• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Producer Suzuki Hints at U.S. Ponyo Screening Plans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, duh! I imagine Disney has the distribution rights to, it, too. I'm just waiting for Gedo Senki, though, in hopes that Disney will slip in "Only Yesterday" for their next Ghibli wave dvd.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu May 29, 2008 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope that Ponyo comes to the U.S. the same time as it gets released in Japan, so it can get money from the people who watch it; because I guarantee that in the first week if not first day that movie is going to be fansubbed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Outside of home video, Ghibli movies don't yet make as much money as Hollywood animated movies, so don't expect a simultaneous release any time soon.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Sure hope so, would be nice to see something from Ghibli again here in the US. We won't be getting Gedo Senki anytime soon unless Sci-Fi stops being anal and releases their grip on the Earthsea rights for the US, which I don't see happening. At least their control of those rights expire next year, so the license coming to the US isn't too incredibly far away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Is this title considered another interpretation of "The Little Mermaid"?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, duh!

I second that "duh!". I can't see why this wouldn't get a theatrical release in the US - it'll certainly be playing on the other side of the Atlantic.

Quote:
in hopes that Disney will slip in "Only Yesterday" for their next Ghibli wave dvd.

I was under the impression that Disney decided not to release Only Yesterday on the basis that it contains references to *gasp* menstruation. Shocking, I know - imagine how that might damage young minds. Rolling Eyes

No need to miss out though (presuming you're sure you won't be traumatised by talk of periods, of course) - there's a UK release available from Optimum and the Japanese release also has English subs. You've got the same options for Ocean Waves too, since Disney seems to have passed on that one as well.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I second that "duh!". I can't see why this wouldn't get a theatrical release in the US - it'll certainly be playing on the other side of the Atlantic.

I think that the animation style would instantly kill it off in the theaters if it resembles those pics that we see.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Moomin: Well, they released Pom Poko, in spite of tanuki testicles, so I doubt that's the reason.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that it'll have an early screening at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood (it's like, across the street from the famous Chinese theater) which is owned by Disney and has had special showings of the Ghibli movies before.

I saw howl's moving castle there in the theater only about 2 months or so after the Japanese release, if I recall... They're probably doing the same thing with this one, maybe accelerated.

P.S. that's a great movie theater if you've ever been. They have a real organ on a stage with a person playing live music before the movie starts, and they have specials shows for kids and stuff.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

You've got the same options for Ocean Waves too, since Disney seems to have passed on that one as well.

I Can Hear the Sea / Ocean Waves was a TV movie, and as such, Disney would've had to negotiate with the TV sponsors in addition to Tokuma. They don't think it's worth the effort.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Moomin: Well, they released Pom Poko, in spite of tanuki testicles, so I doubt that's the reason.

Didn't the Disney dub involve major rewrites to avoid any mention of magical testes?
As far as Only Yesterday is concerned, that's what I read but I don't recall the source (some British film news site or other, I think) so I won't pretend to be 100% sure it's accurate.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Disney aren't nessecerally 'not' going to release Only Yesterday, they just arent sure of how to market it, and I imagine they'd want it to tie in to Earthsea or Ponyo.

Earthsea was also pretty effing bad by the way. Dont see why people are so hung up on it. Perhaps because it's a case of "We're the US, but we didn't get it first! (except for Japan, thats totally okay!)"?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Moomin: They didn't rewrite it. They just used another term which can mean the same thing. But the point is that the content in the film was still there. If Disney is that skittish about menstruation in Only Yesterday, they'll refer to it as "that time of the month" or something. No big deal. I mean they worked on a friggin' educational film about the subject.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Didn't the Disney dub involve major rewrites to avoid any mention of magical testes?

That didn't stop More4 broadcasting the subbed version in the middle of the day, balls and all.
300th post. Sparta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:

That didn't stop More4 broadcasting the subbed version in the middle of the day, balls and all.

Channel 4 and Disney don't exactly share the same corporate vision (and, in any case, the UK Studio Ghibli rights for theatres, DVDs and TV are all owned by Optimum Releasing, not Disney).

Anyway, good for More4 - viewing magical transforming anthropomorthic animal cobblers never did anybody any harm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1