• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 17 Hit or Stabbed, 7 Confirmed Dead in Tokyo's Akihabara

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
At first I misread the headline and thought the number stabbed was the number confirmed dead. At least it wasn't that bad, though 2 dead (so far) is hardly a good thing.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
sounds like some nasty business

any word on motive (or suspected motive)?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
I doubt we'll hear anything about that soon, sounds like it just occured a little bit ago. When more details come up, I imagine the article will be updated.
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the guy just snaped seeing as it looks like he just stabbed anyone close to him.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Develop into another Tsutomu Miyazaki hysteria?
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Develop into another Tsutomu Miyazaki hysteria?

Hate for otaku because of that psychopath is not unknown in Japan, but no one has gone as far as this guy did.

I pray for the victims of this heinous and clearly intentional crime and their families.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
According to the latest, it's now 3 dead, a 19, 47, and 74 year male, with 2 more in cardiac arrest and a total of 17 wounded.

It says the truck driver ran off onto the JR marunouchi train line but was arrested... And it seems the 2-ton truck was a rental, which would lead me to believe this was planned for some reason.
Whether it's an anti-otaku hate crime (doubtful) or simply the man choosing a very busy section of town to go on a rampage (more likely), I hope the japanese justice system of "never hearing from the guy again" works.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
In spite of it all, the Japanese are probably still glad that the psycho isn't packed like he would be here....
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
In spite of it all, the Japanese are probably still glad that none of those psychos were packed like they would be here....

Damn straight. With the crowds in Akihabara on a Sunday and a gun of any sort, your kills would be limited only by the number of bullets you could carry.
I live in Tokyo and goddamit if people start being able to obtain guns readily here that'd be BAAAAD.

In my opinion Japanese people are even more likely to go "postal" in the classic sense than americans (due to the stress of their working lifestyle), it's just that when they do, they rarely harm anyone but themselves. With the semi weekly suicides on the train tracks, I could only imagine the havoc if those suicides turned into platform shootings.
Although it seems in this case the guy wasn't planning this as a suicide, as he ran away (although perhaps he just got cold feet). Perhaps he really just completely went insane.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
BBC is saying that the guy is yakuza. I'm not sure what, if anything, they are implying with that information though. This seems to be more a case of someone snapping and going nuts than some kind of organized crime thing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
this is messed up
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
I hate hearing about death in the first place, so my condolences go out first for the victims in this tragedy. next come speculation into the motives and hopefully there will be no more deaths.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping to get an update on this pretty soon as I'm always happy to hear about murderers receiving a good dose of justice and reality. I am a little confused though, was the guy arrested before the right one?
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
Oh my god that's horrible and nearly made me cry. It's SO sick.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
BBC is saying that the guy is yakuza. I'm not sure what, if anything, they are implying with that information though. This seems to be more a case of someone snapping and going nuts than some kind of organized crime thing.

Maybe he lost the annual yakuza ballroom drawing or something. Sometimes people just go nuts. There's no reason, no motive, no specific target. They just simply lose whatever little sense they had and prove once again why the gene pool could use some chlorine in it. And yes, if that had happened here it would have been a gun and not a knife more then likely, and the numbers of dead/wounded would be reversed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9