• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Restructure

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proz512

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
/Economy is falling
Re-Elu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Will this have any effect on the series currently being published by Tokyopop?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
I just hope they dont cut any manga but it look like it going to take longer for manga to come out
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Stuart Levy wrote:
"Fewer releases will allow for less cannibalization at retail."

Exactly. And quite well-put if I might add. I wonder if the majority of the cuts will come from manga, manhwa, or amerimanga.

Either way, during its boom, the manga market was flooded with a lot of crap. I'm all for a few less releases at higher quality. It really does help when impulse buying.

Sorry to hear about the 39 jobs though.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
*waits for posts of "the sky is falling"*

It shouldn't be a surprise that any manga company has to scale back after unprecedented growth of the past few years. You cannot be expected to continually maintain those sharp upward angles on the sales charts.

Cutting back the number of titles that are or will be released could be interesting or unfortunate. The better selling mangas will probably survive the ax, whereas some of the others, regardless of how well-made they are, will not.

I feel bad for the people who work there though, any cutbacks at such companies are not good. The people from Tokyopop I had met at the San Diego Comic Con were always friendly and fun to talk to.

Good luck folks....
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Re-Elu wrote:
Will this have any effect on the series currently being published by Tokyopop?

My conclusion is that they're either going to slow some of them down, or outright cancel them. Looking at the number of ongoing titles they publish, it would be pretty hard for them reach the targets they've set (a 50% reduction) without affecting ongoing titles.

-t
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Either way, during its boom, the manga market was flooded with a lot of crap. I'm all for a few less releases at higher quality. It really does help when impulse buying.

I agree with what you have to say about less releases but more quality. If less stuff is being brought out into the market there is less of a chance that lower quality manga will be pushed out it and more higher end quality will be available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I agree with what you have to say about less releases but more quality. If less stuff is being brought out into the market there is less of a chance that lower quality manga will be pushed out it and more higher end quality will be available.

I agree and disagree with this at the same time. In addition to the strong performers, two types of titles manage to sneak through when a company publishes too many titles. 1) All the crap. 2) All the really good stuff that just doesn't sell very well.

While I'm all for less of #1, sadly this will also result in less of #2.

Remember kids, sales don't equate to quality, and Tokyopop will be looking at sales numbers, not critical reviews. Of course, this is the only smart thing for them to do, publishing great product that doesn't sell isn't the road to profit.

-t
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm just a layman, but could someone explain the "Fewer releases will allow for less cannibalization at retail." part? Also, if they cancel titles, do you think it will lead to it being licensed by other publishers, or will Tokyopop just sit on them? I'm wondering how they decide which titles will be cut. Like, I've been thinking of getting Sgt Frog series from them, but now I'm a bit weary to start buying a series that may be discontinued. But then if enough people react that way, a series will have weak sales and be discontinued; ergo a self-fulfilling prophecy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Haven't really be interested in that company's line-up in years, to tell the truth. They overdid it on the World manga.
Kyokat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'd venture a guess that rather than canceling a bunch of series Tokyopop's just not going to be starting a lot of new ones as their current series wrap up. Or at least, I hope that's what they intend.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
"Progressive reorganization", huh? Aptly put.

At the moment, I'm fearing for further releases of Welcome to the NHK and Suppli.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
It took them this long to realize they've been destroying their own profits?
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
I'm just a layman, but could someone explain the "Fewer releases will allow for less cannibalization at retail." part?

What he's saying is that at this point they're publishing so many titles that people buying one of their titles is simply preventing them from buying another title. In other words, some people are being forced to take their $10 and choose between 2 Tokyopop titles. If they only published one of those titles, they'd still get the $10 at half the cost.

Obviously it's more complicated than that practically speaking since Tokyopop isn't the only manga publisher, but that's the basic idea.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Sorry to hear about the 39 jobs though.

I wonder how big the percentage of this layoff is. 39 out of a company of 50 and 39 out of a company of 500 are completely different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8