• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-06]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
By "that guy," do you mean the one that smells very badly, the one that talks over and over about how great the old shows or that long series is compared to everything else, the one that talks about hentai and tries to show everyone, the one that hits on all the female members, the one that sits by himself and doesn't say anything but looks like he's about to snap any minute, or all the above? Or that emo kid listening to Linkin Park?

Also, cute bunnies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The irony being that the reason a lot of people state as their reason for not buying legal DVDs is "horrible dubs with the same few voice actors", and yet because they don't buy them, it gets worse. I swear, if I hear one more dub where half the cast is Crispin Freeman, I'm going to sob fitfully.

I think I've seen "that guy" and BEEN "that guy". "That guy" I saw was the guy who never showers and sits in the front row at anime viewings with his enormous head in the way, yelling at you if you make the slightest noise during the watching. "The guy" I was is the guy who starts a wave of smartass comments with others during obviously poor anime and is admonished by said fathead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes I definitely have met 'that guy' at an anime store once. He did alot of talking to himself, and pulled things off the shelf and asked if I'd seen them to which i politely replied 'yes.' He then asked one of the ladies who worked at this chinese run mostly bootleg merch store if she liked anime to which she replied 'no'. And I sniggered.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever encourtered that guy?

yes Confused

I met him in a store called Masqurade Games. It features table top playing games, and sells anime in the back. Anyway, I was looking at a naruto boxset, and he corrected me in my pronoucation of Naruto. He then informed me that I should watch torrents. All while his zipper was down, his dirty underwear showed, and his sweaty body smelling of salt and dirt rolled into my nasel passages.

I stared at him as he slobbed on himself, and then gave me a Japanese lesson inthe store. Which, he had btw taught himself. I got through the conversation with him just fine, all the way up until we disagreed over a kanji meaning.

He then got dramatical.

Shouting at me at my being a female, and that I reminded him of a cross between Royoko and Nadia. he also went on to say that he was surprised to see a female looking into Naruto, and why was I not reading Shojo. At that point I felt offended. I was ready to give him hell, when a pack of Magic cards caught his eye and he fawned over them like they were his first born.

The owner told me to ignore the guy, he visits the store everyday and livesin his parents basement. No joke.

I've also met, the girl.

I've mentioned her a few times, but my latest encouter with her occured a few weeks ago. She is known to read piles of manga in the store. I was trying to look for a book, when I saw her take out the infamous razor she carries. She sliced the plastic off off a book, but made a very deep gouge in the back cover.
She put the book back and took another copy.

I went to tell the cloest store employee, but they did nothing but remvoe the book. They didn't mess with the girl at all. Why? I can't figure it out for anything in the world.

Argh. Why do I meet the nuts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I flinched a little when you mentioned "razor;" good thing it wasn't what I expected.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
brittanicamoore wrote:
He then informed me that I should watch torrents.
I've tried to do that, but it's pretty boring. Although in torrents' defense, they start out slow, but they do speed up and get better later. Usually there will be a complete ending, but sometimes they leave you hanging forever with no hope of finishing.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
brittanicamoore wrote:
I've tried to do that, but it's pretty boring. Although in torrents' defense, they start out slow, but they do speed up and get better later. Usually there will be a complete ending, but sometimes they leave you hanging forever with no hope of finishing.

Wow, torrenting and Naruto are linked together after all.

/Thank you, try the veal.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Have you ever encourtered that guy?

I was trying to look for a book, when I saw her take out the infamous razor she carries. She sliced the plastic off off a book, but made a very deep gouge in the back cover.

!!! Couldn't they throw her out for taking out a weapon? Wow...that is nuts. I wonder why she would just randomly ruin a book like that. I can't believe they didn't throw her out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
There is plenty of them in my club. They are round big guys who definetly don't work out, play games, and watch lots of anime while at the same being VERY knowledgeable in their favorite anime series. In this case, Gundam.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
brittanicamoore wrote:

Exactly. It took me 24+ hours to get one show, and I feel it just isn't worth it.

I have to wonder what you thought the razor meant prime_pm?

dizzywulf- I know. She has that razor/box cutter thing everytime I see her in the store. And They never do anything to her. Not even as her to leave. I have to wonder if she's the mangers daughter or something....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Disclaimer: Note that I am fairly drunk while I am typing this, so take my comments with a grain of salt. (No, don't ask how my spelling and grammar are relatively correct)

Being a former/outgoing president for my university's anime club, not only have I had the "pleasure" of meeting "that guy", but during the school year I also was "delighted" with having to deal with "those guys/girls" in general. Let's start off with Clubs Week, the time of the year that my school's organizations and clubs do most of our recruitment, shall we?

During most of my school's Clubs Week, I had a tendency to man my club's booth most of the time (partially due to the fact that I had the most accommodating schedule of my exec and that I tended to skip a fair amount of my classes for first semester). This led to some rather chance encounters with many prospective members who would fit the mold of our current subjects. To recount many of the characters I met during the week, I signed up members who watch (direct quote) "8 hours of anime a day. My dad doesn't really like what I do, but I do it anyways," stereotypical yaoi fangirls, members who would not say a single word as we signed them up, member who would not shut up ever (even for not anime related topics), and members who simply would try to prove they were as "otaku" as possible and would do anything to prove this, anything...

Two members in particular stand out in my mind though: the "Haruhi fanboy" and the "I run a podcast so I'll just record everything you say" member.

Let's just say that the former member is the type that just adores Haruhi Suzumiya in an incredibly uncomfortably way, even turning his head in an alert guard dog kind of way when any of us mentions the name Haruhi in any other kind of context (ie. Ouran).

The latter actually irked me even more, though that could due to general paranoia from yours truly. This member actually was studying to become a reporter, but he/she didn't seem to grasp of the idea of private conversation, so he/she had a tendency to record everything I said during the year that had anything to do with my club's operations or how I ran the club. Of course, I noticed this off the bat, so I was able to either use non-committal or "fair enough" answers to most of his/her questions. Don't even ask me about his/her podcast, I (unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) don't bother with my members' former affairs...

(Edited for drunken spelling and grammar, doh)

Last edited by EngrishFan on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
I am that guy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
It is sad that we keep hearing the same voices because there is less work, although part of it in my case is just being better at recognizing voices than I used to be. And I have to agree with Penguintruth that it's a vicious cycle where some people complain about hearing the same voice actors all the time and don't buy as a result, and then said actions lead to less work and less variety. Although I've learned to live with it and I like to play the game of guessing the casting. Sadly though, I seem to be getting better at it. Embarassed
ilkz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
MADBULL34. that's the one on the garbage list:
animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2008-02-20
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
sadly I know "That Guy" very well

he's a hopeless Naruto fan who doesn't believe in good dubs and pledges his soul to bittorrent .

thankfully I (and "That other guy" description later) am working on reforming him, progress is good, so far he's admitted that awesome dubs do exist (thanks to Death Note) but hasn't bought a DVD yet and still gives Naruto WAY too much credit.

That 'Other' Guy - he's pretty cool; a pirate. bastard king but has a good grasp on how the industry is doing and buys certain Manga and DVDs legally, first taught me about fansubs (so I could watch unlicensed stuff like ZZ gundam)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5