• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Keep Fruits Basket, Saiyuki, Tactics, Rave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
the_seventh_l wrote:
I guess there's no chance that Tokyopop could eventually pick up the Kizuna license? It's certainly a money-maker. :O
I'd love it if any company would pick up those BB titles, but in their case I think it's a legal issue (don't really understand, but I don't think it was their decision to stop publishing-- who would quit 3 successful series, after all?).

Anyway, I don't really follow the industry side of things too much, but I'm curious, is TokyoPop cutting back because sales are poor, or did they just stick their fingers into too many series to keep up (or both, since these factors are related)?

Be Beautiful was Central Park Media's yaoi imprint.
THeir anime titles were apparently heavily carried by San Goody & those guys so when they went under, CPM took a big hit
Then the computer company run by the owner of Biblos went under & the guy had apparently soaked all the yaoi profits into it so Biblos (who carried Kizuna, Embracing Love, & Finder) went bye bye. Libre rescues the Biblos zines in Japan, but unofficial word is they made everyone renegotiate the contracts which CPM apparently didn't do. Libre issued a statement that CPM was basically bootlegging their titles. CPM said Libre never contacted them to renegotiate & their attorneys said the Biblos contracts were valid. (Probably because they were in a very bad place fiscally by this time.) They did get a few more volumes out, but they've filed for reorganization & that's been over a yr so they are likely dead in the water.
Basically a whole lot a bad luck (this is my memories of articles posted here)
That leaves several VERY popular yaoi titles frozen. If the Be Beautiful contracts have no weight, why hasn't Libre sold the titles to other yaoi publishers? I read of a Finder copy going for over $100.
My assumption is the Be Beautiful contracts which may have no weight in Japan are effectively blocking the North American Market until they expire or Be Beautiful unloads them
IE-American yaoi fans are in limbo
I did hear a rumor someone is negotiating for the Finder series. If that's the case, there would also be hope the others are available & we might be seeing them.

Quote:
Whatever happened to Gravitation??

Again, an interview linked to here indicated Murakami loved drawing doujinshi far more than the legit stuff so her editor is afraid to push her because she is that close to quiting & just doing smut.

Oh god
BTx. I forgot about that. I've been following it religiously. I so hope they let it finish

The Korean titles are apparently very much at risk.
A couple of them are just about over. Come one, just finish them.
Shikikun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that it won't be the same like some other company*cough*CPM*cough* that forgot to put out the last volume of Slayers manga...
>>
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
I just realized... Although it's rather considerate that we've been informed of potential cancellations, it could actually be worse for Tokyopop's business. It will definitely deter people from starting a newer series, because now, there's too much of a chance that said series will be cancelled.
I definitely agree with this-- I'll be much more wary of starting any multiple volume series from now on. "Once bitten, twice shy," and all that...

CCSYueh wrote:
Be Beautiful was Central Park Media's yaoi imprint.
Basically a whole lot a bad luck (this is my memories of articles posted here)
That leaves several VERY popular yaoi titles frozen.
Thank you for throwing some light on this issue for me; that's the first explanation I've ever seen (beyond the vague phrase "licensing problems"). At least it's confirmed that it wasn't Be Beautiful's fault (they had so many great titles that seemed to sell well that I couldn't imagine why they'd quit).

Quote:
If the Be Beautiful contracts have no weight, why hasn't Libre sold the titles to other yaoi publishers? I read of a Finder copy going for over $100.
Yeah, it's great to know that if times every get really tough I could sell my used copies of Viewfinder v01 & 02 for waaaay more than I paid for them. But I'd much rather have v03 & 04 in my hands (scanalations are nice, but ultimately I want the books!).

Quote:
I did hear a rumor someone is negotiating for the Finder series. If that's the case, there would also be hope the others are available & we might be seeing them.
I have to admit, of those 3 I mentioned, Viewfinder is the one I want most, so this would be great news (okay, a great rumor).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
I have to admit, of those 3 I mentioned, Viewfinder is the one I want most, so this would be great news (okay, a great rumor).

A little more on that rumor, Apparently Yamane sensei herself and an editor on the Libre message boards have said that they are attempting to find a new "Home" for Viewfinder.

One can only hope it's true....
Kimyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Quote:
Whatever happened to Gravitation??

Again, an interview linked to here indicated Murakami loved drawing doujinshi far more than the legit stuff so her editor is afraid to push her because she is that close to quiting & just doing smut.

Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Yeah, I can attest to that. I've got several of her doujinshi and you can really sense the passion that goes into her work. And it is really, really smutty stuff. That's what I love about it.
spimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
i am worrired for the full metal panic novels Sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

Hmmm, have to pick up the English editions of Gakuen Alice... Anyone know if they did volume 7.5 as well as 7 and 8?

They haven't even gotten to volume 3 yet.

Ligene wrote:
Now I'm definitely worried about Scrapped Princess and ARIA if they're only keeping their popular titles.

The Scrapped Princess novels were canceled last year. The manga was finished a long time ago.
.hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know about the status of the Chibi Vampire manga?

(I know the novels are cancelled)
SugarPrincess125

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew that Fruits Basket is going to be safe, but I'm more worried about their other titles, particularly Gauken Alice, Nosatsu Junkie, Onii-chan to Issho, VB Rose, Life and others....I'm going crazy right now. Sad Sad
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Freelance rewriter/editor reports on status of her titles

Am I seriously the only one who misread that on first glance?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Can't imagine they would drop Fruits Basket right when they're getting to the very end of the series, but I think Patachu might be right when he says that this company will be in quite a bit of trouble when it ends. Just for your guys' info, FB ends at volume spoiler[23], which is not far off either.
Re-Elu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that FB is safe, but I wouldn't have thought otherwise.

I'm really worried about Saver though. It's not really a popular series with the main public, but I absolutely love it. However, 6 volumes have been released by TP until now, and it seems like the manga still has a long way to go. Same for Rure, also a series that I quite like (though not as much as Saver), but only 3 volumes out so far and it looks like it's going to be much longer as well. I wouldn't be surprised if these series were discontinued, but I hope not!

Other TP series like Trinity Blood, Loveless and Good Witch of the West are probably safe, since all of them have also spawned quite popular anime series, all of them also licensed in the US. Maybe they'll quit the novels though, but that would be fine by me. I'm collecting the GWotW novels, but I wouldn't really miss them.

But please continue 12 Kingdoms! Sooooo many people were waiting for years for some English publisher to finally license the 12 Kingdoms novels, and now they might be discontinued?

So in summary, my MAIN worries: 12 Kingdoms and Saver.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I just bought Strawberry Marshmallow volume 5, which I already suspected will be the last volume to be published in English, or at least the last one to be published in English for a long time since, from what I understand, Barasui switched the format to short 3-4 page stories or even just single-page gags.

The only other Tokyopop title I currently collect is Yubisaki Milk Tea, for all its pervy softcore goodness for those of us too wussy to buy real hentai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
So, no word on Futari Ecchi's safety? TP gave it the omnibus with a slip case treatment; you'd think it would make it safe D:
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Seriously people, be glad four series so far were saved. Complaining about what is done is pointless in this case. As long as Tokyopop was able to save some of the cash cows and better series, like Chibi Vampire, there is nothing that can be done.

Truthfully I figured Rave Master, Tactics and Fruits Baskets would get the axe though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5