• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Navy Distributes Carrier Manga at Base, Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Care to explain that in proper English? I mean, don't make it harder for us, not born English-speakers. "Yaranaika" didn't appear in my textbook.

Propaganda books use to upset me, but it's a nice idea, though.

"Yaranaika" is a meme (in-joke) based on a gay erotic Japanese comic, "Kuso Miso Technique." The comic is known for it's amusing expressions, and "yaranaika?" is Japanese for "Shall we do it?", something a character said while unzipping his jumpsuit to reveal his penis while sitting on a park bench.

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Image:Yaranaika.jpg (NWS)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
It's amusing that people lined up for this like they'd want to be the first one in their block to own it. Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's amusing that people lined up for this like they'd want to be the first one in their block to own it. Laughing

They probably just neglected to mention that the free manga came with free ice cream or something.
Anyone'll line up for free ice cream, after all.

Actually, that sounds like a good way to boost relations with the locals. Free ice cream. Like, every Tuesday or something.

I should go down there and check out the ship sometime. I've never seen an aircraft carrier in person before, and I bet it's friggin' huge Smile.
Not too sure how close you can get to the actual ship without going on the base, however...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

They probably just neglected to mention that the free manga came with free ice cream or something.
Anyone'll line up for free ice cream, after all.

Actually, that sounds like a good way to boost relations with the locals. Free ice cream. Like, every Tuesday or something.

I should go down there and check out the ship sometime. I've never seen an aircraft carrier in person before, and I bet it's friggin' huge Smile.
Not too sure how close you can get to the actual ship without going on the base, however...

I've been to the base where it will be stationed at before. I've seen the Kitty Hawk up close and that's no small ship.

I know there is a spot outside of the base where you can see where the ships are docked, but I don't remember if you can see all of the ships or just some of them.

The GW is 1092 FT in length, to put it in perspective it's just a little longer than the length of 3 football fields (counting the end zones)

The GW is only about 23 ft longer than the Kitty Hawk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Saw this on Japan probe a few days ago.

Wait, if the manga only started getting distributed online on Monday, how did you see it a few days ago?

EDIT: Looks like that site didn't travel in time. It posted on Monday, too.

Link I saw

I'm assuming you saw this one

enurtsol wrote:

What makes you think many of them wanna own it? Betcha copies are floating around used book shops or being hawked online right now.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Saw this on Japan probe a few days ago.

Wait, if the manga only started getting distributed online on Monday, how did you see it a few days ago?

EDIT: Looks like that site didn't travel in time. It posted on Monday, too.

Link I saw

I'm assuming you saw this one

Earlier link

Even earlier link more than a year ago

What's new Monday is that the actual manga is available. Before, we couldn't "see" it because it wasn't actually here yet.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering when sailors are gonna get public service-themed manga discussing STDs. Laughing

heh. Laughing

Maybe someone should make some?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
kgw wrote:
Care to explain that in proper English? I mean, don't make it harder for us, not born English-speakers. "Yaranaika" didn't appear in my textbook.

Propaganda books use to upset me, but it's a nice idea, though.

"Yaranaika" is a meme (in-joke) based on a gay erotic Japanese comic, "Kuso Miso Technique." The comic is known for it's amusing expressions, and "yaranaika?" is Japanese for "Shall we do it?", something a character said while unzipping his jumpsuit to reveal his penis while sitting on a park bench.

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Image:Yaranaika.jpg (NWS)

Shocked Shocked Good God that was....really discusting.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
finalnight wrote:
stevek504 wrote:
Quote:
It is one of the companies in the recent controversy over revisions to Japanese history textbooks.

What happened? Since it was mentioned here, I assume that it was US / Japanese history that was revised.

Nope, the revisions were related to the atrocities that the Japanese committed in China in WWII. Which btw, for the anti-american trolls posting earlier, makes what some US military personnel have done in Okinawa look like a parking ticket.

After WWII, Japan got away with a lot of atrocities committed in the war. All those horrible things done in China and rest of the far east weren't discovered until recently. Like Rape of Nanking, Comfort women of Korea, and biological warfare experiment on political prisoners, and so on. Most of those things were done outside of Japan, so Allies didn't find out about them like holocaust camps in Germany. Japanese politicians are not willing to make some kind of amend for such thing. That is why neighboring Asian countries still harbor resentment toward Japan.
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Japan is getting the CVN whether the people want it there or not. At least they're trying to be nice about it.

Not that there's anything really being nice about sending military ships there in the first place.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering when sailors are gonna get public service-themed manga discussing STDs. Laughing

heh. Laughing

Maybe someone should make some?

I would have figured Will Eisner already did. Smile
bossyman15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
huh the images in PDF are not good quaily
this sucks Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2