• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amuri in Star Ocean DVD Commercials Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
looks hott+mamiko noto's in it...
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
As if there aren't enough moe shows out there ! oh well congrats to the moe fans.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
i was somewhat curious about this, because they have a really good production crew... but why moe?
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't look like my kind of thing on first glance, but I've very much enjoyed everything else Yoshitomo Yonetani has directed, so I think I'll have to check this out. I'm still not really sold on the look of the thing, but I'm curious to see how the complete product turned out.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i was somewhat curious about this, because they have a really good production crew... but why moe?

Because moe sells.

It's nice and has some serious moments. The transformation sequence is kind of naughty.
Steroid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
It has Makino Yui in it, I'll watch anything with her. Except Zegapain. I'm very keen to see it and I've already ordered the OP/ED single.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
Y'know I was wondering about this show when I first heard the title mentioned. And yes, I thought it had something in relation to 'Star Ocean'. I wonder if this show will be similar in the vein of 'Brigadoon'. As 'Yonetani Yoshitomo created and directed that as well. I've always been a fan of 'Yonetani's work like 'Gaogaigar', 'Brigadoon', [have yet to sit and watch 'Betterman'). I'll have to check this title out now that I have a little idea of what it's about.

And with music by 'KnM' composer this should be interesting.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
It has Makino Yui in it, I'll watch anything with her. Except Zegapain. I'm very keen to see it and I've already ordered the OP/ED single.

Why? What's wrong with Zegapain?
Steroid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I've just heard that it's really not that good, plus I'm not really into mecha in the first place. But feel free to sell me on it.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of awesomely terrible.
It really feels like someone gave Yonetani a huge budget and absolute creative freedom, and he went completely bugfuck insane with it. It sort of assaults the senses.
I don't regret watching it, but I think he's a better direction when his more outrageous excesses are someone restrained.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
Oh, I've just heard that it's really not that good, plus I'm not really into mecha in the first place. But feel free to sell me on it.

The first several episodes are kind of like Gundam 00's where they set up the atmosphere and the themes, ideas and mysteries that will become prevelant throughout more than clearly establishing the characters and plot, which caused people to understandably lose interest early on. Same deal with iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia. It's only later in Zegapain that the character development and drama starts to kick in and it brings up some philosophical questions about existentialism that make for a rather interesting and complex story. Even the mecha sequences start to improve later on.

Usual Sunrise stuff, explain absolutely nothing in the beginning other then the setting and have every character get some quick onscreen appearances so we at least know what they look like and what they do and then bring it all together and kick the plot and character development into high gear while answering a few questions from time to time, but always introducing new plot twists and questions that don't get answered until near the very end when the time is appropriate in order to keep things interesting.

The most boring part of a Sunrise mecha series is always the beginning (though usually no less important) which is when most people usually give up so they require comittment and patience from the viewer which unfortunately is a virtue these days and thus it's only the type of show one should pick up if they are sure they can finish it. The satisfication doesn't come from the individual episodes, but from the whole series.

In fact even Yonetani's own Gaogaigar and Betterman (both Sunrise mecha series) were the exact same deal so there's a chance this show might have some surprise in store later on even if he's working solo on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1