• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So why is Fate/Stay Night called...Fate/Stay Night?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gingy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Here's my theory on the Stay Night portion of the name. Originally Fate/Stay Night was a hentai game and as with most hentai games asking a character to stay [the] night has sexual implications. Even if it's not correct it's a working interpretation and there certainly are a lot of characters that stay the night in this series. Wink

Emerje

Imagine my utter disappointment when I finished watching the entire anime and finally realizing they cut out the erotic portions of the series...I had 3 reasons for getting this series to watch...action, Rider is cool, and hentai....and the anime took out one of the crucial points. Ah well, I still like it...

Heres my own contribution to my own thread...so if I were to summarize all the theories....
1. Fate refers to thespoiler[ Fate of all servants...Saber accepting her fate in her life, the Fate of magicians to battle with each other...]
2. Stay/Night- An attempt by Type Moon to sound cool...which also explains why the company called itself Type Moon...or it could refer to how spoiler[servants are only allowed to fight during the night], or it could refer to the hentai parts of the game...
3. FLCL have something to do with the sexual implications in the anime...FLCL.

So far I guess the most convincing explanation of the weird name is Fate referring to the fate of servants and masters, and Stay/Night as in Emerje's hentai theory...and with that, it nicely sums up the entire non-H Anime/Eroge visual novel.
Any objections?
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:
So far I guess the most convincing explanation of the weird name is Fate referring to the fate of servants and masters, and Stay/Night as in Emerje's hentai theory...and with that, it nicely sums up the entire non-H Anime/Eroge visual novel.
Any objections?

LOL. Whoever came up with the name title, I wish I could have whatever it was they were drinking.

Fate/Stay Night sounds neither cool nor mean anything relevant to which the title it attach to the series. Fate didn't bear any real link to the plot, and although some of the female characters moved in with Shirou, none of them "stayed the night" with him.

They may have done it in the game that this show was based on. But not in the animated tv series. If we don't see the characters do their stuff does that really count?
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard the title I thought that it would be about vampires. Which makes some sense. "Fate" could be linked to being an immortal in a broad sense of the word and "Stay Night" could have something to do with vampires wanting some sort of everlasting night. Too much Vampire The Masquerade does this to one, I guess. Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think it kind of makes sense if "Stay" is read in a less common sense. See definitions 6, 8-12. If you read it that way, I think the title makes sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2