• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - May 31st - June 6th

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Actually, YTV went ahead of Cartoon Network, in terms of Zatch Bell!. Episode 78 aired in July, and Season 4 began in mid-September last year. Four episodes were aired before the series went on a hiatus for reasons unknown.

Episode 83 just aired yesterday, so it's actually Episode 84 that will be airing next week.
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Sci Fi skipped ani-monday last week, so they're showing episodes 8 and 9 of Tokko this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Toonami Jetstream is almost at the point in Zatch Bell where it stopped airing on TV, so hopefully that means we'll be getting a few new eps. Although judging by director Jeff Nimoy's reaction towards the series during an ACen panel, it seems that Viz abandoned that series without finishing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Toonami Jetstream is almost at the point in Zatch Bell where it stopped airing on TV, so hopefully that means we'll be getting a few new eps. Although judging by director Jeff Nimoy's reaction towards the series during an ACen panel, it seems that Viz abandoned that series without finishing it.

With no USA broadcast and the DVD release being (assumingly) halted/cancelled as a result of this, I'm suspecting that YTV only has up to Episode 104.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
Lelouch's Zero mask is stolen by a cat

Really? You're not pulling our legs, are you? Sometimes I just can't tell in this column. Very Happy Well, I hope it's true because that show could sure use a good dose of cat.

You get super-duper-uper-happy points for using "parlor games" in your description of BLEACH. I have no idea what those points are good for, but they're yours since reading "parlor games" filled me with delight.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Really? You're not pulling our legs, are you? Sometimes I just can't tell in this column. Very Happy Well, I hope it's true because that show could sure use a good dose of cat.

He's serious alright. This is the "funny episode" of Code Geass. Razz It's airing now at Adult Swim's website if you want an early viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Actually, YTV went ahead of Cartoon Network, in terms of Zatch Bell!. Episode 78 aired in July, and Season 4 began in mid-September last year. Four episodes were aired before the series went on a hiatus for reasons unknown.

Episode 83 just aired yesterday, so it's actually Episode 84 that will be airing next week.

So why, oh why, did CN cancel it? It was a great show! I loved its weirdness. It was the only "weird" show I could stand, next to Serial Experiments Lain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Double post on Code Geass or forgot to delete the real preview used to write "t-h-a funny" (/stupid auto-correct) before submitting his article?

Quote:
and we know from Akira and Evangelion and the other three anime films Washington Post writers were exposed to in the mid-90's and therefore represent the entirety of the genre, that this is a common theme in anime.

As a local ... more explanation please.

Quote:
A new Pokémon special, kids!

'New' here being contextual to the movies and features section, and bearing the meaning of "shown fewer times than The Click."
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:

So why, oh why, did CN cancel it? It was a great show! I loved its weirdness. It was the only "weird" show I could stand, next to Serial Experiments Lain.

Probably due to a lack of good ratings. That's usually (if not always) the reason.

Sad, I know. I highly doubt that more episodes of Zatch Bell will be dubbed just for Canada, so Zatch Bell seems doomed, unless otherwise proven.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Quote:
and we know from Akira and Evangelion and the other three anime films Washington Post writers were exposed to in the mid-90's and therefore represent the entirety of the genre, that this is a common theme in anime.

As a local ... more explanation please.

If you go to the IMDB page for any "big" anime feature that was released in the 90's (Akira, Fist of the North Star, even Urotsukidoji) you'll find, for some reason, reviews by the Washington Post. Very strange and snarky reviews that are about what you'd expect a western journalist unfamiliar with anime would write after seeing something horrifying like Urotsukidoji, that I nevertheless blame for anime's thenceforth reputation for being full of superviolence and rape.

The fact that you'll STILL hear NPR commentators make tentacle rape jokes is proof of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Silver Peas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Code Geass' treacly screed against intolerance and imperialism reaches dizzying new heights this week, as Suzaku's entrance at an all-Britannian school causes no small amount of hatred amongst the filthy Judeo-Christian, Anglo-Saxon schoolmates.

I admit that this made me smile.

Quote:
The fact that you'll STILL hear NPR commentators make tentacle rape jokes is proof of this.

Seriously?
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Why not just watch Shin-chan episodes on AdultSwim.com first on Friday so that the description isn't always a guessing game?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Silver Peas wrote:
Quote:

Seriously?

I am trying to imagine hearing tentacle rape joke from such a stoic organization (in between the weekly donation drives) .... Nope, and yet somehow still a funny concept.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This week on Cartoon Network or Toonami if they haven't completely shot that brand of theirs in the back of the head yet: Naruto...

Yada, yada, yada. Toonami isn't dead yet, but it's been in a brain-dead coma since October 2007 when they reduced it to 2 hours. It occasionally shows signs of life, but it hasn't woken up yet... if it will. Fans hope it revives & takes over the new "fantasy/adventure" block Cartoon Network has planned for Fridays this fall, but still nothing definite one way or another.

Of course, if something else appears on Fridays, either CN finally pulls the plug or leaves it on life-support...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Witchblade
(IFC)
Friday June 6 11:30pm - Episode 23 "Chaos" (Repeats Sat June 7 2:30am)

Big scary malfunctioning weapons are ready to descend upon Tokyo...

Also, jokes about tentacles and seizures and robots.

Title fixed; check with ANN's Encyclopedia guy how he got "Tender Grave" out of "Disturbance". BTW, I have to watch this again; if there were tentacles, seizures and/or robots, none of it was funny. Yes, I know sarcasm when I hear it...

Beware; I may write a snarky synopsis myself that actually relates to the episode... someday...
Edited: Someday is now...

Witchblade
(IFC)
Friday June 6 11:30pm - Episode 23 "Chaos" (Repeats Sat June 7 2:30am)

Big scary malfunctioning weapons are ready to descend upon Tokyo, while Masane arrives home from partying hardy. After eating Rihoko's cooking (Worst.Meal.EVER!), she goes Witchblade-crazy again to relieve the indigestion. Let's blow some $#!+ up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1