• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Anime Album in 11 Years to Rank in Japan's Top 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluegreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
And there isnt a more deserving album. its a great OST
mirax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
I completely agree. Yoko Kanno never disappoints, and this is a great soundtrack. I'm happy it's getting such well-deserved recognition.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but that opening theme... I can't get away from it! Every time I walk into a store with a radio, I hear that song. I went bowling, and over the course of dinner and two games, I heard it three times.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
"Popular composer Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Macross Plus) worked on all 24 tracks on the Macross Frontier album."

Love how this is worded. Worked on, istead of composed. Can't wait to hear who he "borrowed" from this time. And no, she doesn't dissapoint because she has good taste. I just wish she was, you know, more honest.
W-General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Macross Frontier is an amazing series, and this album is an amazing piece of musical work. Congratulations. Very happy to see a long series with a proud history as Macross back in the spotlight after taking backseat to Gundam for the most part of the past 10 years (I love Gundam too of course).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Wow, this still do this? I thought this practice ended in the 90's.

I figured since Japan is more technolgyly advanced than most states, cds would be a item of a past and downloading into a Ipod would replace this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I figured since Japan is more technolgyly advanced than most states, cds would be a item of a past and downloading into a Ipod would replace this.
One would think that until one finds out that they have only just taken on the DVD from VHS when the rest of the developed world left VHS back in 2001. I believe the cost of new tech in Japan keeps people tied to their old formats for longer.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Sheryl Nome = Lynn Minmay for the new generation.

Kanno has done an excellent job overall with Macross F's soundtrack, and this is great news. This just proves that Macross still has a dedicated fanbase in Japan. Hopefully, this means more Macross animation in the near future. Once Macross F is completed, it would be cool to see it hit the big screen in movie form (a la Macross DYRL).
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Digital Distribution isn't as popular as everyone thinks it is... unless of course you're talking about piracy and illegal downloading. This is even more particularly so for otaku or collectors who'd prefer having the CD with the artwork and everything... But all in all if people are going to spend money on things the overwhelming majority would prefer something physical to show for it.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Digital Distribution isn't as popular as everyone thinks it is... unless of course you're talking about piracy and illegal downloading. This is even more particularly so for otaku or collectors who'd prefer having the CD with the artwork and everything... But all in all if people are going to spend money on things the overwhelming majority would prefer something physical to show for it.

Not to mention that the quality of the audio on a CD is a heck of a lot better. Digital sounds like crap by comparison, although it's much better than it used to be. I will stick by CDs as long as they still print them, personally.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
There's plenty of better anime OSTs but the composers arn't as well known....kinda sad for them

I ended up only liking about 4 songs form thiss, not counting the Ranka and Sheryl songs. Ranka pwns
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see the OST have so much success. I can't wait to pick it up myself at some point, I love Yoko Kanno, and after hearing several songs from the OST I know that I won't be disappointed (if that's even possible with Kanno).
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
While I thought this album was decent, there are far better Kanno soundtracks; to me, nothing of hers has yet surpassed the brilliance of Arjuna: Into the Another World, although the Solid State Society OST came close. I think the main reason that this one is selling so well is that everyone wants all of the insert songs.

I have to admit, though, the Sheryl on stage songs are cool. It's like having your own little private concert. I love 'Private Army' too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
This makes sense. In Japanese media name sells more then anywhere else in the world and when you've got Yoko Kanno and Macross in the title you're bound to reach an audience, especially when it's pretty much the most pop like OST she's ever put out. Personally I think this is one of her more mediocore albums and wish she would go back to working with the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra rather then putting out pop songs almost anyone could produce.

Opening theme is also a crying shame. What the heck happened when you get the people that brought us Yakosoku Wa Iranai and it sounds like the shrieky opening to the eroge title that just came out last week. Rolling Eyes

Really this OST's strength rides on the vocals of Megumi Nakajima and to some extent May N' more then Yoko Kanno's rather bland compositions, but even that can't carry it to legendary status for me.

Also have to say that I've been rather disappointed with Yoko Kanno in recent years. I can't help but feel she's trying to rely on her name to sell CD's rather then actually putting in her best effort. I guess when you realize that you've got 1000's of screaming fanboys that think you are an absolutely flawless composer you start to feel you've peaked and thus just lose interest and just start to go through the motions. That's what this OST feels like, going through the motions.

And to the guy above who wonders who she "borrowed" from, I'm going to have to say John Williams. One of the songs in particular sounds exactly like what you would hear in a Star Wars movie. There was this one website that pointed out four of her songs that sound very similar to other famous songs from around the world, but when I tried pointing it out to some people to show that she borderline lifts from other composers a lot of the time they chose to ignore me or diminish the fact despite the glaring evidence, because everyone knows Yoko Kanno is absolutely flawlessly brilliant right? RIGHT?!

Then again to your average person the truth is believing and hence Yoko Kanno's history of somewhat overstated mastery of the art of music and success.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
i ordered online, but i still haven't receive it yet. i like the carrot song the most. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2