• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Offers English-Subbed Slam Dunk, North Star

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
If the choosing of those two series has to do with the results of this survey, I hope to see subtitled Digimon very soon as well.

Last edited by Nebs on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I think that companies who are experimenting with digital downloads are just plain sensible, but I have to admit that I don't want a series unless I can buy it and own it on a DVD. (God help me when Blu-rays become the standard - I'll be the "Beta-queen of Anime").
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Bah, $1.99 per ep, and requires Windows - that sucks....

They need to put it out on a DVD
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Bah, $1.99 per ep, and requires Windows - that sucks....

They need to put it out on a DVD

Agreed as long as they keep with the windows's lock i know i won't be getting it as i hop between Windows, Linux, and at times flirt with Mac.

Companies across the board need to realize that Windows isn't the Gold Standard any more.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
iTunes should always be the player of choice. Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Coming soon:

Captain Harlock,
Galaxy Express 999,
Digimon,
Airmaster,
Pretty Cure

according to a bit of website "research":
http://www.wtwnews.net/exclusive-news/421/DIGIMON_ON_DEMAND_downloadable_episodes/
kamidai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
i'd be all over that were I not on a Mac. So as it is, I can just go BAAWWWW since I'm not getting a Windows machine just for animus anytime soon.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
And the great Brittish Anime BockClock continutes.

Toei fail at life.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Region locking this = fail.

They still can't get it right can they.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

I'm not so sure this is Toei's choice directly. Direct2Drive states themselves that they can only do TV and movies in the US (and Canada, I guess). It's possible direct2drive can't offer things outside of those countries because of their deal with credit cards and/or billing concerns or something.
So Toei may still offer the shows in some other way on a more global method, maybe like bost or youtube... But frankly I doubt it.

Toei, after all, has a a seperate European branch in paris that coves the UK and europe. This on demand service is on Toei Animation Inc.'s site which is specifically their north american branch.

So it's probably an internal thing at Toei, where Toei animation inc. can only handle things in north america, and Toei animation europe can only handle things in europe/the uk, etc...
One would hope that the european division may be watching to see how the US one does with the downloading, and perhaps would join in if it's a success.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
melonbread wrote:

I'm not so sure this is Toei's choice directly. Direct2Drive states themselves that they can only do TV and movies in the US (and Canada, I guess). It's possible direct2drive can't offer things outside of those countries because of their deal with credit cards and/or billing concerns or something.
So Toei may still offer the shows in some other way on a more global method, maybe like bost or youtube... But frankly I doubt it.

Toei, after all, has a a seperate European branch in paris that coves the UK and europe. This on demand service is on Toei Animation Inc.'s site which is specifically their north american branch.

So it's probably an internal thing at Toei, where Toei animation inc. can only handle things in north america, and Toei animation europe can only handle things in europe/the uk, etc...
One would hope that the european division may be watching to see how the US one does with the downloading, and perhaps would join in if it's a success.

I hope that is true, we'll have to wait and see.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
All I'm going to say is that if Toei, a comapany that has been in this game since the 60's or so can't get thier act together where Gonzo can then all I can point out is that Toei have issues and as a result don't have my money.

And in the end, it's about the all mighty dollar; I has monies, I wants the animes, it's all Toei's fault in this equasion.

Certainly doesn't do certain meens of anime accusition any diservices, I'm sure.
Serge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
All I'm going to say is that if Toei, a comapany that has been in this game since the 60's or so can't get thier act together where Gonzo can then all I can point out is that Toei have issues and as a result don't have my money.

And in the end, it's about the all mighty dollar; I has monies, I wants the animes, it's all Toei's fault in this equasion.

Certainly doesn't do certain meens of anime accusition any diservices, I'm sure.

In the ANNTV show, Toei say they have no Market for titles like Fist of the North Star in the U.S. - It's because It's NEVER been released, and it's so long now and a long series, that people have been waiting decades and no release (Fansubs away!), sucks, I for one will definately but HnK when it comes out in a physical format in the US.

Does anyone know what the subs are like on the Toei DL Versions? subtitled by someone who's first language is Japanese (Hence crappy translation) or OK? what is the quality like, is it worth the Download with all the DRM rubbish? no?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
So how is the sub quality on these downloads? Better than Toei's last attempt on their DVD releases?

I'm disappointed that Kinnikuman isn't on the download radar. Maybe they'll put it up in the future?
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Has anyone used direct to drive before? I'm really interested in getting Slam Dunk but I'm not sure if its worth it (quality, ease of use, etc).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3