• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Inside Toei Animation (Part 2)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the One Piece poster was for Universal Studios Japan. Do they have some sort of ride there?
Drac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I noticed the One Piece poster was for Universal Studios Japan. Do they have some sort of ride there?

They did convert the Water World set into a live action One Piece show during it's 10th Anniversary back in 2007.
Ghiblix2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
That was a pretty informative look into how a Japanese animation studio works -- I must say it seems a lot more humble and quiet than I imagined...

Sounds like a lot of hard work too Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
I think I like this part better than the first, where the behind-the-scene demonstration took too long. It's nice to learn a bit about the industry and the processes behind anime production. These little bits will no doubt be something that, in the future, people will talk about. "Remember those segments on ANN? ANNtv?" Fans would have killed for this type of thing years ago, but it's still great to have now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
It was great to see all of the old analog equipment and cels that were used for animation before it became entirely digital and done on computers. I can only imagine how tedious it must be to work as an animator during those days.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
That was an awesome segment. Thanks, ANN!

I must say though, I found it a little depressing. Although digital animation is so much more efficient I still prefer the look of cel animation. It just looks a lot more like real animation to me. Also, Toei animation, somewhere that was once an animation megahouse, looked so quiet in that video; so it makes me wonder just how much worldload must be shipped out to Korea for every episode.
jco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Kudos to whoever made the decision to cut from the guy talking about making films that are safe for elementary school kids to the woman showing an old film strip from Cutie Honey...ROFL.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
That was an awesome segment. Thanks, ANN!

I must say though, I found it a little depressing. Although digital animation is so much more efficient I still prefer the look of cel animation. It just looks a lot more like real animation to me. Also, Toei animation, somewhere that was once an animation megahouse, looked so quiet in that video; so it makes me wonder just how much worldload must be shipped out to Korea for every episode.

Very little. Toei ships most of their work to their studio in the Philippines. (And some of their CG to their one in France, if I recall). I don't think Toei outsources to Korea at the moment.
JINROH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I loved both parts of this,and I hope to see more done with large and small studios alike in Japan.Keep up the great work !!
san-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Thanks for making these behind the scenes videos anntv (and thanks toei for letting them inside their studio)! I enjoyed watching them both. Will you make more videos like this? Like how the voice acting part works and such? It would be really fun to see I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1