• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Orders Halt on Fansub Links for 11 Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Here we go again. My opinion remains the same. There's no reason for this unless they plan to release these titles in the U.S. themselves.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
some good titles there, hope it means a license, and please be faster than what it took for romeo x juliet, felt like it took funi forever to get it.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
yea... Why these 11 anime?
I've only been watching Junjou Romantica from that list anyway Razz
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
^^^^

Everybody above my post needs to read the update.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Still hoping that Canvas2 and Spice and Wolf are potential license possibilities Razz
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Spice and Wolf

Yeah, same. Bring it over, anybody. Although preferably ADV/Funi for this one, I think.
ayashe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
They better not remove it, if it's not licensed it's fair game. Kadokawa is overstepping their bounds.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
They better not remove it, if it's not licensed it's fair game. Kadokawa is overstepping their bounds.

There speaks the greatest legal mind of his generation. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
I could hear the echoes laughter all the way over here. It would have been more productive if Kadokawa had said "we have licensed these for immediate distribution, so please stop fansub links", otherwise they are just pissing into the wind. Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
The thing I find interesting is that most of these companies keep pecking at C&Ds here and there.

Remember a couple years ago, when a certain Japanese anime company named Media Factory requested ALL of their shows be delisted, including any future shows they may create?
If Kadokawa really cared about fansubs in general it would have sent a similar request a long time ago. Instead, it chose these particular 11 shows for some unknown (as of yet) reason.
Perhaps they've decided to use them in some as-of-yet unannounced streaming project for R1 customers, or maybe they simply want a slightly stronger hand when shopping them around to the few R1 companies that are left (although good luck with that... none of these titles seem like something that could really do well today).

In any case it seems like they have some reason for this, but we just don't know what it is yet.
sonyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
I just checked their website and at least one of the Animes are showing up. The anime is Mamorukun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo and its americanized title will be Venus to Mamoru. I don't see a problem with them asking the torrents be taken off a website Especially if they are licensed. anyway I view this has good news since I watched enjoyed six of the 11 that they asked be taken off the website. anyway here is the link to vensus to mamoru

http://www.kadokawapicturesusa.com/2007/10/venus_to_mamoru.php
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
This is so pointless. They've sent the C&D to Anime--suki but not to the individual fansub groups. There's nothing stopping them from it being torrented on another site, and pretty pointless if they're not going to be licensed.

I've remember the Media Factory thing they've sent to Anime--suki, yet I've managed to search for ARIA (one of their titles) without any problems. (looking forward to the boxset this September!).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
chaosbladeuk wrote:
This is so pointless. They've sent the C&D to Anime--suki but not to the individual fansub groups.

Exactly what I was thinking. Anime Suki doesn't actually host any fansubs. They just provide links to sites that do. It would make a lot more sense if they sent a letter to the actual fansub groups or any of the sites that host them. Anime Suki can take down the links, but they have no direct control over the actual torrents they link to.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
To quote Dr.Cox from "Scrubs": "Giant "Who Cares?!" What is going to stop me from getting these from another tracker/P2P, if I want to? It seems pointless to send a C&D to the ONLY site that would take down those series with only a simple request. If this is the "Let's show them how badass we are by picking on those who we know listen to us".....it is about as usefull as sending a C&D to annon.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well, at least in some defense, the fansubbing of many of these shows has been long completed.

So you can't really ask some to C&D from something they long finished Smile.
And even if it's removed from bittorrent trackers, without a legal alternative to buy it'll just be reuploaded elsewhere.

The only way these sorts of these would be in the least bit effective is coupled with the phrase "And you can purchase these shows from XXXX for $XXXX"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7