distortion, so your imagination could be very close to how Kubo is in real life! Anime hyper

Not to mention that there are (favourite?) albums listed in all of the character bios.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Actually Toto is 5 volumes, not 2. There was a version that came out and got cancelled after two volumes...and I believe the series was restarted somewhere else for 5 volumes. Toto is 2 volumes, but Del Rey releases Toto! The Wonderful Adventure which is 5
I've been wanting to read this for a really long time (along with Tribal 12, the mangaka's more recent manga, which plays off of Peter Pan)), so I'm glad it came out here. The first volume so far is pretty fun. The artwork is very lively. There are some panels that just look like they're actually in motion. From what I've seen, it's more enjoyable than Fairy Tail. I'm excited to see what they do with lion and the tin man. Ohh, and the witch. I think the Wizard of Oz aspect also increases the enjoyment level.

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Toto came out before Gurren Lagann was even conceived.
Osada Yuuko's been drawing in that art style for years now without ever quite managing a big hit; I genuinely like Toto, which is a fun adventure book, but I'd agree Osada isn't as confident a writer with long form as he is with short stories. Toto is deliberately designed to be episodic and keep the story a bit more managable.
Frankly, for his amazing art alone, the series deserves a full letter grade higher than the other titles reviewed this month...

It sounds like you might have read this before. If you have, how is the ending? Or more specifically, since it's only 5 volumes, is it a forced ending (because of cancellation) or was it meant to be a short series from the beginning, or at least have a satisfying ending.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I've been wanting to read this for a really long time (along with Tribal 12, the mangaka's more recent manga, which plays off of Peter Pan))

Tribal 12 is actually a third version of Toto, believe it or not; but recalibrated as a Fullmetal Alchemist influenced team battle book. The scrappy kid with the arms that turn into dogs is still there, but he's been partnered up with a variant on the main character in an amazing short story Osada did (that's actually included in the second volume of the first Toto.)

Quote:
It sounds like you might have read this before. If you have, how is the ending? Or more specifically, since it's only 5 volumes, is it a forced ending (because of cancellation) or was it meant to be a short series from the beginning, or at least have a satisfying ending.

It was pretty obviously canceled, I'm afraid. It doesn't end in the middle of a storyline or anything, but the arc plot is largely left up in the air. It wraps stuff up relatively well, considering, but it actually includes a few sketched splash pages of adventures he never got to draw, so it's pretty obvious he wanted to do more.

I'm hoping Tribal 12 proves the third time's the charm; he seems to have learned from his mistakes with Toto, and it feels more commercial. I'm a bit worried that will be taken as more derivative, but I'm definitely a fan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen in Jump, Cowa seems like a more whimsical version of Sandland. I might consider it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2