• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone brings it up, the internet rumor about Mashima drawing like Oda because he's his former assistant is false. Mashima never served as any artist's assistant before getting his own series (which is pretty impressive, actually.)

What I find odd is that in Rave, he had his own style going (though the main heroine still looked a whole lot like One Piece's Nami) but in Fairy Tail his work has evolved to be almost shamelessly Oda-like.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail gets a lot better in a few volumes, can't wait for the anime version.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Fairy Tail gets a lot better in a few volumes, can't wait for the anime version.

It does get better in future volumes although the current story arc in Japan is a bit ho-hum. There hasn't been an anime announcement for this series...yet.
Wyvern wrote:
Before anyone brings it up, the internet rumor about Mashima drawing like Oda because he's his former assistant is false. Mashima never served as any artist's assistant before getting his own series (which is pretty impressive, actually.)

The guys over at Arlong Park beg to differ. They even say it's been proven that Mashima did do work for Oda back in the early days of the One Piece manga.

Now for the review...

While I do understand that Carl Kimlinger does have a right to his opinion on the manga, there is still a couple of points that caused me to raise my eyebrows:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
The fights are trading in coolness rather than tension for now, and Hiro Mashima—a self-proclaimed punk—certainly has an eye for cool poses and slow-motion fight choreography.

I don't know why he has to feel the need to call Mashima a punk, especially a self-proclaimed one. Unless Mashima enjoys the punkish lifestyle, this form of name calling goes a little too far in my opinion and comes off as portraying Carl as a person who has a personal axe to grind against the author.
Quote:
As always Del Rey presents a solid book, with clear art and useful translator's notes. Extras are scant—some explanations by Mashima about various aspects of his world—and there's no next-volume preview, but few will miss them. Sometimes the dialogue makes no sense whatsoever, but it's hard to tell if fault lies with the translation or with Mashima's random writing.

No next volume preview? Other reviewers have stated that Del Rey did put a few pages of the next volume in each individual volume with the original kanji as a preview. Did Del Rey send you a bad copy, Carl?

That said, as someone who has read Fairy Tail, even with the typical Shonen cliches, I still found the manga very fun to read and puts me in the mood for the next chapter. Fairy Tail won't break the mold in terms of Shonen presentation, but it manages to keep me glued and provide a fun, fancy world to oggle at as well as providing a colourful cast of characters that can do different magic. Smile Not to mention that the missions that the guild members do is pretty addictive to see. Smile

The next couple of volumes will help flesh out the guild a bit more. The first volume's purpose basically is to introduce the cast and nothing more. Smile
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
The fights are trading in coolness rather than tension for now, and Hiro Mashima—a self-proclaimed punk—certainly has an eye for cool poses and slow-motion fight choreography.

I don't know why he has to feel the need to call Mashima a punk, especially a self-proclaimed one. Unless Mashima enjoys the punkish lifestyle, this form of name calling goes a little too far in my opinion and comes off as portraying Carl as a person who has a personal axe to grind against the author.

You think calling somebody who spends a lot of time listening to punk rock a punk is "name calling"? Seriously? Rolling Eyes

Speaking as a man who many, many years ago (in my enjoyably misspent youth - God, how I miss the '80s...) had a rather impressive foot-tall neon green mohawk, I beg to differ.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
It's still kind of rude if you ask me.

You know, I had a question running on the forum about dragon related anime/manga. Someone told me something about a dragon in this one.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Westlo wrote:

It does get better in future volumes although the current story arc in Japan is a bit ho-hum. There hasn't been an anime announcement for this series...yet.
Wyvern wrote:

The guys over at Arlong Park beg to differ. They even say it's been proven that Mashima did do work for Oda back in the early days of the One Piece manga.

Mashima's own publisher says otherwise. I couldn't find the post you might be referring to so I'm going to take them at their word, since they would have actually communicated with the guy.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
I'll see if I can search for that post but maybe the guys over at Arlong Park are just being biased...I dunno. Confused
Moomintroll wrote:
You think calling somebody who spends a lot of time listening to punk rock a punk is "name calling"? Seriously? Rolling Eyes

Speaking as a man who many, many years ago (in my enjoyably misspent youth - God, how I miss the '80s...) had a rather impressive foot-tall neon green mohawk, I beg to differ.

It just seemed that from Carl's review, it sounded like to me that he's referring to Mashima as a "punk" in the "screw you delinquent" kind of way. No offense to real punk rockers, of course. Razz
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:

I don't know why he has to feel the need to call Mashima a punk, especially a self-proclaimed one. Unless Mashima enjoys the punkish lifestyle

Well, "self-proclaimed" means that Mashima proclaimed himself to be a punk, so unless Carl just made that part up, I don't see how it's even remotely an insult.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
No next volume preview? Other reviewers have stated that Del Rey did put a few pages of the next volume in each individual volume with the original kanji as a preview. Did Del Rey send you a bad copy, Carl?

I don't have the volume in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the first volume didn't have a "next volume" preview because volumes 1 and 2 shipped to stores on the very same day, so there was no need for one. Vol. 2 had a preview of Vol. 3 from what I can recall...

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
That said, as someone who has read Fairy Tail, even with the typical Shonen cliches, I still found the manga very fun to read and puts me in the mood for the next chapter.

Same here. Since the first two volumes shipped at the same time, I'm kind of surprised Carl didn't review the two together. The first volume is pretty cliched (though that's kind of par for the course for this type of series) but I found by the end of the second volume I was pretty well sold on the premise. As long as it doesn't drag on for eons and eons, I'm excited to see where this series is going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail doesn't exactly break new ground, but it is hella more interesting than a lot of shounen fare (Jump series come to mind) =/
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I find that Fairy Tail is a fun, qick, action packed, and easy to read. It's great if you don't want a deep or complicated story. Not something to buy but pick up at the library.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1