• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Slam Dunk Episode Streamed with English Subs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it means anything. They're probably just testing the waters to see if enough users bite to sell more of it on dvd. (See Eyeshield.) Plus I think most American gamers are only into anything sports-related with Madden in it. Rolling Eyes

Looks like the lyrics are not subbed, making me suspect Viz has an eye for it; but then Toei does suck more, so...
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, maybe IGN and Toei struck up a deal.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
IGN will probably upload anything which gets them hits, so I doubt there's anything exclusive going on with Toei.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
IGN will probably upload anything which gets them hits, so I doubt there's anything exclusive going on with Toei.

Well, considering how Toei is with it's properties?
yeeah, something must've happened to allow IGN to stream it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Doubt it means anything. They're probably just testing the waters to see if enough users bite to sell more of it on dvd. (See Eyeshield.) Plus I think most American gamers are only into anything sports-related with Madden in it. Rolling Eyes

Well, Madden is certainly the biggest (for many obvious reasons), but no - baseball, ice hockey, and even soccer videogames are quite popular too. Basketball, not as much, probably because there's less a gamer can "influence" in that game compared to what they can do in the other sports videogames.

Anyways, American gamers are more into sports than otaku are, so they're probably hoping Slam Dunk may gain interest. Yet, Slam Dunk is really more about Japanese HS life than basketball itself, so I don't know if American gamers are ready for that. Laughing
Captain-Bravo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Meh I could care less about it being on IGN I just wish someone would finishing releasing the DVDs so that way I'm not stuck with any imports or bootlegs. Smile
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, its been YEARS since I watched Slam Dunk... I remember being partway thru the series when someone said it was licensed. Now they are finally getting around to releasing it - WAY too long a time... I lost interest a LONG time ago...
Jetto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, Madden is certainly the biggest (for many obvious reasons), but no - baseball, ice hockey, and even soccer videogames are quite popular too. Basketball, not as much, probably because there's less a gamer can "influence" in that game compared to what they can do in the other sports videogames.

Wow...have you ever played (video game or otherwise) or even WATCHED basketball?

I won't preach the merits of basketball games to you (that's another story for another day) but i will say that if you think hockey and baseball games are more popular, I want some of whatever you are smoking...

I've never seen slam dunk before, so I'll check the stream out I guess...
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Interesting, they kept the honorifics in the subtitles.

I wonder if they used a new translation or redid the one from the (awful) DVDs.

Also it looks like it might have been subtitled with textsub Smile

-Tofu
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Wow...have you ever played (video game or otherwise) or even WATCHED basketball?

All of the above. My favorite sport; used to play in school; just play weekly pickup games with workmates nowadays; and still trying to get Celtics finals tickets. Heck, we used to score in the several hundreds playing basketball videogames once mastered the timing of releasing the ball at the top of the jumpshot. Laughing

Jetto wrote:

I won't preach the merits of basketball games to you (that's another story for another day) but i will say that if you think hockey and baseball games are more popular, I want some of whatever you are smoking...

Maybe in your particular area, but sadly basketball videogames don't get as much buzz (save for the elaborate dunks), like say in trade publications and forums, compared to the other sports videogames (which BTW I also play, videogame or otherwise). I think people would rather play the real thing since that's a lot easier to do than other sports (just need a few players and equipment).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Inoue mentioned the story on his site, since I didn't recall him doing so when it was on DVD. He must really want the series to succeed here. But he seems more excited about the Lakers right now. Laughing
billyarnie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting thread here... my 2 favorite sports are NFL Football (Go Dallas Cowboys!) & NBA Basketball [GO SPURS GO... oh, the Lakers beat the San Antonio Spurs? Anime cry]. So that's why I was interested in the Eyeshield 21 anime dub when it was shown on Toonami Jetstream around NFL Playoffs in January. 5 eps & #1 was a semi-rehash of #2? Ripoff! I watched the SlamDunk sub & I want to see more. Yeah, it's a slice-of-life show as well as a sports show, but it could still work in the U.S. So Razer cancelled it, even with the hoser dub?! It's interesting that Toei made this in 1993 & is just now subbing it... So if you wanted a U.S. dub for Cartoon Network's Toonami Jetstream or even Toonami, who would you look for?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
billy: They subbed it before, but it sucked. Now it only looks amateur instead of Chinese bootleg.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone who's seen the newer version able to comment on the accuracy of the subs? I know they took some major liberties with it when it was being released to dvd.

From what I gather, it's DRM'd, so I'm passing. I do hear that a lot more is going up on the service, though. I suspect we'll see a number of titles from the poll they did last year, provided they don't drop the project halfway through. Toei has issues with that.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Not only is it DRM'd but it's RegionBockClocked as well.

I meen, geez, Gonzo may suck but I can actauly see thier nonsence online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2